GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dunlop Tires bad?

Delta0Medusa

Ready to race!
Im going to have to replace my 2nd Dunlop tire on my 2011 GTI because of a Sidewall bubble. My car only has 8000 miles.

Does anyone else have reliability issues with these tires? Im thinking of just buying 4 new ones of a different company rather than shell out 270 bucks for only 1 new Dunlop.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
I've been running the Dunlop Sport MAXX TT and they have been fantastic in regards to performance albeit they are a little bit loud.

I know quite a few people who have had Dunlops and never had the bubbling issue... I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. I wouldn't shell it out $270 for a single tire though... If you have the money might as well go Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

raaalph

Ready to race!
The stock Dunlop all seasons are garbage. I went through the same hell with sidewall bubbles before going with a different set of tires (Sumitomo HTRZIII's, which are awesome). I've heard that the Sport Maxx TTs are hard as rocks though, so sidewall bubbles aren't an issue.

EDIT: Read the Tire Rack reviews on the SP Sport 01 A/S...they're crap

Last edited:

pharmd

Casual Lerker
Sorry to revive this thread, but I thought I would share my experiences with this set of tires...

Buyer Beware. I have had to replace 3 of these tires in the last 6 months or so. The sidewalls are made of birthday balloons, they are WEAK! I hit a rail road crossing going only about 10-15 mph, it was a jolt even at that speed, but I didn't immediately perceive an issue. Two days later I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel. I pulled over to check things and I had developed a large knot on the drivers front tire. Now, 3 months or so later we were going out to eat. They were doing construction on the road and had excavated a couple inches of asphault near a bridge so they could repave. This left an exposed edge at the bridge / road union. They had a bump sign, but it was right at the bridge. I hit the "bump" going about 55 mph. It put a knot on the passenger front tire and bent my wheel. I was able to file a claim thru the insurance of the construction company and get that paid for. Then yesterday (now with about 20K on this tire) we picked up a piece of metal in our tire while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. I got up on the departure day to find I had a flat drivers rear. So in the rain I changed to the spare. Walmart in all their glory refused to repair it after us waiting for over an hour. We then drove 20 min to another tire place where they fixed it, but it took 1.5hrs. We had a 10.5hr drive ahead of us and instead of leaving at 9am we left at 1:30pm.

I WILL NOT buy another Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S...period. I'll put a generic tire on before I put this tire back on. I will be out almost $900 in just tires on this car in the last 6 months (not including a bent wheel). This is senseless money to be spending on stupid stuff like this!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
my autobahn has dunlops from time to time the front tires look like they start to flat after every other time when i spin the front wheels in take off and switch to 2nd as foot to the floor. i know almost all other gti's have pirelli p zero nero tires and there better than dunlop and also lasts longer. i recommend the pirelli p zero

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Dunlop makes crap tires. I have them on my Autobahn and previously had them on my STI (SP sport 600's). They have terrible tread wear ratings and a loud, I would never ever buy a set of them.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The Dunlop A/S tires are pretty awful, but they may as well be Pilot Super Sports compared to the Eagle LS1s that came on my GTP :laugh:

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
The stock Dunlop all seasons are garbage.

IMO, they're so bad that when I took delivery of my car I told them that if it came with the stock Dunlops, I wouldn't buy the car. Had to be the Pirellis or no deal.

Had Dunlops on a previous Audi and they were horribad.

pharmd

Casual Lerker
IMO, they're so bad that when I took delivery of my car I told them that if it came with the stock Dunlops, I wouldn't buy the car. Had to be the Pirellis or no deal.

Had Dunlops on a previous Audi and they were horribad.

This is what I would have done if I had known how bad they were...Lesson Learned.

GP813

Ready to race!