GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

downpipe questions

03boostedGTi

Ready to race!
im looking on getting a downpipes because i will be going stage2 in a month or so. ive heard people talking about certain tsi's wont work with certain downpipes. its all a little much for me to comprehend if anyone can break it down lol. another question is where can i find an "ebay" downpipes because for me its pointless to buy a 600$ apr DP, yes i know its quality but iv ran ebay shit before and it runs fine. you can flame me all you want, i know what i want:).
i know the obx downpipes on eBay is cheap but idk if it will fit my tsi. so any suggestion ?

MKsixGTI

Ready to race!
can i get the godspeed DP with a cat? I want to remain emissions compliant in Ontario and I think I would need the cat.

P

plac

can i get the godspeed DP with a cat? I want to remain emissions compliant in Ontario and I think I would need the cat.

forget about emissions with any downpipe. some part of your test will fail. whether it be readiness lights, high emissions, or visual inspection.

MKsixGTI

Ready to race!
get the downpipe. then get flashed, i kno apr does not throw a cel

It is not about the CEL, we actually have to get emissions tested every 2 years in ontario. I did a cat delete on my old civic, and the bitch would never pass, I had to keep putting the cat back in.

We get emissions tested and have to pass in order to get our plate stickers.

bozaman

Ready to race!
forget about emissions with any downpipe. some part of your test will fail. whether it be readiness lights, high emissions, or visual inspection.

this is a topic that's been running through my mind as i consider next upgrade steps, so i'm curious...

if you are not going to pass emissions with a dp for any or all of the reasons you list then why install it? yes, you get more power but you're either a) going to fail your inspection/test/renewal and have to fix it, or b) go through the process to put the stock dp back on (and who knows what else...) and run a stock ecu program once a year, or every other year, etc.

then if all of that is the case, why does any company even offer a high-flow cat? it would seem to be a lot of additional expense in the dp for absolutely zero benefit.

i could see that a dp with a high-flow cat (100 cell, 200 cell or whatever) will result in increased emissions but will you absolutely fail? or, is it a risk that can be potentially mitigated by getting a dp with a cat?

don't get me wrong, i'm not necessarily an environmental activist either but i want to take some reasonable steps to stay within the regs and still enjoy an upgraded car.

this is all very confusing to me and i'm not trying to be an a**, but i've not been able to get a lot of good information on this topic from just passive browsing.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Same here...what's the point of doing anything short of cat less if you are still going to fail? Here in my city, we do an annual emissions inspection with a sniffer in the tailpipe...that's all...they don't hook up to your odb or get under the car...i can't imagine getting a dp if im just going to fail this emissions inspection.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
...if you are not going to pass emissions with a dp for any or all of the reasons you list then why install it?

...what's the point of doing anything short of cat less if you are still going to fail?

bozaman & Hilfloskind it's exactly what plac said:

Why have an expensive $400-$750+ Cat-ed DP when it won't pass emissions anyway???

If you live in a place where you have to get sniffed once a year, or every 2 years, etc., you will have to re-install your stock DP. You will then certainly pass emissions. Once you have installed a good Catless DP, like a Godspeed, you can switch it in and out just like the expensive Cat-ed downpipes. The nice part is the Godspeed will only cost $150-$200. It's all Stainless so it won't rust and it fits like a glove so it's real easy to install...and remove....and reinstall....

If you have APR, or other switchable ECU software, you can switch back to stock for emissions test compliance, so that part is simple and easy to do.

For the major bucks you save by not buying an expensive downpipe you can buy youself a real nice floor jack, jack stands, and a set of Snap-on tools to make your bi-annual downpipe switch-out a simple task.

Just say'in...:)