GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally test drove the R and cooper S! Almost sold on it.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Turn in feels instant because of the 13.2 steering ratio, compared to the R's 15.6 (iirc)

Yeah probably a combination of both. My FR-S has a slightly quicker steering rack than a MCS (13.1 vs. 13.2) , but doesn't seem to turn-in quite as quickly. I think the shorter wheelbase of the MCS is the difference (97" vs. 101").

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
When I was looking at cars it came down to the GTI or the Mini. I chose the GTI for the hatch space, price, and availability. Should have taken the Mini. It just drives that much better (IMHO of course.) Instant turn in with tons of grip, great feedback through the clutch, trans, brakes, etc. Instant throttle response in a very very willing engine. Quite a fun little car. My favorite combo was the Cooper S with 17" wheels but no sport suspension.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
When I was looking at cars it came down to the GTI or the Mini. I chose the GTI for the hatch space, price, and availability. Should have taken the Mini. It just drives that much better (IMHO of course.) Instant turn in with tons of grip, great feedback through the clutch, trans, brakes, etc. Instant throttle response in a very very willing engine. Quite a fun little car. My favorite combo was the Cooper S with 17" wheels but no sport suspension.

I didn't like the transmission/clutch. The R/GTI is far superior. The R prob had the best manual I have ever driven.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Shifting in the R is like butta:cool: But now I have to drive a mini to see what all this hype is about:eek:

Yea... if you don't mind FWD and 2 doors, the Mini is where its at. Far better handling car. I think they are only 2800lbs also, which is 400+ lbs lighter as well :eek:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I didn't like the transmission/clutch. The R/GTI is far superior. The R prob had the best manual I have ever driven.

I dunno, I kind of liked the mechanical feel of the Mini's. The GTI does have a nice shift lever action though. The clutch I actually felt the Mini had more feel than the GTI.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I dunno, I kind of liked the mechanical feel of the Mini's. The GTI does have a nice shift lever action though. The clutch I actually felt the Mini had more feel than the GTI.

My corvette feels like that but x10.. thanks to the short throw. I would certainly keep the R stock the shifter is perfect I am not sure why ppl get a short throw.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
My corvette feels like that but x10.. thanks to the short throw. I would certainly keep the R stock the shifter is perfect I am not sure why ppl get a short throw.

becauseAWDracecar?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I am not modding a bmw to 50% above rated power that's just asking for trouble. And the 135i is ugly as sin. I'd rather get a 335is, but those are 40k

Yep, I would never get a turbocharged E36 M3 for that reason, don't care if it's Active Autowerke's premier vehicle for all I care.

Which reminds me, did the 335is have the hpfp issues resolved already?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Not sure, I think the ethanol is breaking the HPFPs, but they had a 10 year 120k warranty on them last i checked.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Not sure, I think the ethanol is breaking the HPFPs, but they had a 10 year 120k warranty on them last i checked.

At least BMW stands by their product and prolonged the warranty, wonder when VW will do the same with the hpfp on our TDI's :mad:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
At least BMW stands by their product and prolonged the warranty, wonder when VW will do the same with the hpfp on our TDI's :mad:

doubtful, been so long and still nothing, it seems to happen less on the TDIs than it does on the beemers :( sadly the BMW pump is not a big deal at $400-500 where as our fix is $8000-10000!

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
doubtful, been so long and still nothing, it seems to happen less on the TDIs than it does on the beemers :( sadly the BMW pump is not a big deal at $400-500 where as our fix is $8000-10000!

That's true, I was looking forward to getting rid of my TDI for a GTI until I got into an accident with my Civic last night :( Sucks :cry:

Thumper

Autocross Champion

I love my short throw. It just FEELS tighter. Feels TOTALLY different from the short throw in the Camaro too. The stock throw isn't terrible by any means, but going shorter was a major upgrade IMHO.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Does the R have the same shifter as the GTI?