GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolferGTI's 2012 GTI Build

GolferGTI12

Ready to race!
Hi everyone! My name is Josh, I own a 2012 GTI Autobahn, and I live in Northwest Indiana/a hop skip and a jump away from Chicago. I figured I’ve been lurking in this forum for over 3 years now so it’s time I started my own build thread.

I’ve always been a car nut and after a long process or making cost-analysis sheets and weighing pros and cons, I sold my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and bought the GTI. I bought the car when I was a junior in college so the “cool” mods didn’t come in until a few years later. As I found out, working a part-time job while also going to school and making car payments doesn’t exactly leave a lot of room in the budget for fun or expensive mods. Now that I am out of school and kind of an adult, I can actually buy real upgrades and parts. Crazy how that works.

I’ve had a lot of ups and downs with the car and I want to use this thread to show others what the real costs of owning a GTI can be. I’ve had a decent amount of repairs and work done to the car and I’ve kept track of the costs just like the previous two owners did as well, so hopefully other owners/potential owners can see what it all adds up to and how quick the costs add up.

Major note: my GTI has been burning a quart of oil every 500 miles or so basically since I bought the car. I never checked the oil when I first got it (My Jeep never burned any oil so this car shouldn’t either! *eyeroll*) and only realized what was going on when the CHECK OIL NOW alert popped up. I added oil and thought nothing of it. 3 years later and after changing oil types and brands, replacing the turbo (potential oil usage), and asking multiple different shops what could be going on, I decided to pull the engine myself and find out what was wrong. I will detail that all later in the thread after getting all the basic stuff out of the way.

Info:
Instagram: @golfer_gti - I have been playing golf competitively for over 10 years now, so I found it appropriate to also be driving a Golf. It makes too much sense

Car Info:
• 2012 Volkswagen GTI – CSG/Carbon Steel Grey – CCTA engine
• 4-door
• Autobahn Package
• DSG
• Bought with 79k miles on it in January 2017
• Car was originally from South Carolina and then purchased by a kid in Illinois who never drove it in the rain/snow. This thing is clean as can be.
• I daily drove the GTI up until October 2019 when I bought a beater Subaru Forester to put the winter miles on and keep salt off the car that matters

Major Maintenance:
• 83,000 miles – 4 new tires – Cooper Zeon RS3 All Seasons
-Ok tires for the summer. Awful tires for the winter. Wouldn’t buy again.​
• 84,500 – Timing Chain Tensioner and chains replaced at VW Dealer
-Chain, tensioner, camshaft bridge, guides, etc.​
• 106,000 – Right front wheel hub/bearing replaced
• 106,000 – Transmission Pan Leak fixed – pan replaced
• 110,000 – Carbon cleaning performed
• 120,000 – DSG Service – new fluid and filter
• 126,000 – Engine Build / Repair

MOD LIST:
• Beluga Racing Cat Back Exhaust
• R8 coil packs
• NGK BK8REIX Spark Plugs
• APR Full Intake – The carbon fiber one with stage 2 tube included
APR Stage 1 tune
GFB DV+
• NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge
• ARM Motorsports Catted Downpipe
• 42DD O2 Spacer
034 Motorsports Catch Can Version 1
CTS Torque Arm Insert
• Neuspeed RSE12 18x8
• Firestone Indy Firehawk 225/40r18
• Integrated Engineering KO4 Turbo
-Dyno tune – 300 whp / 310 lb-ft torque – done by MobileOne Inc. – Glenview, IL​
-Mild tune equipped since I was burning so much oil at the time​
-Will be tuned again after engine build is complete​
• DSG Tune – done by MobileOne Inc. – Glenview, IL
• Engine Build
-JE Forged Ultra Series Pistons​
-Integrated Engineering Connecting Rods for use w/aftermarket pistons​
-ARP Headstuds​
-USP Motorsports Aluminum Water Pump​
-Integrated Engineering Valve Springs​
-iAbed Rear Main Seal​
• 034 Motorsports Dogbone Mount
• 034 Motorsports Aluminum Dogbone Mount Insert
• VWR / Racingline Trans Mount
• VWR / Racingline Engine Mount

Exterior/Interior Mod List:
• Color matched sidemarkers
• Black VW Emblems front and rear
• OEM VW Dark Cherry LED Taillights
• 30% tints – previous owner installed. I will be changing them to 20%
• Yellow LED foglights – because racekar
• DEI Industries Gold Heat Tape - +5 scene points +5 cooling points
• Klii Motorwerkes custom USA Flag insert for rear emblem

I will continue to update this list with all parts and work done on the car in the future. If any members have any questions I will try to provide a good answer or feedback. I will also be making separate posts for all parts that were added onto the GTI because I think I have pictures from every install. The thing I love having is information on different parts and stuff so I will be providing that all here for future parts-buyers and what not. Never hurts to have another opinion floating around the internet!

Jan 2017 when I got the GTI:
GTI 1st picture.jpg

As it sits now (June 2020)
GTI 2020 2.jpg

GTI 2020 3.jpg

GolferGTI12

Ready to race!
Cool. Welcome to the club! It seems like you are already well off to a great start!👍

Thank you! This forum has been a huge help over the past few years and a lot of the parts I've bought have been based on reviews I've read here