GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dead air conditioner

Andyman

Ready to race!
Hey folks, I need some help. Got into my mk6 this afternoon and the air conditioner is blowing only hot air. I looked through the manual and no dice.

Is there a fuse I can check? The manual doesn't list one,but says other fuses are in the vehicle and must be changed by an VW or authorized mechanic.

The fans do work, just no cold air; even after 20 mins of driving. Also the engine was not super hot or anything to cause the air conditioner to shut off.

Thanks in advance for advise/insight.

Andyman

Geofux

Ready to race!
You should be under warranty, so please take it to the dealer.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Well there are several things I could tell you to do to trouble shoot this problem. However the only one I am going to recommend it that you take it back to the dealer and have them have a look at it.

Andyman

Ready to race!
Thanks guys. I already got an appointment with the dealer....it's not until next week Tuesday and it's blazing hot out here in Albuquerque. I'll be running the ol "480" air conditioner, you know, 4 windows down and 80mph. ;)

vdub10golf

Go Kart Champion
Right after it hit triple digits mine started blowing hot air no matter how cold it was set for...turned out I had to hit the recirculation button which made it cold...but after a week or so it started working fine and havent had a problem since...

Andyman

Ready to race!
Right after it hit triple digits mine started blowing hot air no matter how cold it was set for...turned out I had to hit the recirculation button which made it cold...but after a week or so it started working fine and havent had a problem since...
Interesting....

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
The most common problem I've seen from these A/C systems is a leaky high pressure switch. You lose a lot of refrigerant and the system shuts down.

The TFSI motors we have (GTI atleast), won't have the same issues that the MK5's have with grenading compressors.

alexvtr

I also have issues with my A/C on my MK6 2.5. Happens mostly when it's real hot outside; in those occasions, it will take up to 15 minutes to get cold air (major bummer as it"s when you need it most!). Once it works, the air is nice and cold tho. Other occurences is when it's already working and all the sudden, it shuts down for a little while and comes back after a minute or so.

I have an appointment next week to get that fixed (among tons of stuff unfortunately). I will keep you posted.

Long introduction to my theory: I may be completely wrong, but I have a feeling the dial to control the temperature in the dashboard (and the thermostat linked to it) could be at fault on this and provide false in-car temperature readings. BTW, anyone knows where the reading is taken from?
I could swear that sometimes it blows heated air (not just normal outside air) when I ask for cold but non air-con.

Also, am I the only one who has a hard time to get other thing than either freezing cold or warm air and basically nothing in between? How annoying!
Makes me nostalgic to good ol' "red-to-blue" standard temperature dial instead of this pseudo-smart thermostat crap...

Geofux

Ready to race!
Is that with it set to 'Auto'? I'm sure it's meant to do that because it's sensing the temperature. It gets to the set temperature and then backs off as to not cool down too much, and kicks back in when it needs to.

mdfree

I also have issues with my A/C on my MK6 2.5. Happens mostly when it's real hot outside; in those occasions, it will take up to 15 minutes to get cold air (major bummer as it"s when you need it most!). Once it works, the air is nice and cold tho. Other occurences is when it's already working and all the sudden, it shuts down for a little while and comes back after a minute or so.

I have an appointment next week to get that fixed (among tons of stuff unfortunately). I will keep you posted.

Long introduction to my theory: I may be completely wrong, but I have a feeling the dial to control the temperature in the dashboard (and the thermostat linked to it) could be at fault on this and provide false in-car temperature readings. BTW, anyone knows where the reading is taken from?
I could swear that sometimes it blows heated air (not just normal outside air) when I ask for cold but non air-con.

Also, am I the only one who has a hard time to get other thing than either freezing cold or warm air and basically nothing in between? How annoying!
Makes me nostalgic to good ol' "red-to-blue" standard temperature dial instead of this pseudo-smart thermostat crap...

Not trying to hijack anyone's thread;

Yes I've noticed that the temperature dial seems to have little to no effect on the output temp of the air (fortunately since it's summer, mine blows cold air that doesn't seem to change until the temp dial is past the 2 o'clock position.

The other big problem I have which no one else seems to have is that whenever I engage the AC button the recirculate function also engages. It works right after I start it up, but as soon as I start driving inevitabley it switches into the recirculate mode and pressing the Recirculate button has no effect. WIthout the AC engaged, the recirculate works just fine. Anybody else seen this:iono:

alexvtr

Is that with it set to 'Auto'? I'm sure it's meant to do that because it's sensing the temperature. It gets to the set temperature and then backs off as to not cool down too much, and kicks back in when it needs to.

I hear you, but a "normal" car with a "normal" automatic climate control will deal with this without alternating between 2 extreme settings: warm and humid or freezing cold and dry.

BTW, this stupid system came close to cause me an accident the other day: It was warm and raining (so A/C was "on" and air was directed to the windshield) and all the sudden it cuts off the A/C and starts blowing warm and humid air IN THE WINDSHIELD! Guess what: instant fog in my car on the highway. Way to go, VW...

JMD

Input on Dead AC

Hey All,
This is my first time posting. I've loved this site for years now and I decided it was time to stop being a silent stalker and take the plunge. I love my 4Dr MK6, 6MT overall, but there have been some recurrent headaches, which now at 40K are out of warranty. Most irritating is a dead AC unit, which occurred around 25K (hot air only as several others have mentioned). They replaced the compressor under warranty and air blew cold, but never as cold as when car was new. Then at 39k AC stopped working altogether again. This time, dealer told me, after a $90 AC evaluation, that AC line from condenser to compressor "has chaffed on a coolant clamp and is leaking." The total cost to replace hose including labor is est $529. My question is whether others have had this issue and how they dealt with it? This just seems a little fishy, but maybe it's just the luck of the draw. I've been continually impressed with the knowledge floating around on this site and would appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks!