GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Mount your plates with magnets

Removing the bumper might take you a bit of time the first time, but it's not that difficult. If you have another person to help, even easier.

As for the the plates being stolen, they look like they're bolted on because of the nylon fasteners. So unless you live in an area where you have thieves randomly pulling on plates to steal, or you have friends that know that they come off and steal them to piss you off, there shouldn't be any issues.

Only problem I could think of is if you're in a crash and the plate comes off, you get fined for not having them bolted to the bumper. But I'm sure the cops would have more important things to pick on in an accident.

Here are some pics I just took. It's a bit dark and blurry, but you get the idea.
FRONT:

REAR:

Why haven't we thought of that before....
Seen it in person, it really is magical. Its on the for good, spirited driving in heavy rain storm over partly bumpy road didnt knock it off. I'd say its on there for good, unless you want to take if off for cleaning/taking pictures.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
i dont get it for the rear...
but for the front, im sure it will pass as a fix it ticket if you need front plates but dont wanna run them.
or keep the plate in the trunk and if a cop pulls you over, tell them you need to take the bumper to get drilled(and show them that you have the plate)

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Yea I don't see the point in this... like grambles mention a nick or bump and the front may go flying off... and the rear plates make no sense to me. The time and effort to place a drill-free-hole bumper is kinda pointless.

ma-bo-

Ready to race!
Lol this really is only for the anal and OCD. I could leave the plate off and deal with the cop if I get pulled over, but honestly, I'm too old and lazy to be dealing with that shit anymore. But I want to be able take off the plate for photo ops and detailing. So what does one do? Tow hook mount, zip ties or this.

Yes, as Gambles has said, it COULD come off if it got caught on something or bumped, but at that point the plate coming off would be the least of my worries. I'd be looking at a new bumper...
I know, plate flying off could be a hazard and what not, but as I said my bumper would be wrecked before I'd be worrying about that. The top magnets hold it fairly strong, plus it's clipped in on the bottom.

I didn't plan on the rear though. But since the dealer left those off as well, I decided why not.
It makes detailing a hell of a lot easier now. That's about the only benefit.

But like I said, it'll only be worth it for the anal and OCD.

If the GTi had flat areas and dedicated mounting points on the bumper for plates like other cars do, I wouldn't bother with something like this.

Lol this really is only for the anal and OCD. I could leave the plate off and deal with the cop if I get pulled over, but honestly, I'm too old and lazy to be dealing with that shit anymore. But I want to be able take off the plate for photo ops and detailing. So what does one do? Tow hook mount, zip ties or this.

Yes, as Gambles has said, it COULD come off if it got caught on something or bumped, but at that point the plate coming off would be the least of my worries. I'd be looking at a new bumper...
I know, plate flying off could be a hazard and what not, but as I said my bumper would be wrecked before I'd be worrying about that. The top magnets hold it fairly strong, plus it's clipped in on the bottom.

I didn't plan on the rear though. But since the dealer left those off as well, I decided why not.
It makes detailing a hell of a lot easier now. That's about the only benefit.

But like I said, it'll only be worth it for the anal and OCD.

If the GTi had flat areas and dedicated mounting points on the bumper for plates like other cars do, I wouldn't bother with something like this.

Its no doubt a lot of work, but the satisfied feeling of having a completely clean bumper (front + rear) is well worth the trouble. I guess no body is anal enough to spend time cleaning the edges and back with the wash mitt. I can see many other application to this as well: photoshoot, cleaning, swaping plates when police are after you, switch to german plate for photoshoot etc.

postbox

This is genius, thanks a lot. Will follow your path

I think correct outside magnet diameter for the front is 1" (0.75" for non-GTI (golf) license plate frame).

And license plate frame part number is 5K0807285E9B9.

Last edited: