GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dedicated track pads

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
They are pretty rattley, actually very, sounds almost like something is lose. But the 01 are famous for that.

I used the one in the pic on 6 track days and all summer on the street because its my daily :)

My car are stock power, cup 2 tires and Toyo R888R on OZ 18 and ATS Racelight 19. Very happy so far by how the car works both on track and as a daily. Planing on Rear sway bar to fix some of the understeer and maybe a tune :)

Ooof. That definitely won't last long for me then.

VIR isn't particularly hard on brakes - but there are 2 very heavy ~ 135-45mph brake zones, with one of those immediately after another ~ 105-45mph zone.

I get 12-14 days out of a set of Ferodo DS3.12s and they're still 13mm thick overall. They generate a ton of heat so I replace while they're still "good" because as they get below 1/2 depth they put a lot more heat into the fluid.

Details on setup etc here, plus some photos of my melted ABS sensors due to the heat. :censored:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/brakes/ppbrakeprep

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
That’s not bad. I can deal with noise, but not that cost. On stock calipers, pads were not wearing evenly or managing heat well.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That’s not bad. I can deal with noise, but not that cost. On stock calipers, pads were not wearing evenly or managing heat well.

I swap the pads inside to outside each time on track. I also go to great lengths to make sure everything moves freely without sticking.

The 3.12s cost 2x as much as the EBC RP1s or RPX that @tigeo tried, but last something like 4x longer so it's the better value in the long run.

A lot of these tricks are things people had to do in SCCA showroom stock and IT* classes when OEM calipers were required.

Dilidog

Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 PP
Mine was wearing very evenly as the photo confirmed. I think the nanny-system burnt them pretty bad, always interact, for this season everything is off OFF thanks to the OBDEleven. Looking forward to see the different :)

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
imo titanium shims on PP calipers help more than moving to macan calipers for track use, if budget is a concern. keep in mind people get pad taper with the non-staggered piston config. (larger) 2-piece rotors and brake ducts will help with temps more than calipers themselves.

personally I'd stick to whatever you can easily get in both front/rear. usually that's g-loc/carbotech, isweep, porterfield. but DS2500 is available on FCP.
so why not ferodo ds1.11? it's not that pricey if you buy it from demon-tweeks in the UK.
Any specific titanium shim that you recommend, or did you buy pads that include them?

I'm another huge fan of buying consumables from FCP euro.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

Two different use cases.

Those strips would be better for knowing the caliper temps (those strips only go to 450F), but the paint is better for knowing the rotor temps (which is far more useful for picking an appropriate brake pad). I put a dab of the Genesis paint on my calipers but it's never changed color (so never exceeded ~650F). It won't tell you much in that application.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Two different use cases.

Those strips would be better for knowing the caliper temps (those strips only go to 450F), but the paint is better for knowing the rotor temps (which is far more useful for picking an appropriate brake pad). I put a dab of the Genesis paint on my calipers but it's never changed color (so never exceeded ~650F). It won't tell you much in that application.
I knew the paint was the more accurate option, I was just looking for an excuse to be a cheapskate. I'll order a bottle of Genesis and call it good. Thanks!

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I bought some from girodisc and yperion and been content with both. I think Yperion might be a bit easier to buy for stock calipers.
I'll give those a shot with the EBC blue and see how the temps look. I have RS3 ducts so I'm hoping that is sufficient for 15-20 minute sessions when I do an SCCA time trial event in May.

Last edited:

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
I'll give those a shot with the EBC blue and see how the temps look. I have RS3 ducts so I'm hoping that is sufficient for 15-20 minute sessions when I do an SCCA time trial event in May.
I had EBC Blues with a BBK + ducts and they weren't great so just be careful. 3-4 laps in, the stopping power felt weaker each braking zone after that. When I went to swap back to my street pads they were pretty heavily pitted with about half the pad still left, I'm guessing they couldn't stand up to the temps (didn't use paint so don't know how hot they actually got)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had EBC Blues with a BBK + ducts and they weren't great so just be careful. 3-4 laps in, the stopping power felt weaker each braking zone after that. When I went to swap back to my street pads they were pretty heavily pitted with about half the pad still left, I'm guessing they couldn't stand up to the temps (didn't use paint so don't know how hot they actually got)
I run them in the rear so no drama, I would run something better up front, they are a 900 deg pad for sure.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I was a big fan of the Pagid Yellows RSL29 when I was running them, they'd at least 8 events, maybe even 10 . FCP Euro carries Pagid too.
They how that specific compound for the Porsche now so that's a win there, so might be worth seeing if they will stock them for the MQB as well to use as consumable with the awesome warranty.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Making a leap of faith. I have "Powerstop Track Day Spec" pads coming to me this weekend. Install ~ Tuesday. Max rated operating temp ~982* F

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-track-day-spec-brake-pads/

NOTE: don't confuse these with the standard Track Day pads, which are geared more for novice drivers.

I suspect they'll be happiest up to ~800* F, but this is conjecture. Reviews on them in the heavier car community have been excellent. Good Mu (friction/bite) and heat tolerant.

They won't last as long as the Ferodo DS1.11 and 3.12, but they're 1/3 to 1/4 the price of admission.

EBC suppliers couldn't get me the RPX front/BS NDX rears in time, and the price was still up there ($350-400, I believe, for front & rear)

Meanwhile, HHR (our home track) is pretty easy on brakes. 1.82 miles, only 3 hard brake zones, evenly spaced apart for ~15 -20 seconds of cool-down between each corner. 1:30-1:35 second laps are optimal for a door slammer. v-Max 105mph on the longest straight going into turn 4.

If I can get all 4-5 track events (for my 2024 season) out of these pads, it will absolutely be worth the entry level cost ($200 with my shop discounts).

They won't be used on the street, except driving to and from track days. They might be "squealy", and will definitely be dusty.

1712424862976.png

I also bought dedicated high-carbon front rotors (340mm) for these pads, in case the PS TDS end up chewing into the rotors.

My street setup will remain unaffected this way. Track rotors have a 2-yr warranty on them through my supplier.

Hope it makes sense over text.

1712424935362.png
1712425111553.png