GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First impressions, some thoughts & questions...

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Its been about ten days since I got my silver 2011 GTI-DSG. I believe what we get here is the Euro spec. version, I've got everything except leather, nav and DynAudio. While I did want these, I would have had to wait on these and miss out on the discount being offered by the dealer on current stock.

Here are some initial thoughts/impressions/questions:

1. Overall a great car - excellent combination of sporty and practical!

2. Am driving normally and not pushing it till I do about 1k clicks, look forward to enjoying it even more after that. I've done some reading on the forums about the need to push it from the get go, and opinions vary, am willing to wait a bit.

3. I wish the carpet and mats had another color option - at least over here the only available color was black. It look nice but dirt shows real easy. Some shade of grey would be a lot better it seems - I had it for my old A4 and it was more practical.

3. Seats - leather vs. cloth - I initially wanted to get leather, but it was not in stock, so I took a closer look at the cloth and was happy. I also liked the fact that the interior did not look as dark as it did with the all-black leather. Its really hot where I live, and even if you park outside over lunch for an hour, the leather seats get uncomfortably hot! The one issue with the cloth seats is that the fabric seems a bit coarse/rough when wearing shorts! I hope it wears out after a while, my old A4's fabric seats were again great in this regard.

4. The horn is a bit lame, plan to get that changed. I recall German horns from Hella and Bosh being nice and sharp, but this one is certainly not! Anyone got any suggestions or made any changes?

5. Researching the door sill plates and mud flaps, would like to get those. Has anyone tried the plates from Lockwood in the UK?

6. Enjoying the Bluetooth and voice activated calling! Plenty of choices for music input - the in-dash 6CD player, the iPod interface as well as an SD card slot in the dash! Also have the LED lights, had to pay extra and they look cool, but the practical side of me says I never get to see them!!!!

7. The reversing camera is neat! So are the turning headlights!

8. The coolest gimmick, which I'll hardly use, is the Parallel Park assist!!!

Sorry for the long post, but its a new car so one tends to notice things. Will welcome feedback and suggestions!

SVS

Last edited:
I wish we had silver here in the US. I am totally satisfied with my white though.

The fabric is a bit coarse but it is durable. You can find anthracite floormats which show less dirt. (ecstuning/ dbcperformance... high shipping price prolly)

More pics of your RS please...

how much for your GTI in us Dollars???

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the comments.

I really wanted silver, but if that weren't an option, would have gone for white. Its helpful to have a light color for the hot weather around here.

The rear camera and Parallel Park are really neat, but will hardly need the latter as work and home are regular parking spaces. Good conversation piece though!

Lastly on the price, I ended up paying the equivalent of USD 30,160. This was after a USD 2,700 festive discount last month. As I used to live in the US before moving here, I've always stuggled with the general price disparity. Any car over here is, on average at least 10% more than the US, and often with less features. The GTI after discount was one of the rare cases, in my limited research, where the price wasn't so bad. And I can't complain too much, I know the prices here are a lot better than the UK and Europe.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Man, would have LOVED to have the GTI in silver. Doesn't get as hot in sun, still looks nice and deep with a good wax (unlike white, which generally looks "shallow"), hides dirt, and doesn't show swirls - perfect car color imo.

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again for the comments and welcomes, look forward to learning about and enjoying the GTi with other fellow drivers. Working on pics, maybe on the weekend.

Agree about the color, and am really surprised why its not offered in the US. Rather strange.

Have not seen or researched vented hoods, though mechanically I figure the cars here are fine, its not that different from the Arizona heat.

Dubai neighbour - the reviews/long-term test in the Gulf edition of CAR magazine were rather helpful in leading me to the GTI! Did you get to read them?