GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge catch can installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
actually i did thank you if you read a few posts back =)

I genuinely must have missed it. Very sorry. :)

Mike,
I understand this kit requires removal of some stock parts. Which stock parts are these, the low pressure fine oil separator (cyclone), and the high pressure separator that's near the crank case?
Also, what did you size your catch can outlet line off? Did you mimic the factory line going to the intake manifold, or the one going to the turbo inlet? I'm just trying to get an idea what kind of flow rates to expect from this thing, and how much vacuum it will pull in the crank case itself. My concern is if the outlet line is much larger than stock it will pull a hefty vacuum in the crank case / valve cover area, and might end up sucking in more oil than the stock system would. I don't know the outlet orifice size of the cyclone either, but since that's the ultimate flow restriction, if you remove it wouldn't you expect a much higher flow rate?

Thanks!!

I have covered all of this already.

The only thing this removes is the PCV assembly on the top of the valve cover. There is no PCV assembly on the block. There is a channel integrated into the block and head that allows the pressure from the lower portion of the block to come up and equalize with the pressure in the head, all within the PCV assembly. Our Africa plate retains this feature via the fan-shaped cutout on the underside of the plate.

Our tank serves as a replacement for any oil separation that was a part of the OEM PCV assembly, which had minimal effectiveness anyway, due to how much oil, fuel and water vapor that gets through the stock system back into the intake manifold and the turbo inlet. You are simply replacing one type of oil separator with another, arguably more efficient one.

The stock PCV has two hoses, but the crankcase pressure is only ever vented through one of them at any given time. It goes through the front hose to the intake manifold when the manifold is in vacuum and when the manifold sees pressure, a check valve closes and switches to the rear hose to the turbo inlet. Once you have removed the intake manifold connection, and use the turbo inlet as a dedicated vacuum source, only one outlet is needed.

The crankcase will only ever see 1-3 PSI of pressure even at wide open throttle and full boost. The turbo inlet is always under at least 2-3 inches of vacuum at idle, and more at wide open throttle, though it will vary slightly based on the intake used, so it is more than enough to actively draw out the crankcase pressure through the tank, regardless of the hose size being used. The hoses do not need to be a large diameter to vent a mere 3 PSI of crankcase pressure. We sized them sppropriately given the various constraints of the application.

The outlet fitting on our Africa plate is strategically positioned over a baffle already integrated into the valve cover that will prevent liquid oil from being picked up by the fitting and sent to the tank. If it were not positioned at this location, there may indeed be a higher chance of picking up liquid oil, but we proactively considered this very early on in the development. It will suck up no more oil than the stock system would. Perhaps even less.

The main advantage is that this setup is also removing fuel and condensation vapor that can lead to oil dilution if left within the system, and it bypasses the unnecessary intake manifold connection and minimizes the possibility for buildup on the intake valves.

munkey

Ready to race!
My problem with Forge and Mike has nothing to do with the short hose, the africa plate not being sold separately, or the lack of a VTA solution.

My issue is the way that Mike replies to requests and how he generally talks down to potential customers. If he treats people like that BEFORE they give him any money, how do you expect to be treated after you already bought a product?

The catch can looks fantastic. The hose issue has been addressed (and I thanked Mike IMMEDIATELY AFTER he announced that btw). But I have no desire to support a company that has a dedicated customer service rep (by being the only Forge rep here thats how I see you Mike) treating potential customers poorly and rudely.

Thats just my impression though; everyone is free to spend their money as they choose.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
If you want to characterize my posts as "rude", that's perfectly fine.

I am just not the type of person to sugarcoat my posts and placate people who clearly have unrealiztic expectations regarding how they expect to be able to talk to me or how they expect a business to respond to customer demands and criticisms.

I am not here to keep quite and play nice while I'm simultaneously lambasted by the public for absolutely no wrongdoing on my part. To be told how we should conduct our business by people who clearly don't have any real insight into how this particular business is run, rather are more concerned with their personal desires for their personal car. I will defend this company to the death, and just because I pay to sponsor a forum doesn't mean my personal opinion is no longer relevant and I should just sit back and accept a tongue lashing from everyone who feels like giving one.

If I happen to turn some people away in the process, oh well. Maybe I'm just an acquired taste. I've said it before, I would rather offend someone by being honest than to earn their respect with a lie. If you personally decide to let that affect your purchasing decision, so be it. It really is no reflection on anything other than the situation at hand and a response to the comments directed at me. Customer service is paramount here. But we are not pushovers and will not be disrespected ourselves.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
...people who clearly have unrealiztic expectations regarding how they expect to be able to talk to me or how they expect a business to respond to customer demands and criticisms.

