GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up to those with Keyless Entry

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
??? you still have to turn off the car.... wtf.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I never had a Keyless start vehicle before , so I have no clue how it works!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The Mercedes and an Acura were impounded by investigators, who want to learn if either of the vehicles has keyless ignition and whether one of them was left running in the closed garage and then ran out of gas. Neither was running when deputies arrived.
Gosh, I wonder what methods they will use to make these discoveries?

Not to make light of the situation but keyless ignition is really irrelevant.

These folks didn't die because of the cars ignition type, but due to their lack of situational awareness.

*thread title should read ignition instead of entry.

jerm

Ready to race!
Sounds like they couldn't hear the car running, and either forgot or thought they pushed the button. None-the-less, sad to hear, but people are the owners of their own life -- make a mistake and you might just pay.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
That sucks to hear... but I don't understand why they would have keyless ignition when they:

1. Live in florida, with zero reason to have to warm up a car.

2. Have the car parked in the garage, with the same reason as above.

I can see how that button could be accidentally pushed on a key fob too, maybe they sat on it or put something down on it. I really see no purpose to them, though, just go start your car when you get in it and want to go somewhere!

With lawmakers putting all these restrictions on cars with the intention of making them safer (read: protecting people from themselves) I'm surprised that this hasn't been targeted yet!

marcellino

Passed Driver's Ed
I've started my previous car with the remote start while it was in the garage...but I knew it as soon as I did it. Most remote starts turn off the car after 15 minutes if you don't put the key in the ignition. My previous car also had an option for it to start itself up every 30 minutes and run for 10 minutes, and you had to go start the car manually to get it to turn off that option.

They might have bought a car, like the old Pontiac G6 GT, that came with remote start as a standard option.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^You guys are missing it. Those cars didn't have remote start but a push button ignition.

Without the use of keys, you can get out of the car and leave it running without a "reminder". Having your car key attached to your house key (like most of us do) sorta forces you to shut your car off once at home.

They simply were not aware of their situation and paid the ultimate price.

If you read the article, its a bit frustrating. People suing the automakers for not having warnings that the car is running. The term "personal responsibility" is leaving many it seems.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Darwin FTW?

GTITX1

Ready to race!
While this was probably just olds being deaf and forgetting, I really don't like the whole "push button" thing, I prefer the ones where the ignition simply has a cover over it, that you can take off and put a key in should you ever have the batteries in your transmitter die. It then has the same "turn to start, turn to stop" function, and makes forgetting no less likely.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
^^You guys are missing it. Those cars didn't have remote start but a push button ignition.

Without the use of keys, you can get out of the car and leave it running without a "reminder". Having your car key attached to your house key (like most of us do) sorta forces you to shut your car off once at home.

They simply were not aware of their situation and paid the ultimate price.

If you read the article, its a bit frustrating. People suing the automakers for not having warnings that the car is running. The term "personal responsibility" is leaving many it seems.

Ah, I see. That's mind boggling then.

StayStetti

Banned
You still need a key for the ignition. The car senses the key, and allows it to start. Atleast that's how it is on my dad's CLS. There is no 'auto off' feature or anything like that.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
You still need a key for the ignition. The car senses the key, and allows it to start. Atleast that's how it is on my dad's CLS. There is no 'auto off' feature or anything like that.

my wife's car will start beeping if you get out of the car while running and have the key, but it will not turn off the car.