GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGEN COVER MOD DIY

rigti9

Ready to race!
who is the "we" that makes the paint?

thanks

Rust-Oleum... http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGCategory.asp?cid=10
there's a list of most of our auto products with some more possibly in the works. It's specifically made to handle the rigors of the stress on the paint for autos vs. the general paints. But, like all paints, make sure it fits your application.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Got the battery box cover done this weekend, still trying to figure out a black/white scheme for the fuse box cover

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 335

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Just skip painting the air box and go carbon fiber ;)

TDI110

O_o
I've never been one to modify the engine bay. However, seeing some of the results from other members has got me seriously considering it. Looks good tplociniak, keep it up.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
I'm working on it...I said fuse box cover not the air box but its ok Haha
And thanks for the compliments

Geofux

Ready to race!
I just painted the engine cover satin black + red but will probably do another coat of the red tomorrow. I really like the battery cover and fuse box cover idea .. I'll probably do that tomorrow too. One of the other things I am for sure going to paint is the rear diffuser in satin black. I'm not gonna touch the airbox because I might as well save the time and get the carbonio intake instead.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
Thanks to NaysayerSlayer for his version, and the idea to the OP in the first place for this mod :)

I went with Satin Black Outer (4 coats), Satin White Inner (4 coats), Gloss Red TSI Lettering (3 coats when I'm done). I wasn't able to take the pieces apart because I felt I was going to break the tabs holding the clips in, so I just used painters tape (patience required!)

I used Rust-Oleum products, but not the automotive. I took it for a good 2 hour highway drive yesterday, between 70 - 90mph pretty constant and it held up just perfect. I need to sand the TSI lettering, and put another coat on to smooth it over, but overall I'm very happy with it.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=183

rigti9

Ready to race!
Thanks to NaysayerSlayer for his version, and the idea to the OP in the first place for this mod :)

I went with Satin Black Outer (4 coats), Satin White Inner (4 coats), Gloss Red TSI Lettering (3 coats when I'm done). I wasn't able to take the pieces apart because I felt I was going to break the tabs holding the clips in, so I just used painters tape (patience required!)

I used Rust-Oleum products, but not the automotive. I took it for a good 2 hour highway drive yesterday, between 70 - 90mph pretty constant and it held up just perfect. I need to sand the TSI lettering, and put another coat on to smooth it over, but overall I'm very happy with it.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=183

Nice! Good lookin' out on the R-O products. I'll show some ppl here @ work. Impressive. Glad the Universal holds up!

Geofux

Ready to race!
I used R-O stuff on mine too. Worked really well and looks good. Some dust landed on my battery cover when I painted it.. I might end up doing it again. The engine cover itself looks really good. My front lip came in so I'll probably end up using the same stuff on my rear diffuser right away. The fuse box cover I'll probably end up just doing a straight black on. The battery cover I did just do black but after it sets more I will tape it up and do the center portion in red.

CadMan

Ready to race!
I really want to do this mod, but I want to get it right before I pull the trigger. So I've been playing with PhotoShop and have come up with this!
Need some opinions... don't hold back because it's early designs and I'm not sure I like it enough myself... so what do you think?

Attachments

• Painted Engine flag motif.jpg
    Painted Engine flag motif.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 512

NaysayerSlayer

Ready to race!
I really want to do this mod, but I want to get it right before I pull the trigger. So I've been playing with PhotoShop and have come up with this!
Need some opinions... don't hold back because it's early designs and I'm not sure I like it enough myself... so what do you think?

If you can pull off a paint job that is that clean and crisp I say go for it! Looks like an awesome paint scheme to me! :w00t:

livid2

Passed Driver's Ed

Looks good. Maybe try one version with thinner red stripes and another with no red stripes. They just seem to be over powering the flag colours a little, otherwise...:w00t:

jmarch

Ready to race!
yes its like an spray...they use this spray to do the big CAT truks engens..and like john deere trucks engens.

When you mentioned this it turned a light on for me. I drive a sportline golf and I was thinking of painting my brake calipers CAT yellow. Now that you mention this I'm really thinking of doing it and also doing a CAT yellow and black under the hood for the engine cover, battery cover, etc.

What does everyone think? yah or nah?

CadMan

Ready to race!
Looks good. Maybe try one version with thinner red stripes and another with no red stripes. They just seem to be over powering the flag colours a little, otherwise...:w00t:

Exactly! I've backed off on the stripes and it looks clean und! German!

Now to mess with the other parts, thanks for the feedback guys.

Attachments

• Painted Engine flag motif-stripeless.jpg
    Painted Engine flag motif-stripeless.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 384