GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine break in period *VW specified*

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I drove it like I stole it....Even on test drives with the GTi the salesmen would encourage people to "get on it" as a selling point. Been on multiple test drives when looking as well as going with friends wanting to purchase GTi.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Just had a new engine installed due to mis-fire under warranty. My service advisor has a GTI and made it clear, in no uncertain terms to follow this exact break in procedure nicely posted here. There is some logic to this and its been quantified.
My advisor also has a severely tuned GTI and reminded me more than once about this data.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I have also heard that you SHOULD get on it pretty hard during the break-in period. The reasoning as I remember is to get increased cylinder pressure which is supposed to help seat your rings. Do I know if it's true? :iono: All I know is that I drove fairly normally while breaking my car in (normal for 90% of people, not normal for me) with the occasional trips up to 6k. I'm close to 57k now with k04 and I burn little to no oil.

Oh and another thing I read was avoid using cruise control, you don't want to sit at the same RPM for extended periods of time. Once again, I don't know if it is true but I did it anyway and it seems to have worked for me.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I have also heard that you SHOULD get on it pretty hard during the break-in period. The reasoning as I remember is to get increased cylinder pressure which is supposed to help seat your rings. Do I know if it's true? :iono: All I know is that I drove fairly normally while breaking my car in (normal for 90% of people, not normal for me) with the occasional trips up to 6k. I'm close to 57k now with k04 and I burn little to no oil.

Oh and another thing I read was avoid using cruise control, you don't want to sit at the same RPM for extended periods of time. Once again, I don't know if it is true but I did it anyway and it seems to have worked for me.

Certainly boost is good in short intervals with the RPM limitation in mind. You are right that consistent cruize control runs are bad.
With the new motor installed here, I avoided the Autobahn and when I did use it, only for short runs. I climbed hills and drove in town and forced myself to use the motor in constant rev altering conditions. I have 3600 kilometeres today and zero oil useage.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Many years ago, someone posted an article on the internet about the benefits of driving hard to set the rings. It was written by person who builds and races motorcycles. In short, it was his opinion that the rings will set or will not set properly with in the first 50 miles of an engine’s life. This person claims a few good blasts close to redline before the engine has 50 miles on it will increase cylinder pressure and set the rings properly. If one believes this is true, you only have to do it once or twice for the rings to set. After the rings are set, driving hard has no more benefit to the rings. I suppose the next question is what about the valves, camshafts, lifters, rocker arms, rod and main bearings, etc?

Yoffer mentioned changing the oil after a few hundred miles. I have always done the same to new engines and have been criticized for it. Apparently, almost all new cars today come from the factory with special break-in oils that contain higher levels of zinc and phosphorous. These chemicals are added specifically to help the rings seat properly and for many other metal parts that touch each other under pressure to break-in properly. To some, the presence of this special oil implies that rings require time to fully set (no cylinder wall scoring or no glazing). To increase controversy on this subject, some car manufacturers insist that oil remain in the engine for 5,000 miles. Doesn’t VW recommend the first oil change at 10,000 miles?

And for the experts out there, why do manuals tell us to avoid maintaining even speeds during the break in period? To me, even speeds imply stable, light loads on the engine –metal parts are NOT being pushed together hard. I never understood why that is bad for a new engine. Is too little pressure bad? How would light load hurt the engine?

Front Runner

I remember an article from motoman that said the same thing about break in during the first 50 miles.

I just read the manual and I pretty much drive the car that way anyway so the break in procedure works for me.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Many years ago, someone posted an article on the internet about the benefits of driving hard to set the rings. It was written by person who builds and races motorcycles. In short, it was his opinion that the rings will set or will not set properly with in the first 50 miles of an engine’s life. This person claims a few good blasts close to redline before the engine has 50 miles on it will increase cylinder pressure and set the rings properly. If one believes this is true, you only have to do it once or twice for the rings to set. After the rings are set, driving hard has no more benefit to the rings. I suppose the next question is what about the valves, camshafts, lifters, rocker arms, rod and main bearings, etc?

Yoffer mentioned changing the oil after a few hundred miles. I have always done the same to new engines and have been criticized for it. Apparently, almost all new cars today come from the factory with special break-in oils that contain higher levels of zinc and phosphorous. These chemicals are added specifically to help the rings seat properly and for many other metal parts that touch each other under pressure to break-in properly. To some, the presence of this special oil implies that rings require time to fully set (no cylinder wall scoring or no glazing). To increase controversy on this subject, some car manufacturers insist that oil remain in the engine for 5,000 miles. Doesn’t VW recommend the first oil change at 10,000 miles?

And for the experts out there, why do manuals tell us to avoid maintaining even speeds during the break in period? To me, even speeds imply stable, light loads on the engine –metal parts are NOT being pushed together hard. I never understood why that is bad for a new engine. Is too little pressure bad? How would light load hurt the engine?

I follow the procedures with common sense. the avoiding a constant speed, to me, means, varying the speed, varies the rpm and exercises the engine and drive train through an acceptable range, rather than long steady state operation. the variation exercises all the parts, better than constant state rpm etc.

Just my, common sense approach to what they say.:)

Baldeagle

Ready to race!

That article states VW does not use break-in additives in their oil. I’m fine with that! But the article does not state break-in oil does not exist. It absolutely does. Here are a few examples:

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/rpo-11487?gclid=CJftn9m6p7YCFY6e4Aod8E4Asw

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/break-in-oil-(sae-30)/

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I follow the procedures with common sense. the avoiding a constant speed, to me, means, varying the speed, varies the rpm and exercises the engine and drive train through an acceptable range, rather than long steady state operation. the variation exercises all the parts, better than constant state rpm etc.

Just my, common sense approach to what they say.:)

+1 and since it was cold when my new motor was installed. I let the car idle for a min of 1 minute before driving off. I usually wait 30 sec no matter. Oil is good :)

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
OK, let me restate then for those that didn't get the gist of my post...

No such thing as VW break-in oil in the 2011 GTI.

Many people speak of "making sure the break-in oil stays in for 10,000 miles." The 10K mile interval is not for the break-in oil, it's merely the maximum mileage that VW wants the owner to wait between oil changes.

The idea here is that the manufacturer is pretty specific in the type and change-interval of the motor oil that is to be used in the Mk6 TSI engine, deviations of which may affect the amount of money that all of us strive to keep in our wallets.