GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Hella Functional (Part Deux)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Was going to get APR DSG Tune today, but APR is booked. (I took today off)

Oh well, Bought some good detailing goodies from Detailers Domain for my "winter prep" (LOL ALABAMA WEATHER!). Needs a good polish and wax. I've only polished it once this year.

I've noticed with the cooler weather, that the bushings are getting stiffer. Might be time to replace them since they're sloppy during the hotter months.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Was going to get APR DSG Tune today, but APR is booked. (I took today off)

Oh well, Bought some good detailing goodies from Detailers Domain for my "winter prep" (LOL ALABAMA WEATHER!). Needs a good polish and wax. I've only polished it once this year.

I've noticed with the cooler weather, that the bushings are getting stiffer. Might be time to replace them since they're sloppy during the hotter months.

Oh wow, he's alive!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Currently at APR getting Dsg tune done.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Granulez !?!?
ergnxxbjk

He's alive!!

. . . Can you find an RSC pic for us

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I must've missed something.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Oh Stock DSG Tuning...Hello Old friend.

Well, if any should be taking notes, early build 2008.5 TSIs use the same processor as the old FSI engines in their DSG TCUs. Thus it cannot be tuned by APR. A nice little of nugget of knowledge to have.

Nevertheless they were able to flash me with a newer revision OEM file with my same box code and remove the Unitronic Tuning for no charge.

A Few Items of Notice:
- IMMEDIATELY, the smoothness has returned.
- The off start throttle slip so inherent of DSGs is now back making for smoother acceleration.
- Throttle blips are now back. I've always loved the burps.
- Smooth WOT D-Mode has returned in Staged mode. I used to not be able to drive in tuned mode due to its harsh shifts.

I'm happy overall to now be stock DSG tuned again. With just APR Stage 1 and DG Springs, I'm now on the back straight of owning this car. 108K and its still giving hiccups, but overall it should last me.

Needs new tires and windshield.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Oh Stock DSG Tuning...Hello Old friend.

Well, if any should be taking notes, early build 2008.5 TSIs use the same processor as the old FSI engines in their DSG TCUs. Thus it cannot be tuned by APR. A nice little of nugget of knowledge to have.

Nevertheless they were able to flash me with a newer revision OEM file with my same box code and remove the Unitronic Tuning for no charge.

A Few Items of Notice:
- IMMEDIATELY, the smoothness has returned.
- The off start throttle slip so inherent of DSGs is now back making for smoother acceleration.
- Throttle blips are now back. I've always loved the burps.
- Smooth WOT D-Mode has returned in Staged mode. I used to not be able to drive in tuned mode due to its harsh shifts.

I'm happy overall to now be stock DSG tuned again. With just APR Stage 1 and DG Springs, I'm now on the back straight of owning this car. 108K and its still giving hiccups, but overall it should last me.

Needs new tires and windshield.

1 post can change a whole outlook. now i want to see how my stock dsg software feels when i get home. ill change it back in an hour.. but as you've prob heard me say, the uni dsg stage 1 has been flawless on my car really. the main issue with yours could have been that older FSI mechatronics.. maybe UNI doesnt account for that either...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
1 post can change a whole outlook. now i want to see how my stock dsg software feels when i get home. ill change it back in an hour.. but as you've prob heard me say, the uni dsg stage 1 has been flawless on my car really. the main issue with yours could have been that older FSI mechatronics.. maybe UNI doesnt account for that either...

Mostly definitely. Our Unitronic experiences have been quite the opposite effect. The fact I was willing to spend $600+ dollars to get rid of a free tune from them speaks volumes and I stand by my judgement 10 fold. I was not happy with it and I could not feasibly sell this car to someone with such a shit tune.

They didn't even force a code on the box. I checked the original box code + revision and everything had been the same, just different "dials" turned.

Overall, my DSG just did NOT like their tune. Would it have accepted any tune? That will continue to be a mystery, but now, I'm happy with the car to live with it for another year with the OEM DSG Tuning + APR Stage 1.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Mostly definitely. Our Unitronic experiences have been quite the opposite effect. The fact I was willing to spend $600+ dollars to get rid of a free tune from them speaks volumes and I stand by my judgement 10 fold. I was not happy with it and I could not feasibly sell this car to someone with such a shit tune.

They didn't even force a code on the box. I checked the original box code + revision and everything had been the same, just different "dials" turned.

Overall, my DSG just did NOT like their tune. Would it have accepted any tune? That will continue to be a mystery, but now, I'm happy with the car to live with it for another year with the OEM DSG Tuning + APR Stage 1.

your words always have stronger pull than most people on the forum.. given all your past history and contributions.. you make stage 1 sound so good.. but i already been thru that a few weeks ago with the reversal.. i still missed the stage 2 power, although i loved the stage 1 sound level..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
your words always have stronger pull than most people on the forum.. given all your past history and contributions.. you make stage 1 sound so good.. but i already been thru that a few weeks ago with the reversal.. i still missed the stage 2 power, although i loved the stage 1 sound level..

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with you definitely about Stage 2. Its great power and a perfect power band. Had my Early Build EA888 motor not be so finnicky with a downpipes, I'd have kept it that way. I believe that in 2008 when they started to build the Gen 2 motors they still had a lot of sorting out to do. Almost like they back logged the 2008's to accept the newer generation motor, when in 2009, the whole ECU, CAN, TCU communication was sorted out.

I've talked with many different 2008.5 TSI owners and they all share similar discussions of software issues going beyond stock and stage 1. Even more so for the CBFA owners.

Its tough to do a drastic change mid year like that instead of waiting to do a year over year end change. Engineers are still working on issues with the 2008 problems to drop the new TSI motor on their hands was probably too much at one time. So they probably played it conservative and kept a lot of the software system strategies the same from the FSI.

VW is a big company though with many engineers unlike a smaller company such as Honda.

What hiccups has it been giving you?

Many pages in this build thread voice my concerns.

The communication and system strategies between Unitronic's tune and APR's tune just does not cope well. Unitronic is looking for different variables while APR's ECU tune sends different load levels.

Its like two people talking in two different languages. They understand enough to get the job done, but not fluently enough to get the details right.

Also, as I mentioned above, my car has NEVER accepted too much from any tune. Early build Gen 2 EA888 motor issues. Should've gotten a 2009 TSI or a 2008 FSI. Prime bait for better quality.