GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Rough on Startup

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
So my brother has been using my car for the past couple years and it has always been flawless but this morning he went to start it and it was running real rough and smelled like gas. I had him scan pull codes and this is what was present. Any help please. I been out of the “game” for awhile and not too sure what could be going on.

Attachments

• 18DE01F0-17DD-4289-9078-B9391DF759C5.png
    18DE01F0-17DD-4289-9078-B9391DF759C5.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 56

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Last edited:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Yea so I did some research today. It seems to me it is either cam phaser, timing chain tensioner or cam bridge screen dislodge.

I am leading toward tensioner since it happened on startup. He drove home from work the last night car was 100% and this morning when leaving for work the trouble happened.

I guess I am going to have to start with visual inspection of cam phaser. The weird thing is he said a week or 2 ago he was driving and the car chimed, said “service engine soon” and kinda bogged a little bit for a second or 2. He pulled codes and got the cam position sensor fault. Also now today with it running real rough and noisy it really stinks like gas and will not rev up at all. I am really not sure and it seems like we are getting symptoms from all 3 possible problems.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
check chain alignment marks if you know how too. there's a panel on the left side of the cover. might need to tow it to a tuner at this point.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I think I was told at some point that my car had the updated tensioner but it’s a 2011 and it is original. I have owned the car since 14k miles so it has never been replaced. Did 2011’s get the updated tensioner from the factory?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
since u have a scanner, look up block 93. if it's more than 4 degrees you have an expensive repair bill incoming.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
since u have a scanner, look up block 93. if it's more than 4 degrees you have an expensive repair bill incoming.
I don't have vag com anymore....the codes were pulled from APR mobile dongle. Can I scan measuring blocks with APR mobile?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
also I don't understand how that could rule out a bad cam phaser. Block 93 is actual cam timing and actual cam timing will be off with a bad phaser. If I remember right these motors only have VVT on intake cam correct? So if that is true it it has no idea where the exhaust cam is to possible measure the difference there./?