GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST or MK7 GTi probably DSG

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
word. yeah, I helped a local buy buy a mk7 autobahn DSG and could not believe the lighting package wasnt standard, lulz.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Okay so first everyone here is obviously bias since this is VW forum. Lol. Most will say you should get the Mk7. In reality I believe the GTI is such a better all around day to day car. I have driven an ST and was frankly unimpressed. Especially after I got back into my 2010 Stage 1 GTI with DSG. I think my GTI is a bit quicker than a stock ST. Everything about the ST in my opinion is VERY juvenile. Exterior looks, interior looks (Seats, center console, Instrument cluster, etc.) The ride was okay. For the few things people say the ST has over a GTI, you can easily put the GTI back ahead with a few mods. One mainly being tires. Stage 1 a Mk7 GTI and it will SMASH even a modified ST I think. Also how long has Ford been making the Focus ST? VW started in 1979 with the Golf GTI in Europe. Frankly I'd get something cheaper in the interim and wait for the Mk7 Golf R.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Glad you pulled the trigger on the "right" car. ;) Good color choice. Did you get the performance package?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Glad you pulled the trigger on the "right" car. ;) Good color choice. Did you get the performance package?

sadly they don't have performance package cars in my area, but i plan on stage 1 after 6 months or a year, i will definitely change tires, i miss the michelin pilot as3's i had, the pirellis suck reminded me of dunlops. Its a good thing I'm anal about exterior paint bubbling especially on a new car, the lack of space in a bigger car, turning radius of an suv etc. Its a good thing i picked csg, the white is so bland on a mk7 imo.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Okay so first everyone here is obviously bias since this is VW forum. Lol. Most will say you should get the Mk7. In reality I believe the GTI is such a better all around day to day car. I have driven an ST and was frankly unimpressed. Especially after I got back into my 2010 Stage 1 GTI with DSG. I think my GTI is a bit quicker than a stock ST. Everything about the ST in my opinion is VERY juvenile. Exterior looks, interior looks (Seats, center console, Instrument cluster, etc.) The ride was okay. For the few things people say the ST has over a GTI, you can easily put the GTI back ahead with a few mods. One mainly being tires. Stage 1 a Mk7 GTI and it will SMASH even a modified ST I think. Also how long has Ford been making the Focus ST? VW started in 1979 with the Golf GTI in Europe. Frankly I'd get something cheaper in the interim and wait for the Mk7 Golf R.

Meh, I drove the ST on a mini track and auto-xed my stage 1 GTI with summer rubber a week later and there was no comparison. Can't really say about the actual speed but the Fuckus felt waaay better and more fun.

Sounds like the MK7 is pretty improved though so that's probably a different story. I'd say both GTI generations look better than the Ford.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: 800 MILES REVIEW ON THE MK7 GTI!!

The Good:

- Despite the lighter car and added torque and little horsepower, the car felt just as fast as my mk6 stock wise. But it is a lot faster stock vs stock, its more refined.

- I didn't have any wheel hop unlike my mk6, but added ecs dogbone mount insert in that, mk7 felt like that came in stock without the vibrations.

- Throttle seems more sensitive, with moderate acceleration, i get wheelspin. Sometimes in 2nd gear too.

- You can turn of the ESC Completely, press the tc button for 10 seconds and it warns you about less control on MFD screen, its called esc sport, I'm gonna change the tires back to michelin pilot as3's

- Stock for stock, car felt more comfortable, basically how my mk6 was with dg springs and michelin pilot as3 in terms of ride quality, exception for imperfections it makes more noise and less bouncy. my mk6 had dunlops as stock and every time you go through a bad road imperfection, it makes the car like its about to fall apart, mk7 with stock tires/suspension, not so much.

- 4th, 5th and 6th seem to have longer gear ratios when i was playing with manual mode, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd is similar to mk6. I can go 2,000 rpm in 6th gear at 70 mph, which is excellent for road trips, its annoying on the mk6 for that reason, unless unplugging the sound actor.

