GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps Install

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to installing my ECS Carbon Fiber Mirror caps the other night - figured I would post here as I don't think I saw any threads talking about them or any photos of them already installed before I got mine.

I ordered these: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mk6-carbon-fiber-mirror-cap-set/007461ecs03~ecs/

They seemed solid enough for what they are. Not exactly a structural part of a light-weight mod, more for cosmetics.
I plan on adding a few more pieces in the coming time to complete the look I am going for with this car.

First step is popping the mirror out. Tug the mirror straight back to pop it out of its socket where its held by the adjuster. Not for the faint of heart...
Screenshot 2023-04-18 084623.png

Once that's out, remove these two screws (I think they are t20?)
20230416_105238.jpg

Once those screws are out, press down on these clips:
Screenshot 2023-04-18 082153.png

That will remove the OEM mirror cap.

Assembly should be as simple as just popping the new Carbon Fiber caps right on. It is not.
I knew going into this that aftermarket body parts are usually a crap-shoot where you very often have to "massage" the new part into place to fit correctly.
These are no different.

Using my m12 rotary & 2 Dremel attachments I was able to get the job done relatively simply. Just had to do a lot of test fitting, trimming, re-test fit, re-trim - rinse & repeat looking for where things don't line up and adjusting.
20230417_203312.jpg

The trimming I had to do was on two pieces.

The CF mirror caps came with an entire leg/post/standoff that is not necessary. Not sure if its there for manufacturing or what - but its not on the OEM mirror cap and the Carbon one does not fit unless you trim it off completely. This area is circled in red below. The clips circled in yellow are infact necessary, but mine where entirely too fat to fit into the slots. Using a grinding wheel, I ground them down time and time again until it seemed like it fit.

20230417_201026.jpg

Then, for the trim that we took the screws out of earlier - that also needs some trimming.
The CF mirror cap "slots" into the trim on the top half.
Its hard to picture until you see it - but in the ridge here, there are little supports that need to be cut back so the CF mirror cap can slot into place. This is where I spent most of my time.
Test fit, look to see where there is interference - trim plastic, rinse & repeat. Eventually it will slot into place with patience & a bit of time. I circled a few of the areas where the supports got trimmed. All along the top half of this pieces you need to trim these supports. Again, this will make much more sense if you are doing this install and are looking at it in person.
I did most of this install at night, so I was kind of rushing and didn't take time to take all the photos that I could have.
20230417_200722.jpg

Once the CF finally snaps into the clips from step 2, you are ready to put the screws & mirror back in.

Finished product:
20230417_192718.jpg