GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evo X, 10k mile review

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I bought my car new, and have had it for fifteen months. Lately, although the car still handled well, the sharpness had eroded a little bit. This is because after 10k miles, the stock Advan tires were mostly dead. After installing a set of Star Specs and getting an alignment this weekend, the car handles better than ever and feels great again! Hopefully these will last a bit longer than the stockers, I guess I will pony up for RE-11s if they do not. I had the tire store change me over to stick inside wheel weights, which is what the car should've come with from the factory. The OEM clamp style left small scuff spots and finish damage on three of my rims. Lame.

I recently thought of buying a MkVI GTI to reduce my monthly payments, but that was due to this crappy economy. I was offered too low of a trade at VW, so instead, I used the extra money to pay the wife’s car way down, and decided to keep the Evo awhile.

Anyway, here are my impressions:

Good stuff
-Car has been very reliable, no major mechanical issues in spite of a 100whp increase beyond stock for over a year.
-The seats remain the most comfortable, supportive, and best OEM seats I've ever had in a passenger car.
-The factory HIDs are awesome, and the fact they are bright as well as dim is just icing on the cake.
-The SAYC makes this my favorite driving/handling Evo I’ve ever owned.
-The overall fun factor is a solid 10/10

Needs improvement
-Glove box and driver door rattles are pretty annoying.
-Minor gripe, but in cold weather < 40 degrees, my second gear synchronizer is fussy until the car has warmed up for a good ten minutes. It is much better than my first X, which had serious second and third gear grinds.
-Fuel economy is a bit disappointing, and car is in need of better gear spacing.
-The interior is very low quality, but you can’t expect everything at this price point.

This car speaks a language only the enthusiast understands. My favorite part about it is the huge amount of control offered to the driver. It has lightning reflexes; I can place it exactly where I want in a corner, stop it precisely when I need to, and accelerate without wheelspin from any speed due to all wheel drive traction. Oversteer from SAYC is a blast. I saw a guy in an early 1G (pop up headlight) Eclipse with a FMIC pulling out from work. He saw me at the same time, and we both smiled and nodded. Man, I love these cars.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
Do you have the Manual or TC-SST?

It seems you also have the HID, but over here in Canada the GSR doesn't allow you to get HID's. It's only available on the more expensive MR.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
USA GSR are all manual.
I have SSS, which is the HIDs, Fast key, stereo upgrade, and tall rear wing.