GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Ecoboost challenge

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Have you had a chance to drive the ST?

I've gone for a spirited drive as a passenger but have yet to drive one, don't get me wrong i really didn't say anything negative about the car I like it for the most part, maybe I just think NA got screwed out of the RS and now we have this thing which is a huge downgrade in styling and performance as well IMO

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Right but the ST comes stock with better tires which skew the results.

Hence the stock comment...

Spending 800$ on tires on a new car seems like a waste of money.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
There aren't really any cars on the market that don't need $800+ put into them to fix the compromises made for mass market consumption.

Right... but all I am saying is... maybe that $800 is better spent on a tune on the GTI to make it even that much faster... but stock for stock makes for an important comparison IMO. Esp on a new car.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Was it a fiesta ST?

Both.

The Focus was faster around there course.

I did it in the Focus in 38.3 and in the Fiesta in 39.2. I even drove the Focus first. Best times for the day were around low 37s in the Focus and about 38.5 in the Fiesta. Someone also got a 78 second time :lol: averages were low to mid forties, a lot of really slow drivers out there.

Merkle

Banned
Both.

The Focus was faster around there course.

I did it in the Focus in 38.3 and in the Fiesta in 39.2. I even drove the Focus first. Best times for the day were around low 37s in the Focus and about 38.5 in the Fiesta. Someone also got a 78 second time :lol: averages were low to mid forties, a lot of really slow drivers out there.

I knew the Focus was, honesty I have heard enough about that, this is the first time I've talked to anyone about the Fiesta. It's obviously slower but you said the chassis felt the same, how fun was it to drive? Was there enough room between the steering wheel and your legs? I'm not expecting a whole lot from it, but I do love a tiny fun car.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I knew the Focus was, honesty I have heard enough about that, this is the first time I've talked to anyone about the Fiesta. It's obviously slower but you said the chassis felt the same, how fun was it to drive? Was there enough room between the steering wheel and your legs? I'm not expecting a whole lot from it, but I do love a tiny fun car.

There was definitely plenty of room to drive it, and I'm 6'2" and 210-220 pounds or so. The Recaro seat was also very comfy and well bolstered like in the Focus, my only complaint about it was the least reclined setting still wasn't quite vertical enough for me (I like my seat pretty straight up in a performance driving enviroment) but it wasn't a big deal at all.

The two cars felt very similar to me handling wise. It definitely has the same ability to slide the tail out in corners as the Focus. It's predictable through the corners but I think it does have just a little less grip ultimately, which could probably be fixed with tires. That said, it's just as fun in the corners as the Focus, IMO, ultimate grip isn't really a requirement for fun at all to me. I really enjoyed the drive, my only complaint, like I said earlier is it just felt like it couldn't rev at all. I wasn't looking at the tach, but I felt the fuel cutoff and I'm pretty sure it was around 6-6.5k and it could just really use another thousand revs to be more fun.

All in all though, it's definitely a good car. It's very fun for the price, and the power really felt fine to me. It felt just slightly slower than the Focus or my stage 1 GTI, not enough to bother me, but I'm not really the type of guy that needs a ton of powah. The interior looks really cheap too, hard plastics and everything. But I mean, the car is cheap and it would still get the job done, it seemed nicely equipped but they sent me to drive it quickly so I didn't check everything out too in depth inside.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Also, I think the Fiesta could actually be quicker on some really tight autox course or something like that, you could feel the lighter weight advantage in quick transitions, but their little course was fairly wide open for the people who can't drive or want to feel the powah in the straights I guess.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
My best time was with the Fiesta ST (but it was also my final lap on the course). Top times for the hour were always with the Focus but I was able to stay up top for 45 minutes with my Fiesta time. I felt like the Focus was not as composed at the limit as the Fiesta. The Fiesta seemed to be more predictable and had more "linear" oversteer IMO

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
My best time was with the Fiesta ST (but it was also my final lap on the course). Top times for the hour were always with the Focus but I was able to stay up top for 45 minutes with my Fiesta time.

I wonder if they set up the same course everywhere.