GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T Review and build thread.

SlowS3

Ready to race!
It's because putting a car to "stock" mode is still a Revo tune in "stock" mode not a stock ecu. For me I had to originally flash my car from APR to stock via APR software. There is still a "watermark" on the ECU but not enough that Eurodyne couldn't write over. But if I had tried putting my car in to "stock" mode through my APR programming it would not have been able to write over.

Same thing with GIAC. Problem is sometimes when companies put a car back to "stock" there is still a shadow there. Because they don't know your specific cars stock program many times they have to make a program based off of how a stock car performs and put that on the ECU as "stock."

Not sure if I made any sense.

Good info for anyone looking to go Eurodyne and that is already tuned! Looks like if i decide on doing this next month, ill have to get my revo dealer to put me back to stock.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
i believe each company re-encrypts the ECU when they flash it. So even in stock mode, that encryption persists, and no tuner is really going to spend the time to crack someone else's encryption.

So you have to get it flashed back to stock to remove that encryption, at that point the stock encryption should be on the ECU, then a new tuner can tune it.

looking forward to hearing more updates/opinions on the F23T. May look into it in the not-too-distant future. Just need a solid tune.

.:AreThirteeTwo

Canyon Runner
Update on my install: so AU installed my F23t and IC today but we ran into a jam when we were unable to flash my revo stage 2 to stock in-order to flash to eurodyne... So for now I'm stuck with revo stage 2 file until I can get a revo dealer to reflash me to stock... Otherwise it's working just fine on the tune, pulling hard given I'm not going WOT or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AU ran into the same problem with my giac software. I know they are trying to work on something to get the euro dyne put on as my cars been out about a week now

steemax

Go Kart Champion
AU ran into the same problem with my giac software. I know they are trying to work on something to get the euro dyne put on as my cars been out about a week now

Yeah kinda sucks but it's the nature of a product in progress... Hopefully we'll be able to tune over the stock revo file.

I know AU said there was no luck with the GIAC stock file and Unis software doesn't even allow it. APR stock file is able to be flashed over.... So time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
The flashing process over OBD has a limited ability to "force" a new file onto the ECU. Basically, the flash-loader needs a successful handshake from the ECU in order to begin, and virtually all the aftermarket software companies have counterfeiting protections which block the handshake. This is purely a protection for the licensing companies' intellectual property. The fact that it blocks OBD-port over-writing is kind of just an unfortunate side effect.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
The flashing process over OBD has a limited ability to "force" a new file onto the ECU. Basically, the flash-loader needs a successful handshake from the ECU in order to begin, and virtually all the aftermarket software companies have counterfeiting protections which block the handshake. This is purely a protection for the licensing companies' intellectual property. The fact that it blocks OBD-port over-writing is kind of just an unfortunate side effect.

Does this mean I need to have Giac flash me to stock? Or can I just use their flashloader to go to the stock file?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Not sure. Don't think they've had to switch anyone over yet. Their test cars have been stock I believe. I may be wrong though.

Avant

Ready to race!
Just did 341whp and 396wtq on GIAC k04 software, only 17 pounds of boost at redline.

Wait wtf? Using the FT23? What gas? What dyno!?

And I'm pretty sure anyone can flash over GIAC's software by flashing it on the bench and putting it in boot mode (not sure about OBD-II). I've never heard of someone not being able to flash over the software. Austin should probably chime in on this.