GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Great driving roads...

avg_guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked up my black 4-door w/manual transmission!
I live so close to so many great driving roads, just couldn't resist:
PCH, Mulholland Hwy, Malibu Canyon, Topanga Canyon...
Went through almost an entire tank of gas the first day! :)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Hate. Nearest good driving road is a good 90 minute drive away :(

jhelm85

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back from a house hunting trip in northern CA

Mines Rd. just south of Livermore is great. Lots of twisty-turns along mountain ridges and a 45 mph speed limit. Only regret was having rented a G6.

Looking forward to discovering more roads out there.

On the east coast, I've heard of the Tail of the Dragon is also pretty nice on the TN-NC border. Unfortunately it looks like a 30 mph speed limit and lots of cops to enforce it.

Last edited:

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
I went to college in southwestern Virginia, fairly close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Somehow, I never made it up there, but a few friends did, and they loved it. The only problem with that road is traffic often makes it a lot less fun than it should be.

That said, one thing southwestern Virginia has a ton of is fun roads. If anyone here ever finds themselves around Blacksburg (Virginia Tech), Mount Tabor Road and Ellett Road are a blast.

Where I live now isn't so bad either. Litchfield County in Connecticut has a ton of great driving roads, though they're not quite as smooth as the ones I found in Virginia (you can blame our New England winters for that). Route 7 up through Kent can be a blast, traffic (or a lack thereof) permitting, and routes 343 and 45 going through the New Preston area are great too. I took a GTI on a test drive on route 45, I can't wait until my GTI actually comes in so I can repeat the process anytime I want... :D

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Litchfield is a lot of fun - some of the back roads up near Ski Sundown in New Hartford are a hoot too.

Near DC it's just way too built up to have much fun, without a drive to get away from it. I'll be hitting up Skyline Drive at the Blue Ridge Parkway (that's the 90 minute drive) sometime this summer for sure though!

jgs5607

Ready to race!
We do not have a lot of long fun roads, but there are plenty of 1 to 2 mile stretches with a lot of curves and hills (I drive one every day). Have to wait to make a road trip for long scenic drives.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
Ran Deals Gap several years ago when three of us did the four corners tour on our Beemers. Especially challenging avoiding the "In WAY over their heads" Harley riders and would be Sport bike riders who have wrecked.

Could NOT even imagine being one of the local State cops and having to deal with the wrecks there day in...day out.

FN in MT

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Just picked up my black 4-door w/manual transmission!
I live so close to so many great driving roads, just couldn't resist:
PCH, Mulholland Hwy, Malibu Canyon, Topanga Canyon...
Went through almost an entire tank of gas the first day! :)

Done those and you're right!

:thumbsup:

BTW, for those not aware of the beautiful sights in that area, you need to take some photos and post them. Where Topanga ends at the coast, the PCH is one of the most spectacular drives with the best views this country has to offer.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Just got back from a house hunting trip in northern CA

Mines Rd. just south of Livermore is great. Lots of twisty-turns along mountain ridges and a 45 mph speed limit. Only regret was having rented a G6.

Looking forward to discovering more roads out there.

On the east coast, I've heard of the Tail of the Dragon is also pretty nice on the TN-NC border. Unfortunately it looks like a 30 mph speed limit and lots of cops to enforce it.

I'm a tad envious of your upcoming relocation to Northern CA - that is my dream locale to live. Specifically just up the hill from Sausalito on PCH, where there is a small neighborhood near Muir woods. The best driving roads would be part of a daily commute. :thumbup:

BTW, I've got a hard copy of that same map of the Dragon, nice!

Also, don't worry bout the 30 mph limit, cops don't enforce the speed limit as much as they enforce crossing the double yellow. I've passed (going opposite direction) law enforement on several occasions there, going well above the posted speed limit with NO reaction from the PD. However, that changes once an accident occurs.