GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R Sport or Eibach Pro Kit. Clarification?

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Hey Guys, I am currently between the Eibach Pro Kit springs and the H&R Sport springs, here is my dillema. I am looking for a drop lower than the DG Springs, but something easy as a daily driver.

I am trying to seperate fact from fiction, I was told that the Eibach pro-kit Springs on the MK6 are actually lower than suggested and give a raked appearance. I had also read on another post that the H&R sports, despite a lower advertised drop is actually closer to a 1" drop and not as low as the Eibach Pro.

There was a post on Vortex that had a number of spring combinations, but I cannot for the life of me find it again. I also did some searching within this forum and any confirming information was sparse.

I am hoping that individuals with direct experience with either of these springs can chime in.

Thank you in advance everyone!

Last edited:

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
H&R Sports drop lower than Pro Kits, fact.

H&R Sport

Pro Kits

Not a huge difference, but it's definitely in favor of the H&R Sports in terms of lowness.

As far as the Pro-Kits giving a raked appearance, google images is your friend. Decide for yourself if they look raked. As far as them being lower than suggested, that's probably someone saying that they look lower in real life than they do in pictures (or something along those lines). They are not going to be literally lower than Eibach suggests.

I would recommend H&R Sports over the Pro Kits simply because I do not believe the Pro Kits offer enough of a drop to justify the money, but it's all a personal decision. I'm sure the Pro Kits handle great if combined with good struts, and they certainly do eliminate some of the stock wheel gap. Edit: forgot to say that either setup should be fine for a DD.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
That red one has to be super sports, this is the sports

I agree. From all the pics that I've seen, I would say that the ProKit is indeed lower than the H&R Sports (espcially in the front).

That red 4 door GTi has a Euro rear plate. Don't the Euro spec GTI's sit lower from the factory than the U.S. spec to begin with?

That may explain the reason why this H&R Sport drop is lower.

The rear tires are practically tucking on that car. The Sprorts won't drop it that much

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/showthread.php?4998770-Official-Spring-Cup-Kit-Picture-Thread

absoluteczech is the op of the thread i found that red 4dr pic in, so I'm sure he can chime in on whether or not it is actually on Sports. I too had my doubts that they are really sports, but there might be a hell of a lot of stuff in the back of the car. As for the comment about the Euro spec sitting lower and that potentially affecting the drop, that is false. The later 08/09 MKV GTIs were lower than 06/07 MKVs, but throw on any spring on any year and it will sit the same (the end result is always the same; take for example the H&R Sports: it didn't matter what year you had, it would always end up sitting the same. It's just that the earlier models had a 1.5" drop since they came higher from the factory, and the later models had a 0.9" drop since they came lower from the factory). Think about it: if the Euro spec GTIs sit lower from the factory, it's because their springs are lower. If you put in aftermarket springs, you're replacing those stocks. Regardless of what the stock springs put you at, the end result is always whatever height the aftermarkets put you at.

Finally, the Pro Kits are not lower than H&R Sports. That is misinformation. From H&R's own website, the Sports give a 1.2" drop. From Eibach's own website, the Pro Kits give a 0.8" drop. Also, it has been common knowledge since the MKV days that the Pro Kits are the least aggressive aftermarket springs (well, technically the H&R OE Sports, which are not regular sports, are the least aggressive), and H&R Sports are moderately aggressive. I would know these things because I compiled the largest list of suspension mods on the MKV forums and spent days doing research.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The red 4dr sits like mine which is on H&R Super Sports.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
^I will admit the pictures make it look like that, but I think absoluteczech is a reputable guy and he's the one who posted those pics as H&R Sports in the forum I linked. In any case, that doesn't matter, all that does matter is that people get that Pro Kits do not drop as much as Sports.

Pro Kits

Sports

Last edited:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^I will admit the pictures make it look like that, but I think absoluteczech is a reputable guy and he's the one who posted those pics as H&R Sports in the forum I linked. In any case, that doesn't matter, all that does matter is that people get that Pro Kits do not drop as much as Sports.

absoluteczech has a CW 2dr (so that is not his car) and used to have H&R Sport springs, not Super Sports.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
absoluteczech has a CW 2dr (so that is not his car) and used to have H&R Sport springs, not Super Sports.

I know what absoluteczech drives. If you check the link I posted to that other forum he is still indeed the person who posted those pictures of the red 4dr in an official spring thread he started. And I never said he had super sports:iono:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I know what absoluteczech drives. If you check the link I posted to that other forum he is still indeed the person who posted those pictures of the red 4dr in an official spring thread he started. And I never said he had super sports:iono:

So my point is when you're not posting vehicles that you own, its easy to get confused and confuse others when specific questions are being asked. ;)

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
^thanks. the drop he quotes matches perfectly with what H&R's website says the Sports will give you, so I think that confirms it?

alig20031

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same wheels and have been thinking about getting springs... or maybe coils... I wonder if I would rub at all?

Not even close to rubbing, you would have to go a lot lower or have less offset or spacers to even get close.