GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full EEPROM? Is this a thing?

93serprise

Ready to race!
Long story short, got my car back from a trusted shop down the street to get a water pump replaced along with a new MAP sensor harness. I am currently using a Unitronic K04 tune, and wanted to switch over to my IE K04 tune since I acquired a Stage 2.5 Snow Meth kit. I am unable to change tunes using either Unitronics flash tool or the Powerlink from IE. I am unable to even go to stock tune using either tool. Battery voltage is above 11 volts and on a trickle charger. I reached out to IE support and after a couple of days was told just this evening that my ECU needs to be replaced because the memory is full. Is that a real situation? Is there a limit to how many times you can go back and forth between tunes before the ECU just locks up? This is definite news to me if so, and sucks major ass. I have swapped tunes probably 20 times in the last 3-4 years out of boredom honestly. Thanks for any and all help :)

93serprise

Ready to race!
This :)

F708A5D3-2009-4AE8-8148-7FA19D467C1B.jpeg

93serprise

Ready to race!
I have tried two different computers as well. I will have to try and get a screenshot of the error when trying to use the Uniconnect tool. The car runs perfectly fine with the current tune file on it, but am stuck using it essentially.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Last response from IE....

33C5D8DA-6AD9-401C-868B-29B0CD7558F8.png

93serprise

Ready to race!
I guess I am just confused as to what could have possibly happened to my ecu to cause it to have to be completely replaced. I have never had any tune related issues or issues flashing over the years. I have had APR, Unitronic, IE, and Stratified tunes for my k04 and now have a faulty ecu apparently after getting a water pump replaced. It just seems odd to me.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Never knew this was a thing. How many times have you flashed it?

E: nm I see you said on the op about 20 times. That is indeed a lot of tunes. I've had my car for like 5-6 yrs and have only flashed it twice. Super interesting problem tho

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I mean some people carry a lap top around with them and tweak their tunes all the time. Maybe they weren’t gti’s so idk 🤷‍♂️

I don't think the issue is tweaking or updating a tune file, it sounds like OP has basically had every company known to man tune his ECU. For instance, when I change from my 93 octane file to my 100 octane file, that's not a new file. When APR updates a setting, the original file is just modified although it would count as a flash count (see below).

However, when you have APR tune the car, and then IE tune it, that's 2 separate files or blocks. Now, I would have assumed that in that case the new tuner erases the old one but perhaps there is still data left behind? The only other thing I can think of is a VW setting to limit the number of reflashes due to a limitation in the chip leading to corruption. There is a limit to the number of writes and re-writes the media can take. With that many flashes and presumably updates, tweaks, ect you could hit that wall in theory or at least approach it.

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the water pump replacement, if you had tried to switch tunes I bet the same thing would have happened. It's uncharted because that many different tunes is pretty rare and uncommon.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Makes complete sense. Never thought about it before, or read it anywhere so I thought I could change between my tunes at will as many times as I wanted :) I guess I need to find a used ECU now to be able to go back to my IE Meth tune after installing the Intake manifold :(

93serprise

Ready to race!
This does suck for people that like to switch between a crackle IE tune and a non crackle tune every few months or so. Or people that use Stratified and load new revisions 7-9 times. I doubt I have flashed 20 times, but it is very possible within a 3-4 year time span since getting my K04 tune.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I think it's more in line with what thumper said. It probably isn't so much the amount of times you flashed it but more from switching so many brands.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Damn this is news to me but kind of makes sense.

Been on these forums for a loooong time - since mkv days; and not once have I seen this come up.

Good to know...