GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Ecoboost challenge

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
So I finally got to do this Saturday... and it was a pretty cool event, especially for free.

My main point of this thread: Focus ST >> GTI :(

The hypermiling challege was alright, I was able to get 84.7 MPG in the Fusion Hybrid, could only get about 60 in the C-Max. Somebody got like 108 and won some headhphones.

The Fusions are really nice cars. Great looks, nice interior, fairly quick in the straights and ok handling (much less boaty than the Camry they had there). I think the Camry was slightly faster in a straight line though. I was underwhelmed/didn't like the Escape, but it's a CUV, don't really care. The transmission on it was super laggy and didn't respond to the paddles fast at all. I thought the paddles in the Fusion were decent, but I kept forgetting to use them and it would shift automatically.

The ST portion was fun! I did two laps in the Focus, two in the Fiesta. I drove the Focus first. Those seats. Fantastic. They have great bolstering but are so soft, padded and comfy. They look great too. The steering wheel and shifter felt nice, the clutch was pretty soft like the GTIs. I really liked the car on the course though. Good power and much more "sporty" feeling than my car in the corners. The back end can come out much easier in the Focus than the GTI and it really felt like it gradually and smoothly lost traction in the way I wanted it to. I didn't feel too much understeer.

The Fiesta was decent. It felt a little slower power wise and the worst thing about it was the fuel cutoff... it's at a really low rpm and I hit it multiple times around the course. They told us no to shift out of second and it was just kind of a bummer. It also definitely feels like a much cheaper car than the Focus. Chasis tuning between the two felt pretty similar and I really liked it so much. I think if I were in the market for a new hot hatch today, it would be an Orange Focus ST with Recaros. Unfortunately, they didn't exist yet when I got my car and so I'll just try to forget about it and enjoy my GTI.

CSB.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice dude.. I agree and had the same impressions.

but here come the fanboi's....

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I honestly don't even really think the GTI's interior is that superior to the Focus ST. I mean, it looks better. The futuristic look in the Focus is weird, but it seemed nicely laid out enough and has plenty of features. The Fiesta's interior was kinda bad.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I honestly don't even really think the GTI's interior is that superior to the Focus ST. I mean, it looks better. The futuristic look in the Focus is weird, but it seemed nicely laid out enough and has plenty of features. The Fiesta's interior was kinda bad.

DUDE! Keep that shit down, bro!!!! you'll get e-jumped on here!!!!!

McQueen77

Banned
Shit

Just

Got

REAL

adolan21

Ready to race!
I like the interior of Focus ST as much as the GTI, except I hate the look of the steering wheel. I know that is quite the nit pick but that just shows you how close the interiors really are. I don't like how I have to get the ST3 (most expensive) package just to get heated seats because in New Hampshire, I needs me some heated ass.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!

You make some good points, but as far as te interior goes ..... You sir are wrong .... Maybe the recaro seats are better than the Gti but that's about it... Not to mention that the ST is having an identity crisis .... It doesn't know if it wants to compete against the R or the GTI

adolan21

Ready to race!
You make some good points, but as far as te interior goes ..... You sir are wrong .... Maybe the recaro seats are better than the Gti but that's about it... Not to mention that the ST is having an identity crisis .... It doesn't know if it wants to compete against the R or the GTI

Have you had a chance to drive the ST?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
ST has better seats, GTI has better steering wheel, the rest of the interiors are the same quality with different designs. Driving feel out of the box is way better on the ST but I don't know that it's actually any faster, I haven't seen an actual track comparison.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Stock for stock ST is faster.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

Well it costs the same as a GTI, so if it competes with the R, that just makes it even better?

Also, I get what you're saying about the interior. The GTI is more aesthetically pleasing. It's "prettier." And the steering wheel is the best, period. But in terms of functionality and comfort, they seemed pretty equal to me.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
ST has better seats, GTI has better steering wheel, the rest of the interiors are the same quality with different designs. Driving feel out of the box is way better on the ST but I don't know that it's actually any faster, I haven't seen an actual track comparison.

Beat me to it.