GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DG Springs + Bilstein B6/B8 Dampers: Daily Driving Impressions Wanted

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have a 4 door manual with 9.5K miles on it, with DG Springs, APR sways (soft front, rear medium) and stock dampers.

Suspension gurus throughout this forum confirm that the Bilstein B6/B8 is the way to go with this setup for handling performance, and Bilstein is generally acknowledged tobe the superior damper over all comers in sophistication and performance. (Barring crazy expensive stuff like Ohlins) AND the Mark VI version is much "softer" than the Mark V version.

Can somebody compare the Bilsteins vs. stock Sachs for me in terms of day to day, over potholes, over road imperfections feel? Does the added damping ability of the Bilsteins provide a better ride, or is it just harsher?

After getting the DG's the ride is firmer and more controlled, but somehow the stock shocks don't feel quite sophisticated enough to pull it off.

Bilsteins are not cheap. Pros and Cons of Bilsteins vs. stock Sachs for daily use please, if anybody has any.

Currently our fearless spam hammer Grambles hems and haws over whether to buy Bilsteins or Konis with his DG's. He fears being pummelled by a non-adjustable performance shock. Are his fears justified? Or has Bilstein nailed it?

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
Great question, get out of my head! I'm torn between Koni Yellows and Bilstein Sports with VWR springs. Leaning towards the Konis atm, but :iono:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking at the same combo (DGs + MK6 Bilstein Sports). Bring on the feedback!

Noize

Go Kart Champion
On order, springs came today. Probably a week or more out on the B8s. Will report back.

Last edited:

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Bump. Seriously, I expected 15 replies by now. Nobody with a review on DG+ Sachs then to Bilstein damper review?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
There are already some reviews on the forum, at least on the DG threads.