GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does your front suspension creak when cold? (esp over bumps)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I have to go over a few speed bumps in sub 45F degree weather in my TDI. It seems like the car creaks when going over the bumps, but only when cold.

The sound is most comparable to an old wooden door opening and closing quickly.

Anyone else with this particular issue? :thumbdown:

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
sounds about right, rubber hardens when cold and the pushrod inside the struts would creak as its sliding up and down, at least until it warms up via friction.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
sounds about right, rubber hardens when cold and the pushrod inside the struts would creak as its sliding up and down, at least until it warms up via friction.

Sounds like a probable scenario, I was looking for a technical explanation since the suspension of the car is otherwise perfect.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
My stock suspension creeks on speed bumps too.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hmm interesting well looks like this is "normal" then.

Mckidd

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my control arm bushings replaced because of creaking in the cold. This was on an early 2010 GTI. There is a TSB for faulty control arm bushings on the 2009's.

ride106

Ready to race!
Edit - McKidd, you beat me to it. Mine is also an early 2010.
---
Its common, yes, but it should not be normal.

The squeaking is coming from your lower control arm bushings. I had the same issue last winter. At that point the car was 6 mo and I found it embarrassing, frankly. Sounded like I was driving an 88 buick instead of the original hot hatch.

(Note - if your suspension creaks and groans independently of the cold weather, then check for suspension spacers left in your springs. Its a piece of hard plastic that occasionally is missed by the prep guys on vehicle delivery. Turning the wheels hard left or right and looking into the wells should immediately expose it if the piece still exists.)

At 10K they replaced the bushings, despite the mechanics denying hearing any squeaking. That helped despite cold weather for about 6 weeks, and then the squeaks returned somewhat. Noise went away again in the summer, as expected, but has returned once more to haunt me.

Coming up on 30K in the next few weeks. I'm going to mention it again but ask for a different version of the rubber polymer or something... I have to get my clutch throw out bearing replaced as well, so it should be a fun dealer visit.

For what it's worth, there's a TSB out on the issue for MK5 jettas and golfs. I attached it here. Put it into four JPGs, apparently the max size for a PDF on this forum is 19.5kb.

Attachments

• TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_1.jpg
    TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_2.jpg
    TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 3,515
  • TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_3.jpg
    TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_3.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,544
  • TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_4.jpg
    TSB 40-09-02 Front suspension creaking noise (march 16, 2009)_Page_4.jpg