GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf / GTI MkVI reliability -- better stats, ASAP

mkaresh

Ready to race!
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide stats on new models quickly and then track cars closely as they age.

We've had great participation by owners of the MkIV and especially the MkV. I'd like to do the same with the MkVI, and have reliability stats well before any other source. It all depends on how promptly owners sign up and participate.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Golf and GTI, for free. I'll post results for the MkVI to this thread once I have them.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Ready to race!
Eleven 2010s so far. If we can double this in the next few weeks there's a good chance of a preliminary result in February.

mkaresh

Ready to race!
The site requires a lot of hard work, so I'm glad you like it.

Now if we can just have an initial result for the MkVI in February...

mkaresh

Ready to race!
Now 26 signed up. Getting closer to 40.

Here's what the lates results look like for the MkV, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2005.5-2006 Jetta: 68, about average

2006.5-2007: 68, about average

2008: 39, better than average and than earlier years

Split the 2009 this time around:

2009 gas: 28, better than average

2009 diesel: 29, better than average

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the Jetta, Rabbit, and GTI, the percentage with no repairs is about 64 for the 2006.5-2007 and 73 for the 2008, while the percentage of lemons is about 5 for the 2006.5-2007 and less than one for the 2008.

To help provide similar information on the MkVI:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Ready to race!
About to start the final survey round before the February results with 40 owners signed up to help. Might be enough, but a few more participants would certainly improve the odds.

Not signed up yet? Details here:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Ready to race!
I enrolled today but I don't have my car yet :lol:
Hope to get it by Wednesday.

If you didn't have the car in December, just enter -1 for the odometer on this month's survey--which will cover the fourth quarter of 2009.

Redgroup

Hi All

new member joined golfmk6.com today, so i've also signed up for this. Look forward to posting a few photos etc soon.

Cheers

mkaresh

Ready to race!
Might have an intial result next month, but it's going to be tight. I'm going to put extra effort into making this happen. If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey, please do so. (Well, unless you're still waiting for the car to arrive.)

Signed up but not receiving emails for the survey? Please let me know.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Ready to race!
We don't have results yet because the TDIs are having unique problems, so I've had to split the sample. I already had to split off the Jetta sedan, since it remains an MkV.

So I'm splittle the 2010 sample four ways so far.

What this means: need more participants.

We will have at least a partial result iin May with the current number of participants. But a full result would of course be much better.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

MofoG23

Ready to race!
I just signed up. :thumbsup: