GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Shifter Warranty?

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I have searched but can’t seem to find much on this particular subject.
Basics:
Just purchased (last month ) 2011 GTI DSG 21K miles
Still have factory warranty, and have extended.

The DSG shifter has 2 “clam shell” parts on it that make up the shifter handle on both sides of the center “DSG” leather logo
The driver side has a retainer clip that is broken (sheared off) internally.
The driver side “clam shell” moves back and forth about 1/8” and I can pull it away from the center of the shifter a little too.

It rattles and is super annoying, and being a bit of a car guy- with a new car no less, its driving me crazy
Each time I shift in manual mode I can hear it bounce around

My question is, do you think dealer will replace it under warranty? Or will they claim it as a “wearable item” like it seems they try to do with everything?

Any good dealers in the Northern Chicago area that would be more willing to take care of the issue?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
DSG shifter broken, can it be replaced under warranty?

mikeleemk6

Go Kart Champion
Had mine replaced twice, under warranty.
Hey guys, I have searched but can’t seem to find much on this particular subject.
Basics:
Just purchased (last month ) 2011 GTI DSG 21K miles
Still have factory warranty, and have extended.

The DSG shifter has 2 “clam shell” parts on it that make up the shifter handle on both sides of the center “DSG” leather logo
The driver side has a retainer clip that is broken (sheared off) internally.
The driver side “clam shell” moves back and forth about 1/8” and I can pull it away from the center of the shifter a little too.

It rattles and is super annoying, and being a bit of a car guy- with a new car no less, its driving me crazy
Each time I shift in manual mode I can hear it bounce around

My question is, do you think dealer will replace it under warranty? Or will they claim it as a “wearable item” like it seems they try to do with everything?

Any good dealers in the Northern Chicago area that would be more willing to take care of the issue?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
DSG shifter broken, can it be replaced under warranty?

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
I took it in today to get looked at and the tech said they may deny it for "outside influence" it's a 2011 Autobahn and has a black leather "DSG" strip in the middle of the shifter, he said it's normally silver and claimed that it was the European version ....thoughts?

TALON AE

Ready to race!
I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I have a 2011 autobahn and also have the same shifter (silver triangle/clamshell pieces with black leather on the top and sides).

I remember being kind of surprised when I was shopping for the car. It seemed like they had two or thee different gear lever toppers in circulation that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TALON AE

Ready to race!

Purchased in May 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
TALON AE, thanks for the reply and the pics, I tried to post some of mine, but yours is exactly like mine. Once again, much appreciated!