GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heavy Performance Modding...a bad investment but THAT BAD?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Trying to sell a car with a BUNCH of mods on it? No go....you will never get back that money.

Part out? You'll get a lot more than what you expected from the above option. THat's my plan when I sell my car.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
I've always looked at modding as an experience, just like a vacation. People spend thousands of dollars on trips around the world. If they spend 5k or even 10k and get little of that back, like the vacation, at least they had fun.

My last car had 9k in mods. When those parts were taken off and sold, I got 5k back. The difference was the price paid for enjoyment.

This. And the amount of $$$ varies depending on the person.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
This is why I try to buy used or second-hand parts when I can. Let someone else take the hit on the initial purchase, rather than losing the money upfront yourself. I've purchased an APR k04, coilovers, catback, downpipe, two sets of wheels, etc that were either used or BNIB for a pretty discounted price. I've modded my car for A LOT less than most of the people on this forum. It blows my mind how many people will go out and blow $2500 on a tune and turbo back, when I spent somewhere around half of that and my car is just as fast as the next guy's.

I do the same...You just need to keep your eyes peeled for deals and jump when the opportunity presents itself....Even if the parts are further down the list of current mod needs. I've gotten lots of great deals this way..

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well, the car that I started the thread about is a pretty extreme example of the "part out or lose your ass" ethos. If the guy kept his stock parts someone handy with a wrench and local could buy his car and turn a pretty decent profit.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
?! I am saying buy the better car to begin with so that you don't have to waste money on mods

Buy a car and NOT mod it?????????????????????

Last edited:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Don't gotta tell me twice :)
I picked up a BNIB APR k04 with software for just over 2k shipped, BNIB FK Streetlines for $375, ATP DP for about half price, euro lip for $30 off retail, etc. I've broken even on every set of wheels that I've bought and sold, including the cost to mount & balance the tires.

I expect to get at least 80% of my "investment" back if/when I part out my car.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Buy a car and NOT mod it?????????????????????

Well everything should be done in MODeration :bellyroll:

Currently even my POS Golf has 3K in mods

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I have to agree with Steve, any car I purchase..........WOULD HAVE to be modded.

Whether its a truck, new MK7 GTI, or other models I cannot name, I would have to know to modability.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I have to agree with Steve, any car I purchase..........WOULD HAVE to be modded.

Whether its a truck, new MK7 GTI, or other models I cannot name, I would have to know to modability.

LOL...Yup! Even my "Parts Runner" pick-up has some Modshack Mods on it....:w00t:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
cars, and anything related to cars should never be considered an "investment". They are a depreciating item (to which most pay some level of interest on), and unless you buy something super rare, or it somehow turns out to be a 2004 MKIV R32 with only 200 miles on it, it wont ever go up or really hold its value too well as the years go by.

Agreed on keeping stock parts and parting out before sale/trade-in is usually best. However, once in a blue moon, you can find an enthusiast who may appreciate most or all of your mods and get a fair price for the car AND the mods, but that is rare.

Blueteam

Ready to race!
I generally avoid modded cars... I'd go as far as to say I would pay much less for a modded car unless you could prove to me that the mods are done properly and the car was maintained to meet the new standard of performace..

If you can't provide recipts of every synth oil change or prove you did it your self every 5000k,,, I would take what you spent on your mods and reduce that from the price of a stock excellent condition car..

I would grill you about the maintanance and try to be buddy buddy with you to see how often you abused the car and then throw it back at you come price negotiation time.

Then i would asses the mods.. one cheap mod or aftermarket part would cancel the deal.

On the flip side i know ALH TDI guys that have done very good quality mods where you would be a fool not to pay the extra to get them already installed, vr6 g60 clutch, vnt 17 or 20 turbo, larger 5th gear..etc.. they may be abused a little more than a regular tdi but that ALH engine be solid!!!

Merkle

Banned
LOL...Yup! Even my "Parts Runner" pick-up has some Modshack Mods on it....:w00t:

That's the Nissan 4.0l correct?, I have been looking at trucks mainly between the Tacoma and Frontier. Both have very strong engines, but the Nissan has about 20 more hp&tq.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
To the buying public, mods suggest the car was driven harder than the next one. And driven harder can mean that parts will wear out quicker or need replacement sooner than they otherwise would have. That's why mods almost always reduce the car's value.

Best way is to part the stuff out and sell it on a forum like this one.

I never understood the "mod it to the gills" crowd. Where you spend $9k on performance parts on a $25k car. Because you could have just bought a much better $34k car. Especially if you're willing to buy used. Because you can get some hella nice used cars for $34k. That's Porsche Cayman S territory.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
chances are I'll probably keep the GTI for 10+ years and if I am ready to move on, probably give it to a relative, etc. That has been the case with almost all the cars in my family so I'll see.