GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 8 Sensor OPS Retrofit

Timo

Ready to race!
How would the sensors fit into the grill of the front R bumper? Would you need to buy additional clips or something?

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
How would the sensors fit into the grill of the front R bumper? Would you need to buy additional clips or something?

I just looked at a picture of the inside of a R bumper on ebay and it looks like they go on in the same way as the non R. Slightly different locations and the wire harness might take a little more creativity to run and clip in but should be just as easy.

That said it looks like the sidemarkers are in different locations on the R so PLA might be harder if you wanted to add it.

edit: I found a thread where someone circled the location on their car... http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14651

Timo

Ready to race!
ya looks like it's integrated into the grills. Found some pics that show them more clearly. Any idea if these are parts that can be bought for mounting the sensors into the grill like that?

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
ya looks like it's integrated into the grills. Found some pics that show them more clearly. Any idea if these are parts that can be bought for mounting the sensors into the grill like that?

My guess would be you have to buy grills specifically for the parking sensors. The sensors slide and clip into the holders so I'm betting on the R there is a specific part number for grills with parking sensors that have the holders molded in. Best thing to do would be ask one of the people with an R that have the sensors.
On the bright side you wouldn't have to paint them since the sensors are black:thumbup:

You could always jerry rig something but it wouldnt look as clean as OEM.

edit: found this on ecs http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_R--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Bumper/ES1878080/ seems to be the lower center grill with sensors. The side grills they have dont appear to have the holders so those might be integrated into a different piece.

Last edited:

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
So I received my PLA 2.0 kit in the mail today... I will hopefully be able to test it today or tomorrow. Looks like I will need to lengthen one of the harnesses since it is only 18 inches long.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
could this be used with the audible only? or would it be useless that way?

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
could this be used with the audible only? or would it be useless that way?

Park assist would be useless but if you get the 8 sensor kit yes it would work fine audible only. Even the lowline radios can show the OPS part even though it is a much more simplified display.

I looked at the coding for my RNS-315 and OPS is already turned on by default so the only coding required is the Park Module. You have to wire into CAN anyway so really no matter what on US cars you will get OPS unless you went to an aftermarket radio. Even then see this thread about an upcoming accessory to fix the factory integration part including parking sensors....

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
Park assist would be useless but if you get the 8 sensor kit yes it would work fine audible only. Even the lowline radios can show the OPS part even though it is a much more simplified display.

I looked at the coding for my RNS-315 and OPS is already turned on by default so the only coding required is the Park Module. You have to wire into CAN anyway so really no matter what on US cars you will get OPS unless you went to an aftermarket radio. Even then see this thread about an upcoming accessory to fix the factory integration part including parking sensors....

I'm having an ipad installed next week so using the radio is not an option. I'm going to run the back up camera to the rear view mirror so I'll live with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have got the coding to work. The sensors are all sitting in my passenger seat but I have the buttons and module wired in. Dunno why its showing a passat instead of a golf... gotta figure that one out

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright so a small update on this... Everything is installed but one of the ABS sensors was bad and popped all sorts of warning lights. I graphed it using VCDS and its output was all over the place. So I have to wait for a replacement from china. Unless someone on here can get one for less than $100 ($150 at the dealer for just one). Same sensor the CC, EOS, and Tiguan use apparently. (WHT003858A)

Anyway before i went fast enough for the warning lights to go crazy I was able to attempt using park assist and it did turn the wheel and tried to park like it should. It just ended up halfway out in the street when it thought it was done because of the bad sensor. So hopefully I will have extra instructions in the DIY for this shortly.

Honestly not much different from the 8 sensor except the extra sensors and a code change in the ABS module and Steering Assist module.

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Figured I'd post a reply so anyone subscribed knows that I added the PLA 2.0 instructions to the DIY. Let me know if you have any questions.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. So I discovered why the PLA will be difficult on a GTI: in fact the side markers on the front bumper are in different spots than the Golf. So be warned if you have a GTI with front side markers and want PLA.

gjas181

Passed Driver's Ed
Well my first post became too long for the forum so here is the Coding instructions.

PLA 2.0 Coding:

First the easy one... Steering assist module.
Open 44-Steering Assist.

You'll see this.

Click Adaptation. In the drop down you'll see Installation Park Steer Assist.

Which brings you here. Change it to "1" for installation of PLA 1.5/2.0.

Close out of that module.

Now if you have already installed the ABS sensors on the rear wheels you probably already had an "Oh Shit" moment when your idiot lights lit up like a Xmas tree. Don't worry this will be fixed after some coding!

Open 03-ABS Brakes

Click coding

We will be coding these last two bytes If you haven't enabled XDS before you might as well enable it now... Its a nice feature. If you don't want to it's not essential for this to work. If you just enabled XDS save the code and come back to this screen.

Click LCode2 at the top of the window.

This is the first of the two bytes you will change. The one with XDS on the previous screen. Since its enabled on my car thats why bit 3 is checked. You will want to check bit 0. This is for PLA 1.5.

Click on the last byte.

Check bits 4 and 6. This is for PLA 2.0 ABS sensors and will clear your idiot lights.

Exit out of the open coding windows and hit Do It! Coding for PLA 2.0 is now complete. Rejoice and go play with your new shiny button.

Here are the finished pictures of bumpers, buttons, and radio. The radio changes to park 360 (showing side sensors) when you start moving. Excuse the dirty car haha.

I will add a video or two once my replacement ABS Sensor gets here showing the car parking itself. I tried it a few times with the busted sensor but parallel it would end up halfway out in the street when it thought it was done and bay space was equally bad. The car did steer itself though lol.