GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Good idea. I do not have one but I'm sure I can pick one up at radio shack.
I wouldn't think its a battery related issue that would only give you trouble starting the car.. Once the car is running the power comes from the alternator and the battery acts more like a filter than anything. I would measure the leads coming off the alternator and see if it's fluctuating. This is why when your battery dies you can get a jump and drive home without shutting the car off, assuming your alternator is good. Technically you should be able to disconnect the battery all together after you start the car and not notice a diff. I haven't tried it with these cars maybe they're diff since they're so electronic and have sensors on every damn thing, but every other car/truck I've ever owned worked that way.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't think its a battery related issue that would only give you trouble starting the car.. Once the car is running the power comes from the alternator and the battery acts more like a filter than anything. I would measure the leads coming off the alternator and see if it's fluctuating. This is why when your battery dies you can get a jump and drive home without shutting the car off, assuming your alternator is good. Technically you should be able to disconnect the battery all together after you start the car and not notice a diff. I haven't tried it with these cars maybe they're diff since they're so electronic and have sensors on every damn thing, but every other car/truck I've ever owned worked that way.

Yeah, I have ruled out the battery. Interestingly enough, I haven't had the issue since I last posted in here. Weird German gremlins for sure. I hope I did not jinx myself!

hoesty

Lately I have been noticing that the traction control light would come on every now and then, and I would even experience wheel hop when launching the car. I felt that something was off with the Haldex functionality so a visit to my local VW dealership resulted in the following fault being identified:

02248 003 Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

Needless to say I'm a bit surprised such a failure would occur in a stock car at 43,000 miles. What surprised me more is that the dealership claimed this wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty as it is an electronic related part? Needless to say I have e-mailed VW Care to get a confirmation.

In any case, I've been trying to shop around for the P/N they said I would need : 0BR907554C. I haven been very lucky even at ECS Tuning so if you guys have any recommendations that would be appreciated.

The other alternative I've been considering is since the Haldex controller went bad I could consider the HPA controller since the price is about the same.

Hey man, thanks for posting this thread, I know it was sometime ago, but I have not seeen any others when searching the web.

I'm getting the same code and description on my Gen4 Haldex 2012 Tiguan - Intermittently it'll have this code and it will deactivate haldex, but if I restart the car, it corrects itself.

Haldex Clutch Control Valve - Mechanical Malfunction - DTC 02248

Assuming the control unit came with a new clutch control valve aswell?

Did you notice if the Haldex was working much better than when it was working prior to this issue?

J

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hey man, thanks for posting this thread, I know it was sometime ago, but I have not seeen any others when searching the web.

I'm getting the same code and description on my Gen4 Haldex 2012 Tiguan - Intermittently it'll have this code and it will deactivate haldex, but if I restart the car, it corrects itself.

Haldex Clutch Control Valve - Mechanical Malfunction - DTC 02248

Assuming the control unit came with a new clutch control valve aswell?

Did you notice if the Haldex was working much better than when it was working prior to this issue?

J
If you do a quick search on a fix for the code you will find that at least a couple of folks had water damage to the circuit board because seal is not all that strong on the controller. In one case a shop was able to simply pull the board out clean it and re-varnish it, then reseal the case . In the other case I saw the user had to fix a broken connection between one side of the board to the other by soldering in a short piece of wire. Again cleaned the board and resealed the case. Seems that the case maybe not good at keeping water out.

You could pull your unit and give it a try. It is fairly easy to remove and replace (youtube videos on the process).

Link to Audi guy who fixed his own.

Link to another guy who had shop fix his