GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From Civic Si to Mazdaspeed3 to GTI. My story with pics.

KingKoopaBoy

Hello, I'm a new member and a GTI owner from Houston. If you don't feel like reading my little story please scroll down to the pics. Over the past 6 years I've owned a 2009 Civic Si sedan, a 2012 Speed3, and a GTI. The 09 Si was a hell of car to drive. Revving the N/A Vtec engine past 8,000 RPMs and slamming through all the gears was really addicting and fun. The only gripe I ever have about the car is the lack of torque and the car sounding like I'm going 60 when I'm doing 10 mph lol. Till this day I still think about that car. An amazing engine that took all the beating in the world and not one single problem at 65k miles even after it was fully bolt on with stage 2 supercharger! Sadly the fun ended on Nov. 2011. One night I was coming home from work when some idiot in a dropped Chevy truck wanted to race me on the highway.. you see them everywhere in Houston. Anyways I was really tired from work so I ignored him.. he kept doing ricer flybys like most "dropped Chevy truck drivers" do here in Houston. If your from Houston you'll know exactly what I mean. As I kept ignoring him he kept on doing it. We approached an exit when he decided to switch lanes really fast at the same time hitting me in the rear bumper. I lost control at 60 mph, hit the wall, bounced and spun back, hitting the wall again. And of course he fled... the car was totaled and began my search for a new ride. I ended up getting a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 with the "tech package" that included a poor excuse of a navigation, hid's, Bose speakers, and I forgot what else. The car was cool at first. Over time I started not to like the car and really missed my Honda. It was a fun car, but it lacked the spirit the Si had. It felt kinda "bleh". Flooring it and shifting through all the gears didn't feel as fun and the torque steer was awful. As time past I didn't care to upgrade my car or anything. I hardly cared to go fast or floor it. I thought maybe I was growing out of the "racer" stage. After almost a year I decided I wanted something else. Something more comfortable and fun at the same time. After looking at several different cars. I ended up getting a new 2012 GTI Autobahn with DSG. I got a good deal since 2013's were already out. I ended up losing the money I had payed on the Mazda and they paid of what I owned on it. I didn't care, I didn't want that car anymore. After having the GTI since October all I can say is that I love it. Its comfortable, fun, quick, sporty, quiet and loud when it has to be. Everything I wanted in a car. I have 10k miles on the car and haven't had a problem. The only thing I done to it, its the window tint witch is a must here in Texas. Overall I am very happy with my GTI. I really don't have plans to start modding it. I want to keep it original and maybe just maybe drop it a couple inches. Also if anyone cares witch car has been my favorite. I can honestly say the Civic Si. I don't know why maybe because I owned it the longest and went through a lot with it. Learning how to drive stick with it, installing all the bolt ons myself, getting it supercharged, getting it keyed and having it painted, all the trials and errors, and so on. I really bonded to that car. Anyways thanks for those who actually took the time reading this and I look forward to posting on this forum and maybe one day start modding my GTI. :happyanim:

The Civic Si

Night of the accident

RIP

All I have left from the Civic

Picking up the Speed3

Speed3 with tint

Last time I saw the Speed3

Picking up my Mk6 at the dealership.

A few hours later at home with same day window tint.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I want to keep it original and maybe just maybe drop it a couple inches.

^^ hah, this guy :D

K04 in a month, I'm calling it.

Whale cum! Don't look around too much, this forum is a disease for the wallet.

Seriously, just go stage 1. Much more usable power. And it'll be a bit quicker than the speed 3 was.

butchered by autocorrect

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the VW community.

Great looking car, and as XGC75 said go run and get stage 1 ASAP. It's how the car should have come stock... and still no torque steer :)

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Welcome! And yeah, at least get a Stage 1 tune. It's how the car should've come from the factory.

KingKoopaBoy

^^ hah, this guy :D

K04 in a month, I'm calling it.

Whale cum! Don't look around too much, this forum is a disease for the wallet.

Seriously, just go stage 1. Much more usable power. And it'll be a bit quicker than the speed 3 was.

butchered by autocorrect

Nooo I will not turn to the dark side! The GTI feels just as quick as the Speed3 honestly except for the torque.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Welcome,you'll enjoy your GTI a lot,specially if you start to consider upgrades for it,I know you Civic SI was a very organic car,but the GTI is better all around.Keep posting and reading:)

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Does the tune work good with DSG? I read somewhere about "DSG reflash" or something..

Tunes work even better with the DSG... no clutch upgrade required or DSG tune :thumbup:

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Does the tune work good with DSG? I read somewhere about "DSG reflash" or something..

Engine tune works very well with DSG. A DSG tune is separate; it basically messes with the DSG computer to shift at different points and eliminate some of the jerkiness. I've read people have been happy with their DSG tunes, but I wouldn't say they're as necessary as a good Stage 1 engine tune.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Congratulations and Welcome. You will see how refined the GTI is compared to your past Rides. I am alway impressed when I get inside my GTI. I always get the feeling I am driving much more expensive High Performance Luxury Car. I am Stage 2 with TBE. My biggest issue is not Torque Steer. It is tire spin. I don't race my GTI often, so it's really not that big of an issue. I can only imagine how fast it would be if I could get it to hook at WOT. :D

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
Coming home from an 08 speed3 and 10 Gen Coupe I can understand where you're coming from. Congrats on your new purchase also excellent color choice!

Sent via Tapatalk 2

KO7

Ready to race!
I came from a 2010 Civic Si sedan to a 2012 CW GTI w/ DSG too.

I know what you mean about missing the Si, it was a ton of fun to run through the gears and it cornered like a champ. Honestly, i'd probably still have it if not for the horrible rush hour traffic and if my gf was willing to learn manual driving.

I love the GTI though, will be changing to cherry red LED tails and 35% window tint soon. I have extended warranty til 2019, so I'm not certain I'll do an ECU flash to even Stage 1.