GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY oil change from hell

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Well i have 9500 miles on my GTI so I went on base to get some oil. I wanted it to meet 504 specs. Well all they had was Castrol. Well since Castrol is owned by BP I didnt buy that. I couldnt get a filter either. Off base i go well I found some Mobil 1 ESP for about $130 for 5 liters. :cry:

Oil filter $5

SO I go home and cant get the car on the Ramps. Finally get it up I then pop open the hood OH FREAKING GREAT MY INTAKE ISNT ALL THE WAY CONNECTED TO MY MAF TUBE!!!!:mad0259:

Now i go looking for my oil filter removal tool Its nowhere to be found.
So i do the screwdriver trick and of course oil comes out making a mess. I have a brick driveway..
i then break out the new filter....
WRONG ONE !! IT HAS A FEMALE FITTING NOT A MALE FITTING!!!! FML

SO i cant start the car to move it off the ramps and the VW dealership is now closed...
UGH
I did get the blackstone sample done and will send it out Tuesday

Rant off

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Doesn't sound like your day!

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
$130 for oil? uhhhhhhh yikes

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
Suck. It's never a good day when whatever you do takes longer, doesn't work out and then doesn't get finished up because you either need more parts or the ones you have don't work... Blah. I'll try to send some good karma your way.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
$130 for oil? uhhhhhhh yikes

Yeah..........
It would of been $35 but Im not giving a dime to BP.
Gas in England is like $6-$7 but I get it on base for $3

But hey my wife and I flew to Amsterdam round trip for $110:thumbup:

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm not the only one having a terrible day.

Take your mind off of it all and relax. Look at the bright part of your day. Be happy for whatever you can. Don't think about your trouble and entertain yourself.

;)

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone think any damage from the Carbonio intake not connected? It wasnt off all the way and I didnt throw any codes. the top was connected the bottom had a 1/2 inch gap

path

Ready to race!
Yeah..........
It would of been $35 but Im not giving a dime to BP.
Gas in England is like $6-$7 but I get it on base for $3

But hey my wife and I flew to Amsterdam round trip for $110:thumbup:

you gotta buy stuff from BP...if they go under who is going to pay for all the oil clean up!?!

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Anyone think any damage from the Carbonio intake not connected? It wasnt off all the way and I didnt throw any codes. the top was connected the bottom had a 1/2 inch gap

You are probably fine as long as you didn't drive through any dust storms, and it was off for only a short time

saucer

Leadfoot
I got under my car to install a goldplug the first week I had it and was quite frustrated to find about a dozen more screws between me and the oil pan than I was used to with the MKV.

However, it was very nice to find that the skidplate was very well insulated with blocks of air to deaded road noise I assume. The oil pan was also insulated, with a felt blanket, but I have no idea why...?

Good to see some aerodynamic work under the car as well. (Combs hanging near the rear tires.)

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Just curious, why didn't you let them do the 10K change?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I usually have changed my oil on my previous car before going VAG Audi B7 and now GTI... I hear its PITA on both of this cars to change the oil...kinda good we have 3 years free schedule maintenance here in the states

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I usually have changed my oil on my previous car before going VAG Audi B7 and now GTI... I hear its PITA on both of this cars to change the oil...kinda good we have 3 years free schedule maintenance here in the states

It wouldnt of been a PITA if i had the right filter and a filter wrench

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Just for my help can you let me know where to get the right oil filter if you dont go to VW