GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GS autox setup

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW, if you are getting shocks for autoX, you might as well get Koni Sport(yellow) as opposed to FSD. FSD's specifically is meant for comfort, as it is design to soften some high frequency, low amplitude input(road texture, tire texture...etc) but maintain body control. But its not primarily a sports shock....

Alduke22

Passed Driver's Ed
I have to stay with oem springs. A sales guy at tirerack told me the fsd was a better option because of that and the yellows were designed for use with lowering springs. Ride quality isn't my main concern. I just want to improve road holding/handling. If the yellows are the shocks that handle better and are good with standard springs then I'm in. If you have/had yellows what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yellows are basically the go-to for anyone in any car in street class. Not that expensive, offers improvement over stock.

If you are not caring too much for $$ there are Ohlins made for stock spring on MK6s too...

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I can vouch for Koni yellows on stock springs. It was either tire rack or esctuning that said they're fine with stock springs but recommend the softest setting.

My rears are 1/2 turn from full soft and I'm still experimenting with the front. It feels like a full turn (middle setting) is probably the point of diminishing returns. Even in the softer setting, I could feel an improvement in transitions, more-so in esses than slaloms.

Regarding ride quality, the Konis were an improvement over stock.

Arkaband

Ready to race!
I had the fronts at 1/2 turn from full stiff the last event and I felt more understeer on entry which is why I think the middle setting is probably the max for my setup.

Alduke22

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. Just ordered a set of yellows. $480 including shipping and no tax.
Do you have any sway bars. I have a rear.
How much if any has it improved your times?

Arkaband

Ready to race!
Rear sway bar here too. It helps but hard to say how much. At least as much as shocks.

Alduke22

Passed Driver's Ed
When I put the shocks on I'm going to adjust the camber on the rear as much as I can. Not too sure I want to mess with the toe out right now.

Dynamhik

Unfortunately going to miss the next few events, but in the mean time koni sports and rear sway going in!

Baetis

Running full GS allowances minus catback. High flow air filter, Tires are 225/40/18 Rivals, eibach rear bar on the stiff setting and koni yellows set 1.5 turns from soft in back and one turn from soft in front. It is very balanced and composed with almost neutral handling. Changing the front shocks to any firmer induces more understeer. I could use more rubber, but am very competitive with these settings.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Running full GS allowances minus catback. High flow air filter, Tires are 225/40/18 Rivals, eibach rear bar on the stiff setting and koni yellows set 1.5 turns from soft in back and one turn from soft in front. It is very balanced and composed with almost neutral handling. Changing the front shocks to any firmer induces more understeer. I could use more rubber, but am very competitive with these settings.

Do you daily the car with Koni also? How are they running the autoX setup in terms of ride compare to stock?

I won't be doing anymore stuff to the MK6, I am still waiting for the MK7 that I ordered but I will be thinking about shocks for the new car and Koni is probably the only realistic option.

Baetis

Yes, I dd the Koni setup and really like it. It feels better than stock both for dd and autocross. I have found that I like the fronts softer for autocross than I had them initially set. If they are too stiff, they don't rebound quickly enough for multiple quick inputs like a close slalom, lane change or angled Chicago box. Stiffer seems great for spirited road driving or perhaps on the track. Fwiw, stiffer isn't really stiffer. Since these are only rebound dampened, all you are adjusting is speed of rebound.

@RacingManiac - just ordered some 17x8 wheels and 245/40 Re71r !