- MK7 is a lot quite than my mk6 was, when stopped i felt like the car had auto start stop, when it doesn't, its that quiet. Mk7 feels more like an audi, my coworkers and close friends were impressed with the car's improvements. Even my dad said, this could compete with a current 3 series comfort wise.

- The car felt more linear than mk6, it doesn't feel as laggy in my opinion.

- Exhaust note is improved, sounds better, its louder vs mk6 at around 3k and above rpms, but not much, definitely noticeable.

- The handling felt less raw than my mk6 was with upgraded suspension and tires, but this one handles in such a nice way, felt more nimble, turns quicker, i didn't felt much nose heaviness on the mk7. Stock for stock, it has MUCH less body roll, but felt identical with dg springs. The steering isn't as tight, especially in sport mode on lower speeds, but just as tight as my mk6 was on highway speeds above 40 mph, i also had tyrolsport deadset subframe collar bushings which improved the steering feel on the mk6. I hope i find something equivalent of that to this car.

- The fender audio system with the subwoofer in the trunk blows my mk6's dynadio out of water, the sub is great for showing off your rap music if you're into that lol. dynadio is 350 watt but fender is 400 watt, and its lot more clearer.

- The annoying lock beeping is louder than my mk6, i had couple neighbors complained about it. But you can turn it off under menu in the head unit, the go to "vehicle" setting, then "open and close" then uncheck "acoustic confirmation" bye bye lock beeping, it no longer beeps!!

- Gas tank is smaller, when i have 20 miles range left, it takes almost 11 gallons for full tank, about 250-270 in trip when light comes on, i usually get 300 on the mk6.

- this car came stock as half the things we want and crave for the mk6, led interior, ambient lightning on doors, theres even lights in door handles and another one that illuminates window switches at night. Underseat drawer (only on driver seat, autobahn versions don't get that due to full power seats), dash cubby, center console storage thats actually useful, auto light switch, reverse camera (SE and up model), and bigger sunglass storage (in the mk6, i had to adjust my oakley holbrocks bro sunglasses in a way that it can close problem, it takes time sometimes too) just simply throw it in and DONEZO like it should be, but if you have oakley oil rigs or gascans type of glasses, it might not work (ill post a pic soon on that as demonstration).

- Also, mine's an SE model, but its pretty much how my mk6 autobahn was but only difference was no navigation on this one.

and thats about it:
heres my build thread for the mk7 http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5970

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The gas tank is now 13.2 Gallons vs 14.5 So it is in fact smaller. So your DSG revs at 2k at 70... what about MPG? How does it compare to before you'd think that it would improve because the mk6 revs at 2700 at 70.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Some time after my drive in the mk7 I'm most impressed at how damn stiff it is. Makes the whole car better in so many ways.

butchered by autocorrecr

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The gas tank is now 13.2 Gallons vs 14.5 So it is in fact smaller. So your DSG revs at 2k at 70... what about MPG? How does it compare to before you'd think that it would improve because the mk6 revs at 2700 at 70.

getting 30 mpg at roads with lights without traffic is no problem as long as i don't rape it, in stop and go traffic, 0-10 or 0-20 etc it kills mpg (23-26) plus there are times i have to romp on gas to prevent getting cut off here, you basically have to tailgate in traffic here bc now theres too many ppl dart in and out now. on highway i get about 32-33, but well see what happens when i get 1,000 miles out of it and we'll see, dat break in period, doe. I also got my first cute comment today:laugh: i saw people on mk7 forums getting 37-38 mpgs on their gti's when they took road trip, managed 370 miles in one tank

Some time after my drive in the mk7 I'm most impressed at how damn stiff it is. Makes the whole car better in so many ways.

butchered by autocorrecr

that was my impressions when i test drove it, honestly i don't miss the mk6 much anymore the more i drive it. but mk6 felt simpler, its still my favorite car i owned to this date.