GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Stage 1 Review!

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
can anyone here comment on the GIAC customer service? GIAC is gonna have a sale soon and I'd like to know if they are on par or better than APR

I'm in the same boat regarding an ECU flash myself. :mad0259: I did receive an endorsement for GIAC from a local reputable (to me) VW aftermarket seller shop which only sells hardware, not a garage and doesn't do any ECU flashes. I've also PM'd Thomas at GIAC and he was kind enough to address my concerns in a timely manner. I'm leaning towards GIAC flash 70/30 at this point. Just waiting for the right timing as the past Big Bear Euro event and next weeks SoCal Euro gathering in San Diego don't fit my schedule :bonk:

Last edited:

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat regarding an ECU flash myself. :mad0259: I did receive an endorsement for GIAC from a local reputable (to me) VW aftermarket seller shop which only sells hardware, not a garage and doesn't do any ECU flashes. I've also PM'd Austin at GIAC and he was kind enough to address my concerns in a timely manner. I'm leaning towards GIAC flash 70/30 at this point. Just waiting for the right timing as the past Big Bear Euro event and next weeks SoCal Euro gathering in San Diego don't fit my schedule :bonk:

Send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out for you.

dephcon5

Going with GIAC on my MK6 GLI. I had APR on my MKV GTI and recently traded that in for a slightly larger baby sear transporter. Anyway, its cold now so I am only going with stage1 tune. Stage 2 will come some time when the weather warms up and I can save a few bucks for exhaust / intake. Any exhaust / intake recommendations for the GIAC stage 2 on a Jetta (2012) ? Also, are the dyno numbers any different between 6MT and DSG? Most of what I am reading shows DSG and my GLI is a 6MT.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
This is a great company with great customer service, I have stage 1 on my r and I've had no issues and only good things to say... Since adding the p flo intake it feels like driving a different car.. Or it's just the way it should have been in the first place ....

Aigoo

Ready to race!
I've had GIAC for nearly two years now (stage one only lululul) and it's been great to me. Customer service has been great as well, but just to clarify GIAC customer service is separate from the tuners (place that actually flashes the ecu) customer service. Luckily I've had a good relationship with my tuner, and hopefully others can find a reputable tuner in their area!

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
Going with GIAC on my MK6 GLI. I had APR on my MKV GTI and recently traded that in for a slightly larger baby sear transporter. Anyway, its cold now so I am only going with stage1 tune. Stage 2 will come some time when the weather warms up and I can save a few bucks for exhaust / intake. Any exhaust / intake recommendations for the GIAC stage 2 on a Jetta (2012) ? Also, are the dyno numbers any different between 6MT and DSG? Most of what I am reading shows DSG and my GLI is a 6MT.

We have utilized the AWE CCB intake on our MK6 GTI from day one. Most of your exhaust gains will come from upgrading the downpipe, and there are a host of viable options. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help!

Thomas@GIAC

Ready to race!
Their history is hard to ignore.

Here's a little interesting tidbit about our history that a lot of people aren't familiar with:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/coming-to-america-in-the-porsche-959.html

We were the first company to recode the factory EU Porsche 959 to accept US emissions equipment. By no means an easy task, but worth it to bring this legendary Porsche stateside.

S&D was a win, but it was not an exemption from emissions testing. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires all vehicles less than 21 years old used on U.S. roads to meet air emissions standards for the year of manufacture. Before it could be declared legal for road use, the 959 had to meet EPA standards. Converting the 959 to conform to emissions regulations was never going to be easy, especially in California. For starters, the 959 was never sold with catalytic converters, a requirement in California, nor was its Motronic brain programmed to recognize an oxygen sensor.

G&K in Santa Ana, California, was one of the first companies to gain NHTSA and EPA approval for a Porsche 959 under the S&D legislation. In partnership with GIAC, a developer of vehicle software, G&K certified the first of its California-legal Porsche 959s in September 2001. It took $45,000 of work to do so.

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
That's funny I had a 94 Camry right before also.

Gonna take advantage of the APR sale once my spark plugs and new coil packs come in.

dephcon5

So I have Stage 1 GIAC for 2 months. Holidays over and funds available I am going to upgrade the DP/intake then go to Stage 2 soon. I plan to order the parts this week from AWE.
Anyone running this combination on a 12 GLI 6MT?

Avant

Ready to race!
So I have Stage 1 GIAC for 2 months. Holidays over and funds available I am going to upgrade the DP/intake then go to Stage 2 soon. I plan to order the parts this week from AWE.
Anyone running this combination on a 12 GLI 6MT?

FWIW.. I have a '12 GTI 6MT with GIAC Stage 2 with the AWE downpipe and a custom intake. Running very well.

A buddy of mine has a '12 GLI but with DSG and will be getting your planned setup too.