GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Crossroads (House Building Thread)

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I say a combination of 2 and 3. I would suggest selling the parts you currently have not installed to get some $$ back. Your car currently has a bunch of suspension and braking upgrades, that will suffice to keep fun in tact.

I think getting another vehicle will just turn into another project. If you are like most of us on here who can't leave anything alone, which I think you are, whatever you get won't stay stock for long..whether you say it will or not, I will bet on not. I don't think that would be beneficial at all.

Selling random parts off of your car will just make you think of how it used to do something (handle, go, stop) and make you want that part again. I would advise against this. On top of the fact that you WILL have low ballers on items and end up getting less than what you think you will.

So..sell brakes and shocks. Stop buying car parts. Save money.

I would also suggest thinking about hanging on to the student loan. Thats even more money you can save without dumping it into paying off a loan.

EDIT:
GTI is 100% paid off. Just paying insurance. I like the idea of "fortifying" my maintenance. I'd pay a little up front for intake, valve cleaning and tensioner update to satisfy my VW reliability qualms.

I did a timing tensioner and valve cleaning myself in one day (which would include changing the intake if you had to do so). You can buy a tensioner/sealant/crank bolt for around $100 bucks, an intake manifold for $130 (I think thats what they are) and new injector seals for $40 (for all injectors, should be replaced when the intake is out). I let seafoam soak in the port ($15) and scraped with various tools to clean my valves and they came out great. So for around $350 (including an oil change or whatever other random things you may need) you will have a car that should easily last double whatever mileage you are currently at. I had almost 50k on my 2011 and figured it was a good time to perform this "maintenance" to have a solid, reliable vehicle for another 50k.

Last edited:

hvltg

Ready to race!
option two.. try to keep car. part out some & keep saving.

the problem with option one.. you go the civic rt and i can see more money & mods in the future! :)

my 2 pennies

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Fast cars are nice BUT my smartest investment has been buying a home!

I sold my toys to get a home, now I have a home and can afford to play with toys again!

Noize

Go Kart Champion
House > car, period. It's your family! You'll have plenty of years to get a fun car again. Option 1 is the only rational choice to me.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
I will NOT be owning another VW after this one, unfortunately. Honda has some great stuff coming out soon and will aim my sights on that when they do. I mean....why not? I work for them......I design for them.....make sense right?

Is Honda EVER going to try some forced induction with their sportier cars? I just can't imagine having a completely NA car unless it was a v8. Too much money too mod without significant returns on an NA 4 banger making low 200s hp IMHO.

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Save however much more your mortgage is than your rent each month to see if you need to make any lifestyle changes as far as how you spend your money. Put the pretend mortgage money away and eventually use it for your down payment. Make sure you can afford the house regardless of whether you sell your car/mods first.

With that, I lean towards option 2. If your car is paid off, I wouldn't get rid of it until it starts to become a money pit. Unless you could buy a low mileage reliable car with cash.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Is Honda EVER going to try some forced induction with their sportier cars? I just can't imagine having a completely NA car unless it was a v8. Too much money too mod without significant returns on an NA 4 banger making low 200s hp IMHO.

What do you think? Do you think they are trying currently? Better yet, what is an outsider's POV about Honda's current path. Keeping in mind, New Accord, New MDX, RDX, etc. etc. etc. What about our sport offerings? What is your honest opinion?

Obviously, I cannot share any information I know due to its nature. There is much being rumored and speculated through the media. I can pick out who has a good source and who doesn't just by the content of the rumor.

However, I will give you all this:
http://www.hondasacuras.com/

Probably one of THE best sites to get true Honda/Acura information besides TOV.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
How it is a good idea for people to rent and not buy a home seems very odd to me. Maybe if they said stay home and live with your parents but renting? doesn't make much sense.

Several reasons that I won't go over but include things like--paying the mortgage often means no RRSP contributions or TSFA contributions.

I agree a house is an 'investment' but not in all circumstances. If you bought a house in the U.S. in 2007 you likely aren't too happy today.
And there are insurance, maintenance and tax costs.

It's just not a no-brainer calculation.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I hate debt. Hate it 100%. I currently have none. No car payments, no credit card balance, nothing. My wife has $20K in loans and I'm funneling some money towards that to pay it off quick.

Our goal is to be 100% debt free before we buy a house and have kids. Its looking very promising.

100% debt free except for the $200000+ that you owe the bank at an interest rate that is likely similar to that of the student loans?

Look at it this way: What will cost more in the long run, putting $20k more into the down payment on the house or paying off the student loan early?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
What do you think? Do you think they are trying currently? Better yet, what is an outsider's POV about Honda's current path. Keeping in mind, New Accord, New MDX, RDX, etc. etc. etc. What about our sport offerings? What is your honest opinion?

I think they've lost the way a bit.

The 07-11 Si wasn't bad. The styling was bearable, and I personally loved the powertrain, gearbox, and steering feel. Then they neutered it with the lower-revving 2.4, numb electronic steering, and the dumpy 2012 redesign.

The CR-Z had a lot of potential as a concept. They should have either made it an Insight coupe, and made it a fuel-sipping hybrid, or made it a successor to the CR-X and made a true sport hybrid that handles and has inspiring performance. It simply tries to cater to too many interests and doesn't nail any one of them well.

Then they killed the S2000. :cry:

They need to produce cars with soul, character, and innovation. Not everything they make needs to be a dumpy neutered appliance that caters to the masses. The dumpy neutered appliances should allow for the production of halo cars like the S2000.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Several reasons that I won't go over but include things like--paying the mortgage often means no RRSP contributions or TSFA contributions.

I agree a house is an 'investment' but not in all circumstances. If you bought a house in the U.S. in 2007 you likely aren't too happy today.
And there are insurance, maintenance and tax costs.

It's just not a no-brainer calculation.

Of course its not a no brainer but I would guess that 90%-95% of the time buying is better then renting. There are super cheap homes out there that may need a little love and care but you can do that over time and in the end you usually come out on top.

chc29

Ready to race!
$400/week is around $1700 a month, if you're stashing $1700 a month that's $13000 by January. That fits right on with your 5% down on a 270000 house. This is you starting from 0 this month. I would suggest easing off on the loan payments (if they're not at a high interest rate) and stashing more away for the down payment and closing cost. Still sell all the uninstalled parts for even more of a cushion, but I don't see the need to sell the car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
100% debt free except for the $200000+ that you owe the bank at an interest rate that is likely similar to that of the student loans?

Look at it this way: What will cost more in the long run, putting $20k more into the down payment on the house or paying off the student loan early?

Havent really done the math, but my logic right now is getting the cash flow from the mortgage to an acceptable level to not impact our current budget. Once the student loan is paid off we have THAT much more to put towards the mortgage.

Let me brain dump one sec:
Current: 1250/mo
Future: Let's say.....$1400/mo 30years $2000 for 15years etc. etc.
Beyond Our Expense budget savings:
Myself = $400/week = $2000/mo
Wife: $850/2weeks = $1700 going towards loans. (Well...less than that. She tends to hold a few every now and then for herself. lol Women)

So $3700 outside of normal budget expenses. Take away $200 for mortgage increase (Assuming 30years): $3500. Take away loan payment: $1800/mo for pure savings. If we were to pay off the loan quicker we can have almost $3500 that could go ANYWHERE since its not part of any budget at that point. We could even pay more on the mortgage if we wanted or just save it all.

I'm definitely a point and shoot guy. I dont take into account percentages of value of money now vs. in the future so there might be something I'm forgetting...but more cash flow = more cash flow regardless.

Would be nice saying...."In a few months...we can save enough for a car. Buy it. Debt free" Which is my ultimate goal in life.

Well, after all, she did marry you!

Bazinga.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

You sir win the internet today.