...I'm simultaneously lambasted by the public for absolutely no wrongdoing on my part. To be told how we should conduct our business by people who clearly don't have any real insight into how this particular business is run, rather are more concerned with their personal desires for their personal car.

...a tongue lashing from everyone who feels like giving one.

...will not be disrespected ourselves.
Please point out anywhere in this thread where I personally directly criticized you or your company, lambasted, or even responded the slightest bit unchivalrously, and I will formally apologize and leave this thread be.

I'm interested in seeing this thread through your point of view. At what point was I hostile? Was it after you declared me to be lazy? Was it after you asked a prospective buyer for empirical data to back up your own claims? (In response to said buyer mentioning a competitors claims of course.)

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
First, I wasn't refering to you alone specifically, but since you asked, let me point out how snotty and disrespectful some of you have been.

So many of you come in here and dole out criticisms as if you know the best way to do everything, and you get upset with us and call use rude when we defend ourselves? Perhaps you have just gotten a little too used to so many other vendors sitting back and taking the punishment that you don't know how to react to someone not taking the abuse.

would we have to wait as long as the twintake? lol

Proves my point that people don't understand how involved it is to produce so many products and that it takes time.

Your pics are whack.
They don't really show us anything. And you didn't really explain anything either.

A customer can't post a teaser thread for me to create another thread later with details? That was the intent, but now this has been derailed and is FAR off topic.

Dude, I hate to pick but you asked for it:

You cut a new hole in your expensive engine cover for the Forge hose then you left the original cutout unused right next to it! What's up with that? IMO you should have fit the Forge hose without cutting new holes by looping the new Forge hose out the original hole. :bonk:

Forge said it will not fit the stock cut out unless you place the catch can on the right side (no space). I even asked this question and they said they made it that way since it looks better.

I didn't say it was because it looks better, EVER. I said it was for cost control, as well as maintaining emissions compliance and legality, and later added that it was to keep an active vacuum source acting on the crankcase.

I don't get what the big deal is with providing a slightly longer hose to customers who can then cut the hose (rather than the engine cover).

I am pretty sure every customer out there would prefer a hose that would sit in the precut outlet than cutting their own into the engine cover.

Is there a logical reasoning behind this mike? Do you just assume people don't care/won't keep their engine covered? I just don't get it to be honest. The solution would be so simple to me I just want to understand the thought process of having a shorter hose.

Does it work better somehow?

To sit here and tell me that I assume that people don't care about their engine cover is exactly what you folks have accused me of being; RUDE. You guys really think you can talk to me like that and it won't leave a bad taste in my mouth about your attitudes? You think you can talk to me like that and I will sit here and take it without responding? You guys are really good at dishing it out, but you certainly can't take it.

If you guys are so adept at knowing the best way these products should be produced, I suggest you produce them yourself.

Will you be offering a vent to atmosphere option for us lazy peoples?

From the onset, you referred to yourself as lazy.............

I would buy this if their response to a Vent To Atmosphere setup wasn't "do it yourself"

I did provide legitimate reasons why we would not be offering a VTA kit, but you don't recognize that because you are so blinded by your own personal desires.

Hell, why does VW have an online parts ordering website? So people with a busy schedule like myself don't have to drive to a dealer, buy something, and drive back home. But thanks for assuming I'm too lazy to drive to a parts store, and for assuming I don't like what you're offering here. I'm actually impressed by your whole getup, it's a shame you're being overly rash over the smallest things. Is it because it sounds like I'm entitled to a VTA setup? Because if so I apologize, there's nothing I hate more than people who are self-centered.

Good day to you too, sir.

You have the audacity to advise me to drive to the store to pick up a filter for you and ship it to you so that you don't have to do it yourself, when I have already thoroughly explained why we will not be offering a VTA kit.......

THAT'S LAZY

..... and you're just upset that I called you out on it.

The above are just a few examples. There are plenty of examples from other forums and threads, some of which were cross-posted by some of you yourselves. If that's not rude and disrespectful, I don't know what is.

I'm going to ask that this thread be locked.

If you guys don't like what we're offering, you are under no obligation to purchase it, and my advice to you is to move on, because while your suggestions have been heard, so have your insults, and I won't tolerate it any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.