GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshifting and you

DREKO

Passed Driver's Ed
are you sure? if you look at the real time fuel consumption, it is blank/shows nothing when slowing down using engine braking after a downshift, but if you throw it in neutral, it will say 200mpg or something. this implies that it uses a little more gas going in neutral than when using engine braking.

as a general rule, i either downshift when i need more power or more traction/control. when neither is necessary, its fine to coast. but with such torque available at various points in the tac, i don't find it necessary to downshift nearly as much as in previous cars. i love that about this engine, that i can be in 6th around 2k rpm wanting to pass someone, and instead of having to throw into first, i can just hit the gas and the power is there. i can only imagine how magnified that is with stage I or II...

You miss understood me. I said when you are in gear with your foot of the gas, you are not using any gas. Anytime you go into neutral you are using gas just as you are ideling. When I am in gear and am coming to a stop I leave it in that gear and coast "not pressing the gas pedal while still in gear" until I slow down enough or the rpms drop too low. Then I put it in neutral. I think you and I are saying the same thing, just not getting each other! And yes the torque in this car is awesome for a 2.0 four banger. Highway on ramps are so much fun now!!!

AdvanSuper

Banned
that i can be in 6th around 2k rpm wanting to pass someone, and instead of having to throw into first, i can just hit the gas and the power is there. i can only imagine how magnified that is with stage I or II[...

What car are you driving? Car doesn't go anywhere @2k in 6th :lol:

Peachaz

Ready to race!
I downshift a lot because I figure I am saving my brakes. What I don't do is rev match at all. Sounds to me like I'll be replacing my clutch sooner than I had hoped.

Bender1

Banned
The pedals in the Mk6 are set up weird so you can't heal-toe as easily as you could in other sports cars. I find that if i have half my foot on the brake and the other half overlapping the throttle, it will blip when I brake. It works fine for me.

Note that the half foot on the brake and other half on the throttle IS proper heal-toeing. People have not truly used their heel and toe in a passenger car in years and years and years. Unless you are drive a race car, there is no need to litterally use your heel and your toes.

Example in a Carrera GT:

Peachaz

Ready to race!
I'm not a jerky driver so I must just re-engage the clutch so slowly that it's not jerky. I'll have to pay more attetnion to what feels normal and adjust.

I never had to repalce the clutch in my 1997 Golf 1.8 (had it for 10 years) but maybe the engine wasn't strong enough to slip it...when I got rid of it, it was relatively low kms, like 140K.

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
thats def. one thing i miss about my six speed... down-shift, rev match, pop clutch. GO!

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Note that the half foot on the brake and other half on the throttle IS proper heal-toeing. People have not truly used their heel and toe in a passenger car in years and years and years. Unless you are drive a race car, there is no need to litterally use your heel and your toes.

Example in a Carrera GT:

Exactly what I do

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I'm not a jerky driver so I must just re-engage the clutch so slowly that it's not jerky. I'll have to pay more attetnion to what feels normal and adjust.

I never had to repalce the clutch in my 1997 Golf 1.8 (had it for 10 years) but maybe the engine wasn't strong enough to slip it...when I got rid of it, it was relatively low kms, like 140K.

If you are downshifting and slooooowly engaging the clutch to keep from jerking, you ARE putting heaps of wear on the clutch. The clutch is eating up the jerkiness at the expense of the friction material. If you cannot rev match enough to be able to smoothly and swiftly engage the clutch, you're better off just not downshifting until you learn the blip techniques. Just a friendly word of warning to save you $$$.

VEGASVWGTI

Ready to race!
Great thread! These videos are quite entertaining too :) Unfortunately also far to much work IMO for daily driving. I coast in gear and pop into neutral and simply downshift into third or fourth at a safe speed when the speed is appropriate- this degree of rev matching is really only required under spirited driving or if you are bored ;) Learn the sweet speed spots for smooth shifts and match with speed- this eliminates the need to burn extra gas depressing the gas pedal. Much simpler especially when concentrating on not playing bumper cars with the friendly drivers around you.

McQueen77

Banned
If you are downshifting and slooooowly engaging the clutch to keep from jerking, you ARE putting heaps of wear on the clutch. The clutch is eating up the jerkiness at the expense of the friction material. If you cannot rev match enough to be able to smoothly and swiftly engage the clutch, you're better off just not downshifting until you learn the blip techniques. Just a friendly word of warning to save you $$$.

right on the $ my friend, right on the $

Peachaz

Ready to race!
I've got about 13000km on this clutch and the first few thousand were break in so pretty easy. I've been blipping since yesterday, definitely not a technique I've used in the past. Oh well, you live and you learn. I wish there was a way to tell how much wear I've put on...the car is still fast as snot and the engine never races ahead of the speedo when I'm in any gear.

Bender1

Banned
Unfortunately also far to much work IMO for daily driving.

What do you mean?

If you are doing it right and consistently you won't even realize you are doing it anymore.

I drive 35 miles (each way) in a variety of traffic conditions (stop and go, back roads, and highway) and am always heel-toeing.

Practice and it will be the only way you shift.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I can't heel toe due to my large size 13's and the placement of the pedals in this car. But I have literally gotten rev matching with just a blip of the throttle either with single or double clutch downshifts down pat. After you get used to it, it becomes automatic and you do it without realizing. It makes the passengers happy, it makes the car happy and makes the wallet happy.

Frankly, unless you are racing on a track, I think that rev matching without heel toe is just as effective as with heel toe during daily driving. It's not like the average commute or cruising involves hairpin maneuvers and edge of your seat cornering where every millisecond counts.