GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T testing on K04 software

divinevr6

Ready to race!
I'm not a uni user, but there are no tweaks you can make, you just put an MBC in parallel, and that's it.

yeah that's what I want to know. I know you can't tweak the tune but to the turbo. reading where some people adjust their wastegate..

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
yeah that's what I want to know. I know you can't tweak the tune but to the turbo. reading where some people adjust their wastegate..

Doug had suggested to me to leave the wastegate alone, unless there's something a specific you're after. On any standard k04 file I don't think you'll need it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

If you want to tweak Buy Eurodyne and tweak your tune. I wouldnt play to much on the hardware tweak side of things.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Leave the turbo setup alone for now. The testing should start with a focus on how the standard F23T does on K04 software.

Doug, I have the plugs and coils installed, and so far there's no other codes or issues. I thought I was going to be able to get to the dyno this weekend, but it looks like it may not be until next week. However, if an opportunity pops up I might be able to get there this week.

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
Not to divert the thread or start a flame war but I am curious on the benefits of the F23T over say a APR K04. I'm honestly trying to chase near stage 3 power (~360whp) but with a k04 esque spool. Any input?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Not to divert the thread or start a flame war but I am curious on the benefits of the F23T over say a APR K04. I'm honestly trying to chase near stage 3 power (~360whp) but with a k04 esque spool. Any input?

Well you aren't gonna get 360WHP with an off the shelf K04 setup. So I guess that's the main advantage lol. You will get more power, with similar spool to a K04 because, it is just a modified K04.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion

At some point you will simply have to add either wmi, or switch to e85. 360 hp seems to be easier to get on these turbos, but it's going to come down to the tune itself. A good custom tuner is where the most power can be gained.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

One big advantage for the F23T is the way its built helps reduce the risk of surge.

Standard k04 tend to have a pretty good way of making up some surge by design...

Also the other main difference is PRICE.

Youre talking ~$2100 with a tune(Eurodyne Maestro)for the F23T.

The cheapest new K04 kit there is roughly $1900 from CTS Turbo which does not include software... so you're looking at 700-900 for a tune on top of that.

The cheapest k04 kit with a tune is either Unitronic or AWE both are $2499.99
APR k04 kit is $2699.99

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
One big advantage for the F23T is the way its built helps reduce the risk of surge.

Standard k04 tend to have a pretty good way of making up some surge by design...

Also the other main difference is PRICE.

Youre talking ~$2100 with a tune(Eurodyne Maestro)for the F23T.

The cheapest new K04 kit there is roughly $1900 from CTS Turbo which does not include software... so you're looking at 700-900 for a tune on top of that.

The cheapest k04 kit with a tune is either Unitronic or AWE both are $2499.99
APR k04 kit is $2699.99

i agree that if you're stock, F23T is an amazing deal, and if you have a tuner nearby that's comfortable with eurodyne it's a no brainer.

the problem is for people like me who are already stage 1 or 2. we've paid a significant cost of the software already -- upgrading to K04 is only $100-200 for software. CTS and SPULEN kits can bought for ~$1700 on sale. after adding everything up, upgrading to K04 for me is about the same cost as switching to F23T+eurodyne.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
i agree that if you're stock, F23T is an amazing deal, and if you have a tuner nearby that's comfortable with eurodyne it's a no brainer.

the problem is for people like me who are already stage 1 or 2. we've paid a significant cost of the software already -- upgrading to K04 is only $100-200 for software. CTS and SPULEN kits can bought for ~$1700 on sale. after adding everything up, upgrading to K04 for me is about the same cost as switching to F23T+eurodyne.

You will still have more power with a ED custom tune. Even k04 files with f23 will yield more power than a standard k04.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie

Your logic and math are good here, it's the same dilemma I have. My GIAC dealer would charge me a small amount ($1-200) for the K04 flash and when CTS is running a promo they've even thrown in installation in the past making my OTD costs right around $2k total.

At that point, I know I've got hardware thats working with the software and all is right with the world.

Definitely looking forward to some hard data that shows K04 files working with the F23T. At least for me and my comfort zone, saving a few hundred dollars on the hardware and having the software not play nice isn't in the cards.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
Your logic and math are good here, it's the same dilemma I have. My GIAC dealer would charge me a small amount ($1-200) for the K04 flash and when CTS is running a promo they've even thrown in installation in the past making my OTD costs right around $2k total.

At that point, I know I've got hardware thats working with the software and all is right with the world.

Definitely looking forward to some hard data that shows K04 files working with the F23T. At least for me and my comfort zone, saving a few hundred dollars on the hardware and having the software not play nice isn't in the cards.

I think it's safe to say that there has not been any issues running K04 software. If you want a set and forget type of thing, the k04 is good. I haven't had issues with my tune, and I've had the mbc off the car for about 2 weeks or so now.