GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H&R Street Performance SS Coilovers from AWE

BeauG

Ready to race!
I know there are at least a few of you who are considering these coilovers, so this will be my post for ride quality, height, dampening etc.

Just received the UPS shipment today during lunch. Coils are going on tonight. I'll post some before/after pictures tomorrow night once everything is all said and done.

Thanks to JV from AWE for taking the extra time and effort to scout out whether or not the SS (Adjustable Dampening) coils were available. At first there were no signs of them, but after some warehouse inventory searching, JV was able to get the coils drop-shipped to me. I really appreciated the effort and because of that excellent service I will be purchasing from AWE again!

BSH insert coming in saturday, still no ETA on my APR catback. Sheesh, you would think APR would plan for extra sales when they are having a giant 10% off sale.

Anyway, next on the list, wheels! Can't decide between 18s or 19s!!!!

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I was thiiiiis close to buying those same coilovers from AWE. I'm hoping to take delivery of my KW setup later tonight. Definitely interested to see your feedback, we'll see if buyers remorse sets in :D

BeauG

Ready to race!
I just decided on those coils too. They just came out....still saving. Let me know what you think.....

OK, so the coils are installed! So far I'm absolutely loving them, the ride is fantastic, though a tad stiffer than stock as to be expected. I have them cranked almost all the way up right now until they settle. At this setting I could really go down another inch and a half easily. I'll try to get some pictures today, it was too dark last night to get anything useful.

In the rear my tires are just BARELY starting to tuck if viewing it directly from the side, and in the front they are about even with the fender. If its still like this once they settle I'll probably go down in the front another half inch or so. I'm going for a TAME drop, and so far I'm very satisfied.

The springs and hardware are straight up H&R, but the shock bodies are Konis. I'm pretty sure this is different than the regular Street Performance kit since I went with the SS kit. Either way I love Koni too so its a plus in my book.

I haven't messed with the dampening yet, and it actually feels pretty balanced right now so I probably won't unless I'm headed to the track.

I WILL need to adjust my bi-xenons because they self-adjusted from the new suspension geometry and I have about 50ft of visibility at night now haha, but thats just a quick VCDS setting and I'll be good. I'll try to get pictures today! even though my car is pretty dirty, at least to show you where it sits when you have it almost all the way up.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
OK, so the coils are installed! So far I'm absolutely loving them, the ride is fantastic, though a tad stiffer than stock as to be expected. I have them cranked almost all the way up right now until they settle. At this setting I could really go down another inch and a half easily. I'll try to get some pictures today, it was too dark last night to get anything useful.

In the rear my tires are just BARELY starting to tuck if viewing it directly from the side, and in the front they are about even with the fender. If its still like this once they settle I'll probably go down in the front another half inch or so. I'm going for a TAME drop, and so far I'm very satisfied.

The springs and hardware are straight up H&R, but the shock bodies are Konis. I'm pretty sure this is different than the regular Street Performance kit since I went with the SS kit. Either way I love Koni too so its a plus in my book.

I haven't messed with the dampening yet, and it actually feels pretty balanced right now so I probably won't unless I'm headed to the track.

I WILL need to adjust my bi-xenons because they self-adjusted from the new suspension geometry and I have about 50ft of visibility at night now haha, but thats just a quick VCDS setting and I'll be good. I'll try to get pictures today! even though my car is pretty dirty, at least to show you where it sits when you have it almost all the way up.

Dude thats awesome. Didn't think you would get them installed so quick.
The new stainless steel inline that you have is really the best of both worlds. I did so much reading comparing all the coil kits from konis to fk's and whatnot. This kit seemed to really be the best and is a new development to. Not only are you getting stainless shock bodies not you can adjust dampening and you are getting a the best shocks which are koni. I think all around this one was the best for me in terms of ride, lowering ability, adjustment and quality. H and R works with VW a lot more and I knew that sometimes Koni's kits can be a little so soft for tracking even though they are really great kits. I just wanted to be somewhere in the middle and the fact that stainless will hold up better than plated steel.

BeauG

Ready to race!
I'll snap some quick pictures when I get out of work in about an hour. Car is dirty but you'll get the idea, haha.

JhnR

Banned
let me see those pics!

BeauG

Ready to race!
Well, I was going to post pictures of my drop, but unfortunately someone decided that they didn't want me to post them. I was forced off the road when someone pulled into my lane at from a side street at an intersection and stopped. Apparently he was attempting to cross traffic and head the direction opposite me. I was travelling home from work, not speeding or driving recklessly in any way, and he just pulled out. The truck travelling next to me NARROWLY missed hitting him, and I was forced to swerve to the left onto the divider to avoid hitting him or oncoming traffic. I took out a street sign which left some nasty damage to my passenger side bumper, fender, and both passenger doors. The front passenger wheel impacted the curb/divider, bending and going flat, and at least some portion of my undercarriage was also damaged, causing damage to the oil pan which subsequently drained out onto the roadway. I was able to shut the engine off, hopefully before a lack of lubricant caused any internal damage, but I do not know what the extent of damage is to the underside of my car.

The accident investigation found the driver of the vehicle that cut into my lane to be at fault (no shit seeing as how almost two people hit him). Naturally, all he got was a warning for failure to yield and was sent merrily on his way. Sort of makes me wish I had hit him. Not the best way to start my Friday night. I'm so unbelievably upset right now. My car is less than two months old. I hope I didn't take any frame damage from hitting the curb, in my experience cars are never the same after being pulled on a frame machine.

If its just cosmetic damage and an oil pan, I'll be a little less upset, but chances are I won't find out until Monday exactly what the extent of damage is.

It just kills me. I'm not going to pretend that I am some goody two shoes driver. I wouldn't be stage II if I never got on the gas here and there. I understand those risks, and I take the seriously, I never "race" people on main roads or drive in a manner which would be considered out of control. This time, I was 100% driving safely, there was no-one in front of me, I had a clear view ahead of me, and I was travelling the speed limit trying to save some damn money on gas. Some asshole just pulls out in front of 3 lanes of traffic in his POS prius, and fucks up my whole month.

FUCK :(:(:(:(:(

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
wow really? they sent him on his way? Sorry to hear of this man. Thats ridiculous. I'd prob at least get his insurance or tag number. If his insurance doesn't do anything and your oil pan is fucked that is serious stuff. I'd prob find out where he lives and piss in his gas tank. Nope I'm not kidding either. Thats total BS. I get assholes like that at work all the time. This is partially why I'm buying a diesel geek skid plate....its 300 bucks shipped...search it on google. Good luck man....post updates....again I'm sorry to hear of this but fuck that guy that cut everyone off. He shouldn't get off scott free....thats insane.

BeauG

Ready to race!
wow really? they sent him on his way? Sorry to hear of this man. Thats ridiculous. I'd prob at least get his insurance or tag number. If his insurance doesn't do anything and your oil pan is fucked that is serious stuff. I'd prob find out where he lives and piss in his gas tank. Nope I'm not kidding either. Thats total BS. I get assholes like that at work all the time. This is partially why I'm buying a diesel geek skid plate....its 300 bucks shipped...search it on google. Good luck man....post updates....again I'm sorry to hear of this but fuck that guy that cut everyone off. He shouldn't get off scott free....thats insane.

I got his insurance info because they said he was at fault, but still... There were no witnesses so if this guy denies it I'm not sure what chance I have of getting his insurance to pay.

I'm just fucking RAGING because I have NEVER been in an accident, NEVER gotten a ticket OR a warning of any type, I was just headed home from work and this guy just ruined my week. Nothing like getting into an accident to ruin the high of having new parts on your car.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
I got his insurance info because they said he was at fault, but still... There were no witnesses so if this guy denies it I'm not sure what chance I have of getting his insurance to pay.

I'm just fucking RAGING because I have NEVER been in an accident, NEVER gotten a ticket OR a warning of any type, I was just headed home from work and this guy just ruined my week. Nothing like getting into an accident to ruin the high of having new parts on your car.

Ya i feel ya. I'd be doing the same thing too. I'd be going nuts

Just get the police report copied and all info you have. If the guy doesn't want to pay....take his ass to court. While your at it find a good custom body shop that works on modded cars and buy that skid plate with the insurance money too. Our oil pans ride low.:thumbsup:

cmb5286

Ready to race!
anyone else have these? i was hoping to get some more insight as to ride quality and some pictures before pulling the trigger