GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gunkata’s “S3” A3 2.0T Quattro K04 Build

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I went with the HPA Coils after chatting with HPA extensively about coilover/spring options. The SHS are V1 with softer springs, revalved for road/daily driver usage, and they don't quite lower the car as far as V1s. I love how they run. A little more taut than when I ran Eibach prokit springs on OEM shocks, but certainly handle better, and have far more controlled body movement (both cornering and under accel/decel). They are very comfortable. The only time I notice a difference vs OEM or OEM + Prokit is on roads with multiple bumps/undulations in a row, the coils can get a little bouncy - but still not rough at all. I've been around dubs for about 10 years, and they are hands down the most comfortable coilover I've ridden in (compared to V1s, Konis, etc). Not sure how they'd hold up on the track, but they're fantastic for a daily driver.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gun feels about them. :)

Awesome review can't wait to install mine :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
And GunKata....the reason why you bought them?
What's the price you paid for them too?

Considering a set of those for my new '13 CC....but dunno if I should just get the V1's instead OR if the ride difference with the SHS is just that much better that they're worth it :iono:

Pretty much the reasons NS01GTI has been stating in this thread. I discussed things at length with Darryl at HPA, who is a very cool guy and super responsive to emails, etc. I've been in 2 cars with ST's and was pretty impressed with the ride quality, so when they said these should ride better than those, I was like shit... that's a no brainer then. I will be doing a full review/posting my impressions of them either Monday night or Tuesday during the day as they are going on this coming Monday.

Price - I think I paid $1195 shipped from Germany, from KW, but they are spec'd out by HPA in Canada.

I went with the HPA Coils after chatting with HPA extensively about coilover/spring options. The SHS are V1 with softer springs, revalved for road/daily driver usage, and they don't quite lower the car as far as V1s. I love how they run. A little more taut than when I ran Eibach prokit springs on OEM shocks, but certainly handle better, and have far more controlled body movement (both cornering and under accel/decel). They are very comfortable. The only time I notice a difference vs OEM or OEM + Prokit is on roads with multiple bumps/undulations in a row, the coils can get a little bouncy - but still not rough at all. I've been around dubs for about 10 years, and they are hands down the most comfortable coilover I've ridden in (compared to V1s, Konis, etc). Not sure how they'd hold up on the track, but they're fantastic for a daily driver.

^ and that's why I'm giving them a shot :)

Awesome review can't wait to install mine :)

oh awesome, another one! :w00t: its also good, because i can make comparison between the DG springs and these coils for everyone.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
oh awesome, another one! :w00t: its also good, because i can make comparison between the DG springs and these coils for everyone.

Is what I'm very curious about.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Is what I'm very curious about.

personally, after being in the cars with ST's, I thought they rode softer than the DG's.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
personally, after being in the cars with ST's, I thought they rode softer than the DG's.

:laugh::laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lol.. yep

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like they will squeeze in the boost gauge install (VDO , steering column mounted, I just cant do vents anymore) as well, so Monday should hopefully be a good day - pending all things go as planned.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
will take photos after 4x4 disease is cured.....

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Y U RIDE HIGH, A3?

BECAUSE Q5.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

How did you get info that they don't lower as much as the V1's?

For my CC application, he told me the lowering was the exact same as the V1's.
And as for softer springs....he wouldn't give me any info as to how much softer they were compared to the V1's (% wise or anything). He said it's top secret

So yeah...I'm torn between the V1's (for a hair cheaper) and the SHS coils

If anything, I fear the warranty with the SHS coils because they come directly from Germany and take a while to get.

The KW's though would come right away from California

As for riding softer than the Konis....wow....I can't believe you said that.
I thought the Konis were really soft (for a coilover), in a good way. But if you say they're softer....well, than that's amazing

Pretty much the reasons NS01GTI has been stating in this thread. I discussed things at length with Darryl at HPA, who is a very cool guy and super responsive to emails, etc. I've been in 2 cars with ST's and was pretty impressed with the ride quality, so when they said these should ride better than those, I was like shit... that's a no brainer then. I will be doing a full review/posting my impressions of them either Monday night or Tuesday during the day as they are going on this coming Monday.

Price - I think I paid $1195 shipped from Germany, from KW, but they are spec'd out by HPA in Canada.

Thanks for the info too.

Look forward to what you think, because I'm REALLY on the fence between these & the V1's

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
technically, don't all KW's come from Germany? they may just stock more here of the usual V1, V2, V3, etc, in Cali. With the way I "roll", who knows if I would ever need a rebuild or anything if I actually have the same suspension or car more than a few years, lol.

I have not heard about the not going lower than V1's nor the softer than Koni's, only heard that they were softer than the ST's, which are very soft imho.

I will be doing a review probably Tuesday morning after I get to work to compare to stock and then the DG springs from when I had them on my GTI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Modshack intake goes on in the morning...

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Thanks again, GunKata.