GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Leith Cary doesn't have it. They want you to pay for the tool and then charge an hour of labor to program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The B version is for cars with MIB2 head units. Non B may have issues with these units hence the revised version.

Can you expand on that or provide some information to substantiate that? Considering everyone who has installed this purchased the non-B version, and the Helix interacts with only power and speaker level ins and out from the MIB2 unit, how would the Helix know what head unit is being used?

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you expand on that or provide some information to substantiate that? Considering everyone who has installed this purchased the non-B version, and the Helix interacts with only power and speaker level ins and out from the MIB2 unit, how would the Helix know what head unit is being used?

Only what I have read, seem to recall some issue with the amp and the HU.

Use the search function and have a look.

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
The one for sale on eBay is the original version (non B) and the listing states it's for early mk7's. Dates listed just happen to be the MIB1 system.

Seems to corroborate the non compatibility issue with MIB2 systems.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I wonder if the "B" models are always advertised as such. I don't recall making efforts to find a "B" model and my receipt shows "000051419" as the part number. It came with a couple of extra wiring adapters, presumably for the older cars since I didn't need them. The system works fine in my 2017 GTI. Does anyone with a known "B" model recall if extra connectors came with their package?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Only what I have read, seem to recall some issue with the amp and the HU.

Use the search function and have a look.

I searched significantly through all Helix related posts when I put this thread together, and don't remember seeing anything other than posts along the lines of "my US dealership couldn't get the B version" but that only German or European dealers had the B version.

I just read through this 17 page thread on Vortex again and all I saw were people saying "I think that..." but nothing directly from VW about an incompatibility. Two users confirmed the wiring harness and amp were different part numbers, but the harnesses were still visually identical and pinned the same, as were the installations and function. Someone also said their dealer had their VW Accessory rep confirm the non-B part number fit a 2016+ Golf with MIB2 before buying.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7251981-Helix-Subwoofer-and-Golf-R

The VW Parts website lists both part numbers. The B part number listing shows compatibility with all of the same earlier vehicles (2009+) all the way up to 2018, while the non-B part number only lists compatibility up to 2016. Considering 2016 vehicles were MIB2, I'd say it's compatible per VW. It's likely then that the B part number will eventually replace the non-B once warehouses are out of stock in the US. That matches information I had found about the B part only being available in Europe, where this kit is made. No sense in exporting revision parts before the old part is wiped out. The change in VWs MSRP on the non-B part supports that as well.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Spare-Tire-Mount-Subwoofer--Soundbox/53859989/000051419.html

https://parts.vw.com/p/Spare-Tire-Mount-Subwoofer--Soundbox/70346182/000051419B.html

We've got a lot of MIB2 installs here including myself working just fine. Unless official information showing incompatibility comes up I'm going to leave the part number in the original post as the non-B part. I will add a note about a potential revision part number that will replace it in the future as evidence supports that.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I wonder if the "B" models are always advertised as such. I don't recall making efforts to find a "B" model and my receipt shows "000051419" as the part number. It came with a couple of extra wiring adapters, presumably for the older cars since I didn't need them. The system works fine in my 2017 GTI. Does anyone with a known "B" model recall if extra connectors came with their package?

I'm confident at this point that the B part number is a revision and will eventually be the only part available. At this point the only users to have the B revision are in Europe or who sourced the kit from Europe, and the kit and harness/amp part numbers are definitely different. Two users did confirm the harnesses were "identical" between the two kits:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7251981-Helix-Subwoofer-and-Golf-R/page6

I have a little knowledge of manufacturing, my theory is that Helix produced a large amount of non-B part number kits YEARs ago at the request of VW, or that they have had multiple production runs over the years.

The B part number then exists because of some changes in internal components or how the parts are manufactured at Helix which required new component part numbers. The only way to track those kits for warranty, sales, etc. is by changing the kit part number.

kdub808

Ready to race!
Bump for visibility!

Looking for feedback if you have any.

Excellent write up! I was going to do one after I did the install videos but I'm glad I didn't, you are much more articulate than me and pretty much nailed it. [emoji1303]

Compuwhiz

Just finished install of the "000-051-419" part number Helix in my 2017 Golf TSi. Seems to be zero issues at all with the MIB2 system despite the missing "B" suffix.

Those plastic LATCH things on the back seat are a pain in the butt to remove.

One odd thing I noticed about my glovebox when doing the install... there was only one tiny rubber bumper thing that the door rests on when opened normally, even though there's a spot for one on both sides of the glovebox. It fell off when I dropped the glovebox all the way down. Guessing the other one just got missed during assembly or fell out during PDI.

I didn't need use a fish tape on the harness cable, I just reached up with my right arm as far as I could behind the glovebox and was able to grab the plastic connector that I fed through behind the head unit. If you have big arms though probably gonna need the tape.

I only listened to it for a few minutes in my garage, but even un-programmed it still seems like a great value for the $260 shipped I spent.

zjkim0711

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking to buy this kit too. Can anyone in here recommend a independent shop in Southern CA that would be willing to install this? I'm awful with installations when it comes to electrical.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Excellent write up! I was going to do one after I did the install videos but I'm glad I didn't, you are much more articulate than me and pretty much nailed it. [emoji1303]

Thank you! I just kept watching every post go past 20, 30, 40 pages that would be tough to sort through.

If you think anything is missing or should be added let me know!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Looking to buy this kit too. Can anyone in here recommend a independent shop in Southern CA that would be willing to install this? I'm awful with installations when it comes to electrical.

I'm not sure about the "willing" part of your question, but the shops that I've used or that are popular in the CA Subforum are:

Auto Union Tuning
Emanule Design
Four Seasons Tuning
Metric Autosport

You'll want to ask them about the willing, I've only used these shops for maintenance, tuning or hard part installations. Nothing electrical or interior.

Murf1

Ready to race!
Really there's almost nothing electrical about it. Give it a shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk