GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Injectors

milin

Hi. Been ages since the last time i was here. I have been having some problem with the fuel injectors lately. I have been with APR since 2 years ago. During the first year, it was Stage 1 and then around this time i had injector failure causing misfire in one of the cylinder. The garage changed a new one and then the car ran fine for another year.

Soon after, I went up to APR Stage 2 with S3 intercooler, R8 Coilpack, APR DP, Stock Catback as well as Unitronic DSG Stage 1. The car ran fine for the most part. Then another injector failed a couple days ago - approximately 1 year after the first one failed. I was doing 160km/hr overtaking a 10-wheeler and BOOM! The engine switch in safe mode, lose of power, vibrate and thick white smoke came out of exhaust. Pretty scary at that speed. My car is now at 34,xxx km.

I had the car towed to the garage of which they identified that one of the injector went bad. I asked them to change all 4 brand new injectors just for the peace of mind. Just thought that if one (or two) started to fail, then the other 'might' fail soon. unnecessary but yeah..for the peace of mind.

Then i had the thought if this frequent failure (once a year is freqent?) of the injectors may relate to the tuning? Been asking around among friends and some say yes some say no. From our GTI community here in Bangkok, we see a lot of people having KO4 with stock injectors and still run strong at 100,000km without any injector problem. Some, like me unfortunately, have this problem haunting the car more often.

Been searching around this this site as well as general googling. The injector seems to be pretty common thing for our TSI engine but i couldn't find anything that relate the the definite cause of its failure. From what i gathered over the internet, i found a lot of talking but no confirmation on any of this that may impact the life of the injector (more like speculation):
- Fuel Quality
- Tuning
- Some even say if i don't drive agressively enough, it increase chance of something to deposit in the injector causing it to stuck open or something (i find this strange though).

I will be getting my car back tomorrow and it should run fine after all four injectors have been changed. But for preventive measure, is there any way that we can prevent or prolong the life of the injectors? Unlike coil pack which we can use Audi's one which is more durable, i don't know if there is any upgrade for the injector.

The post is longer than expected but thanks for the read.