GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Gauge not working

tzd

Ready to race!
My Golf 2.5L just reached 10 years old and 95000 miles. Recently the fuel gauge started to become erratic. 2 fill-ups ago, I filled it up to full and its reading was about 3/4 full. At the last fill-up, it was showing 1/4 full after I filled the tank up to the brim.

Wondering if this is a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this before and knows what it takes to fix it?

tzd

Ready to race!
Here's an update on my Golf - because the tank was fueled up to the brim, I had planned to drive it for a couple weeks more to reduce the level of fuel before doing the fuel pump replacement. However before I got the chance to do that, the engine died while driving on the road. Coincidentally, it was the exact date 10 years ago that I originally bought it.

I got it towed to my VW repair shop and they replaced the fuel pump, plus also replaced one of the CV boot that I've already known to be cracking.

This is the first and only major repair that I needed to do on my Golf in all 10 years. Really happy with the reliability of this car and I hope to be driving it for many more years!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Here's an update on my Golf - because the tank was fueled up to the brim, I had planned to drive it for a couple weeks more to reduce the level of fuel before doing the fuel pump replacement. However before I got the chance to do that, the engine died while driving on the road. Coincidentally, it was the exact date 10 years ago that I originally bought it.

I got it towed to my VW repair shop and they replaced the fuel pump, plus also replaced one of the CV boot that I've already known to be cracking.

This is the first and only major repair that I needed to do on my Golf in all 10 years. Really happy with the reliability of this car and I hope to be driving it for many more years!

Good to hear, I plan on keeping mine for a long time. Reminded me that I have a new fuel filter to install! Out of sight out of mind