GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did my first wheel repair!

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Got these for a great price, just had a huge curb rash on one wheel. After months of putting it off, I finally fixed it today!

My first wheel repair came out a whole lot better than I expected. It's still not perfect, but you'd literally have to be 3 inches away to see the slight imperfections. Overall, I'm happy. Only took 6 hours while casually watching TV and only cost me $50 since I already had the dremel.

EDIT: this was the DIY I followed:
http://m.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507574&styleid=13

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited:

nik

Go Kart Champion
wow that came out nice!

had similar but shallower rash on my wheels too when I bought them.. used various grits of bodywork sandpaper to get it out as you may have above (no dremmel). Only issue I had is the clear I used wasn't that good (generic autopart store touch up stuff) so it shows a bit.

Its not that hard as long as you're patient and have a good eye to make sure you're not taking too much meat off the wheel or gouging it with the sanding paper

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. I thought I needed filler at first but that would've meant welding was needed. I decided to try it without filler at first, and it was smooth. There are a few dips as I didn't sand down to the lowest point but you can see it at a certain angle.

I'm gonna keep the lip edges as polished raw aluminum for now. I'm gonna see how opticoat holds up against the oxidation and if that fails, I'll get it cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
That how to is the one I used on my lips, best one on the Internet!

:thumbup: it was the most detailed one, with the tools and procedure documentation along with pictures and results.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Is the "raw" aluminum coated with clear? I remember vaguely reading somewhere that the aluminum could discolour due to wheel cleaners, brake dust etc. if left completely bare, unless you regularly wax. Or does the opticoat take care of that? (I'm not too familiar with the product)

and that site looks familiar!

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Is the "raw" aluminum coated with clear? I remember vaguely reading somewhere that the aluminum could discolour due to wheel cleaners, brake dust etc. if left completely bare, unless you regularly wax. Or does the opticoat take care of that? (I'm not too familiar with the product)

and that site looks familiar!

It is not coated with anything. I plan on opticoating the whole wheel including the bare lips. Opticoat is a synthetic nanocoating that is similar to a clearcoat. We will see if it works!

Draz

Ready to race!
It is not coated with anything. I plan on opticoating the whole wheel including the bare lips. Opticoat is a synthetic nanocoating that is similar to a clearcoat. We will see if it works!

I would be skeptical about Opticoat holding up for over a month. If you were able to do such a great job at restoring that damage, I'm sure that you are able to just re-clear the repaired lips. There is an aerosol clear coat that is two part or 2K, similar to what body shops use and as durable as professional clear, it's called SprayMax 2K aerosol clear coat:http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray-paint/spraymax-2k-clearcoat.aspx

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I would be skeptical about Opticoat holding up for over a month. If you were able to do such a great job at restoring that damage, I'm sure that you are able to just re-clear the repaired lips. There is an aerosol clear coat that is two part or 2K, similar to what body shops use and as durable as professional clear, it's called SprayMax 2K aerosol clear coat:http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray-paint/spraymax-2k-clearcoat.aspx

If opticoat doesn't hold up, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

wow you did some great work on the rashed wheels

Thanks! I really like the end result.