GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problems

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Welp that was a short lived feeling of joy, dealer called to inform me my power train was expired... which obviously... it's a 2011... Not sure why they signed off on it, took it in, issued me a loaner and then the second thought on it was "oh, your power train is expired" let's see if VW will goodwill it. Which they won't.

Damn did they start working on it? No donuts for them! [emoji36]. They better not try to foot you the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
Damn did they start working on it? No donuts for them! [emoji36]. They better not try to foot you the bill.

I find it somewhat hard to believe they didn't double check the warranty status of the car before accepting to do the work. That's what is putting me off.

Jaber

Modero
I find it somewhat hard to believe they didn't double check the warranty status of the car before accepting to do the work. That's what is putting me off.

Did they give you any paperwork after they diagnosed it? Usually if it's not covered under warranty, you would of had to pay a diagnostic fee.

Every time I had warranty work done, SA would go over the proposed work and confirm it's under warranty.

Uberryan

Banned
Did they give you any paperwork after they diagnosed it? Usually if it's not covered under warranty, you would of had to pay a diagnostic fee.

Every time I had warranty work done, SA would go over the proposed work and confirm it's under warranty.

Negative, no paperwork. The only diagnosis was from the shop tech who suspects the transmission needs a rebuild. Nothing official in writing.

I came in and signed the usual stuff for them to check over the car, went and waited in the waiting room for maybe an hour. SA comes and grabs me and brings me into the shop to talk to the shop tech who wants me to reproduce the sensations I'm feeling via a testdrive, which was successful. We get back and I wait some more. Tech comes back in and grabs me to come speak with the SA again. We congregate in the shop, and SA tells the tech "Well 'shop foreman' already signed off on it" so they begin trying to give me time estimates on when it would be finished and how long, etc, almost nearly ignoring me in the room, which hey, I didn't care, they just told me it was getting fixed. I tell them no big deal on timing. My entire premise for being there in the first place was to check for the DSG update from the 2012 TSB. Not to really dig into the transmission and figure out any potential issues. That's exactly how my email read when I first spoke to my SA.

Side note, this is the same dealer who swapped out my long block because the engine slipped a bearing. They subsequently left two or three longblock to transmission case bolts lying on top of the transmission case after install. How they stayed there for 4-5 months... I have no idea. I tightened them in, and took it back to the dealer the next day for them to inspect it. Said it was fine, handed me a "check up" paper, and sent me on my way.

So the full reason behind this was to check for the update from the TSB to see if it was burned on. Never asked them to go any further than that, but they took it upon themselves. Only paperwork I have is the loaner paperwork I believe.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If you wanted to do a Mechatronics replacement yourself it actually doesn't seem that bad to DIY. There's a video of a guy doing it in German on youtube and i've read the tech instructions on ElsaWin. You could put in a used or refurbished unit.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
If you wanted to do a Mechatronics replacement yourself it actually doesn't seem that bad to DIY. There's a video of a guy doing it in German on youtube and i've read the tech instructions on ElsaWin. You could put in a used or refurbished unit.

I've seen the same video and it doesn't look too complicated with the right tools. but where would we be able to get a used/ new mech unit from? probably from Germany? if you can find a supplier.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I thought it would be possible to do with VCDS. I'm weird and like reading about how to fix all this broken shit that hasnt even happened to my car. Symptom of owning a VW?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

"When replacing this Mechatronic unit, simply copy the coding from the original Auto-Scan and paste it into the New Coding section of the replacement followed by clicking [Do it!]. "

"Replacement

Replacement Mechatronic units should be ordered by VIN based on PR Codes to confirm vehicle compatibility.

Run and save a complete Auto-Scan and save it prior to Mechatronic unit removal. See the Online Manual Auto-Scan.
Enter the original Coding into the New Coding section of the replacement controller.
Complete Basic Settings
Complete the Defined Test Drive"

Seems like you may not have to reflash if you get the exact same unit.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I thought it would be possible to do with VCDS. I'm weird and like reading about how to fix all this broken shit that hasnt even happened to my car. Symptom of owning a VW?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

"When replacing this Mechatronic unit, simply copy the coding from the original Auto-Scan and paste it into the New Coding section of the replacement followed by clicking [Do it!]. "

"Replacement

Replacement Mechatronic units should be ordered by VIN based on PR Codes to confirm vehicle compatibility.

Run and save a complete Auto-Scan and save it prior to Mechatronic unit removal. See the Online Manual Auto-Scan.

Enter the original Coding into the New Coding section of the replacement controller.

Complete Basic Settings

Complete the Defined Test Drive"

Seems like you may not have to reflash if you get the exact same unit.

I guess that makes me weird too lol.

Uberryan

Banned
Sketchy. I'd rather let a professional handle something like that. Again, my only complaint thus far is a slight hesitation from shifting from reverse to Drive/1st gear. I don't believe it's nearly as serious as everyone else who had to have this done... which was complete non-operational vehicles.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Sketchy. I'd rather let a professional handle something like that. Again, my only complaint thus far is a slight hesitation from shifting from reverse to Drive/1st gear. I don't believe it's nearly as serious as everyone else who had to have this done... which was complete non-operational vehicles.

The same professionals that forgot to tighten three bolts on your new long block install? [emoji849]

Uberryan

Banned
The same professionals that forgot to tighten three bolts on your new long block install? [emoji849]

Yup, which kinda alludes to them maybe trying to perform a "fix all" but just swapping in a new mech unit, which was fine when I assumed it was going to be free. Now I'm looking at getting out of this car, and hopefully VWs altogether. Recommend me dope cars, gents.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Yup, which kinda alludes to them maybe trying to perform a "fix all" but just swapping in a new mech unit, which was fine when I assumed it was going to be free. Now I'm looking at getting out of this car, and hopefully VWs altogether. Recommend me dope cars, gents.

go up to the bigger brother lol the AUDI better warranty and better build quality.

RS3 I5 turbo 400hp begging to be tuned lol.

but i think you might be over reacting. change fluid if you haven't already and do a DSG reset.