GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Oil change, 10K My Ass!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
OP, send a sample of your oil in for analysis. My bet is there will be still some life in it; they will also tell you whether your break in is normal or not due to the metal content.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
OP, send a sample of your oil in for analysis. My bet is there will be still some life in it; they will also tell you whether your break in is normal or not due to the metal content.

oil analysis is pretty pointless during the break in period. you will see alot of metal content, and wont be able to determine anything besides the fact that the engine is breaking in, which we know already.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
oil analysis is pretty pointless during the break in period. you will see alot of metal content, and wont be able to determine anything besides the fact that the engine is breaking in, which we know already.

True, but TBN should still be useful for determining intervals.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
True, but TBN should still be useful for determining intervals.

yea but tbn will vary according to driving style,weather condition,etc... from 1 change to another. you would have to get 3-4 analysis done to determine a solid interval. or just do 5k changes and call it a day.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
This is my first VW and first car that claims 10k mile oil change interval...

I just cant for my own piece of mind go that long, Im doing my oil changes every 4-6K miles using Motul and OEM oil filter

I am APR Stage 1 if that matters to anyone..

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion

I was going to, but like a dumb ass I mixed it with some old Rotella T-6 from my Subaru so results would be worthless.

+ like they said break in UOA's are kinda pointless. I'm going to send in my next one when it hits 5K.

Bender1

Banned

I just cant for my own piece of mind go that long, Im doing my oil changes every 4-6K miles using Motul and OEM oil filter

Once you tune - 5k makes sense.

rs999

Go Kart Champion

So you're using a new oil filter for every change?

McQueen77

Banned
So you're using a new oil filter for every change?

for sure he should. thats the biggest part of the debate for people is that maybe, just maybe the oil is still passable up to 10k, although i wouldn't want that dirty ass oil lubricating my scene, but the filter may have seen much better days by the 10k mark. so yeah, oil, filter..

my next one is in 3 months but its the free 30k service one and it kind of bums me out im not doing it myself. i find oil changes to be therapeutic

UrFoolishness

i did mine at the 10000 and never burned a drop of oil. tuned stg 1 and drove it like i stole it in 100+ degree weather in GA, so my car is a great test case. i guess time will tell if i made a mistake but so far it has never needed topping off. obviously that isn't the only sign of wear. im def no expert. im approaching 15k so i think ill start every 5 now that its "broken in"

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
i did mine at the 10000 and never burned a drop of oil. tuned stg 1 and drove it like i stole it in 100+ degree weather in GA, so my car is a great test case. i guess time will tell if i made a mistake but so far it has never needed topping off. obviously that isn't the only sign of wear. im def no expert. im approaching 15k so i think ill start every 5 now that its "broken in"

usually its the other way around. you change your oil sooner then recommended while your engine is breaking in to clean out all of the particles.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
If you are increasing oil change intervals wouldn't it make more sense to go with lower priced, synthetic or semi-synthetic 5w-30's or 5w-40's since you are not taking advantage of the longer drain intervals that the higher priced oils were made for?

By lower priced, I mean the typical Wal-mart specials, such as Castrol GTX or Edge, Supertech, or Pennzoil.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
^^^ I wouldn't just because i choose to shorten my intervals to 5k does not mean im not going to use top shelf oil for my car, in this case ive been with Motul designed for DI motors and use OEM Filter...

I dont see why sacrificing "potential" oil quality just because you shorten intervals makes sense? To me it would be the same as using good oil for the full 10K to shorten inverals and use cheaper oil..

In the realm of things its like ~70 bucks an oil change...if you're driving a GTI, I dont think it should really be hurting your wallet for some good piece of mind?

To me this is a cheaper oil change then the other cars ive owned so maybe im biased in that sense?