GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP error, blinking TPMS

NickMk61

Ready to race!
Not sure if this is the right place to post.. but, recently, when I turn the car on.. the ESP error lights up and the TPMS blinks.. but it goes away whenever I start driving... Its done it about 3 times now. What does it mean?

Edit: I'm stage 2 with the torque steer compensation and XDS setting 2 switched on via vag-com.. and whenever the error goes away.. I can feel the power steering really kick in.. whereas while the error is active the steering feels a little loose...

Last edited:

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Have someone pull your codes.

NickMk61

Ready to race!
Yeah, unfortunately I wont have access to one for atleast another month :/ I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this, or knew what it was. That way when I get a chance to get it fixed I'll have a good starting point.. or know exactly what to do :p

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
These symptoms sound exactly like what happens when you pull the battery.

NickMk61

Ready to race!
hmm.. well the only time I've ever touched the battery was when I installed my HIDs last week... which is about the same time this started happening..

NickMk61

Ready to race!
actually now that I think about it... I've been meaning to get my HIDs coded for the bulb out error. I need to turn off the bulb saver via vagcom because the car doesnt provide enough power to the ignitors right away.. and I have noticed that when I turn the lights on, the HIDs take a while to get to full power... which is also about the same amount of time that the esp error lasts.. so maybe because power is being drawn to the HIDs to get them to full power, its taking power away from other parts of the car until it can fully provide power to everything??

NickMk61

Ready to race!
so no one knows what this is? I still wont have a chance to diagnose for another month or so.. :/

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
What changed when this started happening? You said you installed HIDs, it's probably them. I don't know what is wrong with them but basic troubleshooting/problem diagnoses points to the finger to them.

Something is wrong with your installation, what I don't know. The only thing I can say is to

A. Make sure your install is 100% correct
B. Reinstall your previous headlights and see if the problem is still there.

Do your headlights come on before you start your car?

Dman511

Having same exact issue but mine is stock and have not touched the battery whatsoever. It happens sporadically I'll get it and says ESP Error I have the TPMS blinking steering light and traction control all on. Once I drive and my automatic door lock happens it goes away and all is fine. Took it to my dealer and they didn't know what it was said maybe battery but everything looked good. They cleared one code they weren't familiar with but that was last week and the problem came back yesterday. Very frustrating will take it back and see what they say.