GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor///// Radiator Identification Senso

Djaxnl

I've had this issue with the U102F and U1030 radiator sensor codes on and off for a couple for years. Getting to the point that I won't be able to pass emissions, so I just got back from the dealer and VW is covering the radiator and sensor replacement under the PZEV warranty.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I've had this issue with the U102F and U1030 radiator sensor codes on and off for a couple for years. Getting to the point that I won't be able to pass emissions, so I just got back from the dealer and VW is covering the radiator and sensor replacement under the PZEV warranty.
Damn... huge update...

are you past the 10yr/120k mile marker used for the intake flapper issues?

Same boat as you with U102F and U1030 being an issue for inspection.. about 12 months past due now :x

Djaxnl

Mine's a '13 with ~71k miles. Haven't had any intake flapper issues. I remember that being an issue when I had my A3, but that was an FSI.

I made it a point to specify looking at the radiator sensor under the PZEV warranty from when I made the service appointment. From what the dealer said they had to diag to confirm the sensor being the issue and run it by VW for coverage, but doesn't seem like there were any issues getting it approved.

postbox

Damn, what an ingenious piece of... engineering!

I'm totally for the emissions reduction but so much effort is put into this with the only consequence of end user being screwed!
Really impressed. Yet another control module just to measure the temp, encrypt it and sending down to the ECU. Wow!

Even if some users would have put and aftermarket radiators without that special coating - would it be so significant to change overall emission numbers?!

That's it for the prelude.

Got my sensor broken off while installing Wagner inter-cooler. Now I have two wires sticking out of this prime-air crap box.

I'm curious if anyone tried to mock the broken off NTC sensor with a constant resistor? Yeah, looks like temp read from it is being matched against the actual coolant temp but there could be a sweet spot where radiator temp is always somewhere between 45C and 85C - let's say in a hot climate...
But still won't match the coolant temp of the cold engine, dang it!

Was hoping the ECU fault snapshot would have the temperature at which ECU has detected the discrepancy! No bueno!

In my case coolant temp in fault's snapshot is always around 69C, no matter what resistor I put between NTC wires.

If we were able to figure out the curve between resistence and temp we could just buy an aftermarket NTC sensor with matching specs and attach it to any radiator or actually anywhere else with similar temps.

UPD: I think the base 25C value for the NTC sensor used is around 50kOhm. 40 and 50kOhm resistors gave the longest (few days) drive without "implausable signal" error.

Last edited:

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
looks like i'm joining the U102F club. i read the fine print for the 15 year/150k warranty at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10128378-9999.pdf and it says "from the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee", which means i'm outta luck there since i bought 2nd hand.

i have another year to go before inspection so i have some time, but the CEL is also super annoying so i'm not opposed to fixing sooner.

the mercedes part is up to $170 now which is absurd. brand new radiator+sensor around $450.

couple questions...

1) do you need to disconnect any radiator hoses if you're just replacing the sensor?
2) i have a 2011....so the radiator itself is older than 10 years now. should i pay more and just replace the entire thing?

thanks in advance.

postbox

@blingdub, I think you can still have smog check done since that error shows up after few days only.
Enough time to get your smog readiness.

Check engine light is quite annoying, I totally agree. I'm using my ODB dongle now to check for real faults.

You don't need to disconnect radiator hoses to get the sensor replaced but it's quite a job nonetheless.

Personally I'm thinking of installing higher flow CSF radiator hence the accepted solution of reinstalling the new sensor is less than ideal for me.

I've heard that some know how to code certain faults out of ECU but don't have any details.

postbox

Ok, some preliminary success with 50K (not sure what the base temperature is) NTC sensor of ebay.
Key was to use a glue gun to get good connection between the radiator and sensor. Not sure how long it will last but certainly long enough for a smog check.

Also currently it's relatively cold here, might have contributed.

GTI radiator temp sensor.jpg

gti-ntc-50k-sensor.jpg

Ok, now I can start looking for a decent Tyrolsport radiator.

Last edited:

Spin

Ok, some preliminary success with 50K (not sure what the base temperature is) NTC sensor of ebay.
Key was to use a glue gun to get good connection between the radiator and sensor. Not sure how long it will last but certainly long enough for a smog check.

Also currently it's relatively cold here, might have contributed.

Ok, now I can start looking for a decent Tyrolsport radiator.
Hi. Could you update me on your experience with this sensor / thermistor? If it worked, could you please advise me on the specific model to purchase and how to install it? I see 50k thermistors listed on eBay at a low price, but I'm unsure how to use / install it here.

Also, could you provide a source for reasonably priced VW / Mercedes sensors? I found ones priced at $140 from Latvia and such, but I'm uncertain about delivery. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

postbox

@Spin, yes it does work indeed, but thermo-glue melts away at high temps, prob need to use temp resistant epoxy glue.
Control module box found it's place in a car battery box.

I bought my NTC sensor on ebay, it's listing pic is attached above. You could glue the sensor to the top of radiator, where there are no fins and some room for the flat sensor and wires. It has to rest on the body of radiator wo an air gap.

Similar sensor with larger inner hole diameter would work even better, because then it can be secured by one of the bolts (or screws) holding radiator in place. Hole of the one I bought is too small.

As for buying the whole thing, the part number seems to be 2219055600 and I wouldn't hesitate to order it from Latvia - seller I'm looking at has 55K+ sales and over 98% rating. No comments on it's price though 🤬