GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detail Starter Kit buffer - pads - wax?

chip1

Ready to race!
Many years back I worked for my friend back home at his detail shop. It has been a while so looking for a good starter kit to maybe do some small side jobs/etc. plus my own vehicles.

I know back then he used makita buffer but that is out of my price range for now.

I know that these 3 seem to be mentioned -
PORTER-CABLE 7424XP and Harbor Freight's 6 and Griots Garage 6.
Suggestions on a good starter kit. Maybe even an all in one with pads/wax.

I have the basics for washing, etc.
Detailer's Pro Series Wheel Glaze
Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator Pkg. of 3
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit
Sonax 230200-755 Wheel Cleaner
303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz.
Viking Diamond Weave Microfiber Windshield & Glass Cloth - 2 Pack
Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths (Pack of 3)
Stoner 92164 Invisible Glass for Window, Windshield and Mirror Cleaner - 22 oz.

Still want to add the
foam gun and foaming car shampoo just not sure on what package.

Also I use a leave blower for drying car off than wipe down with Magnet
drying Towel.

Thanks

ducatiti

Ready to race!
I'm am new to detailing but I went all out this time around.

Best advice I can suggest is to use a Speedy Prep Towel instead of the traditional clay. Instead of claying your car for an hour 45 mins or so, you can do it in 15 minutes or less with this. Lasts a long time and you can just clean it after.

For the DA polisher, I went with Griots because of the lifetime warranty and it is basically he most powerful in its price range to include the PC and Meguiar's.

As for polish/wax selection. I went with the follow meguiar's products:

M105
M205
M21 Synthetic Sealant
M26 Yellow wax applied after leaving the M21 for 12 hours to cure

In between waxes, I use Optimum products to include their instant detailer and rinseless washes.

Also bought cleaners from the detailing line such as glass cleaner, wheel & tire cleaner, APC, etc. Meguiar's spray bottles are just a pleasure to organize and use.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
You really don't need a foam gun. I have one, but a lot of the soap goes to waste tbh. A good ph neutral car shampoo with a good car wash is all you need. The problem with kits is that sometimes it's better to use a product and then when it's out, try another. The m105 is a very good polish and finishes down nicely, it can be difficult during humid days. HD products are very popular as well as car pro's polishes. Settle on a polisher and look at reviews and what others use and try different stuff to see what you like. Don't run right out and buy a kit, not all products made by the same company are always equal.. they might make great polishes but their sealants might suck.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
So what did you end up buying? Just realized that we have a similar car purchased around the same time so wanted to share some after pics of my first detail job, ever:

Picture after a couple of months after without washing...Just Optimum Quick Detailer and/or Optimum No Rinse in a spray bottle.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Per your request, I will post more info about my previous detail but please note that I am far from a pro. I have spent years waxing my cars without even claying it. I'm at work at the moment and will post tonight.

But this detailing thing is becoming to be addicting or maybe OCD?

For now, just wanted to share a few of my arsenal I have collected the last month or so. Although if you maintain your vehicle regularly, soap and water would suffice but these make it a lot easier: