GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlights left on . Can jump battery without damage? Sirius renewal on hold.

redlulu

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTI is my first car in years without an automatic off for the headlights when you turn off the car. I left the headlights on all night and when Sirius was asking me to go turn on the radio so they could reactivate my expired free subscription (50% off for the year!) I found a dead GTI.What a dufus.

I have a 450 amp battery pack unit. If I connect it to positive and ground to the frame can I jump start the GTI without damaging any electronics?
Does VW road service cover this type of goof up?

daihard

Ready to race!
You should just trust the "lights on" warning chime. ;-)

pbm317

Passed Driver's Ed
I must've been too tired to hear my headlight chime last night, and left the lights on. Came out this morning to a dead battery. I think it's kinda crazy that a 2010 car doesn't have some sort of auto time-out on headlight power.

VW roadside assistance came to jump start the car, took a while but it finally started. However now my sunroof and power seatbacks (I have a 5 door) don't work. The fuses look ok, and the fuse box map in the manual seems to be pretty incomplete/inaccurate.

Going in to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully get the leaky rear washer nozzle taken care of at the same time.

OzGTI1

Ready to race!
Of course, that's what VW Roadside Assistance is for. You don't need to tell them the full story. Just tell them you left your lights on and the battery is dead. They'll boost you.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
My chime doesn't always go off -- it's some combination of me opening the door before I turn the car off, or at the same time or something.