GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Choosing Tint

Which is the best value (price/quality/performance)?

• Llumar ATC - $200

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Suntek High Performance - $255

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 3M FX Premium - $269

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3M Color Stable - $369

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 3M Crystalline - $510

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

sh0ebox

Ready to race!
Getting ready to put some tint on so I called around some local shops to get quotes and availability. I live in Iowa so I don't have a ton of options, but below (and in the poll) is what I got regarding the films available and prices. Out of these, which do you think would be the best value in terms of quality and price?

Llumar ATC - $200
Suntek High Performanc - $255
3M FX Premium - $269
3M Color Stable - $369
3M Crystalline - $510

Thanks in advance

///Audience

Ready to race!
Only you can define what the best value is for yourself. Consider what you want the tint to do. Is it just for cosmetics and added privacy? Do you plan on only having the car a few years? If so, hold off on the expensive ceramics. Wanting to drastixay menomize heat and Uv/IR? The Crystalline will be your best bet but be prepared to pay for it.

The price for Suntek HP is very high. This is a metalized film which means the color will fade over a 5+ year timespan. A typical retail pricing with this film on a GTI should be closer to $200. $250+ should be Suntec Carbon (non metalized).

Last edited:

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I've spent quite a bit on tint over the years and i live in sunny california!

You have some excellent tint options actually, with 3m Crystalline being the best!

My only question for you is, for the pricing, how many of your windows will be covered? Are they going to tint your front windshield too?

I've found the best balance of price and quality is to get a 3m crystalline windshield, and then just get 3m color stable for the rest of your windows. I have 3m crystalline on my car and it honestly makes a HUGE difference in heat rejection compared to 3m colorstable.

Out of all your tints, the top two best are 3m Crystalline and close second would be 3m Colorstable.

Check my build thread for my tint reviews and my pricing quotes for how much i paid.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I can't phantom spending 500 or 370 dollars on tint. Just can't do it! Someone that is educated on widow tinting spit some knowledge that can sway me why its important because 500 bucks just don't make sense

///Audience

Ready to race!
I can't phantom spending 500 or 370 dollars on tint. Just can't do it! Someone that is educated on widow tinting spit some knowledge that can sway me why its important because 500 bucks just don't make sense

If you live in Texas where we have 90 days straight with temps over 100 degrees, having a high IR rejection window film not only keeps it tolerable inside the vehicle but also protects the interior leathers and plastics from fading and drying out. Not to mention be reduced glare through the windshield, privacy, cosmetic enhancement, and the safety benefits of the film when applied to a windshield and $500 is MORE than worth it. I will never own a vehicle in a hot climate without a full layer of tint on all the windows.

sh0ebox

Ready to race!
Thanks for the responses so far... they have been helpful and made me realize I left out some crucial information.

The prices include all side windows and the rear hatch (no front windshield).

Regarding what I am looking for in a tint... the weather in Iowa is quite variable... we do get very hot/sunny days but it's not significant or extended for the most part so maximum UV/heat rejection is not the top priority, but I think having moderate protection would be nice in addition to the aesthetic change.

I would prefer a non-metallized film just to avoid any potential reception issues but I have no experience with the extent of issues from metallized films so if it's not a big deal then I'm not too worried. I am leaning toward 3M color stable at the moment given the price compared to 3M Crystalline, but was hoping to get some input regarding whether the prices seem reasonable in the first place since I've got nothing to compare it to.

///Audience

Ready to race!
The metalized film should not cause any issues with your gti as you do not have a glass embedded antenna.

Consider going with Crystaline on the windshield and the next step down on the doors and hatch. People are always quick to dismiss the windshield since it's transparent and doesn't cosmetically change the vehicle, but it's your biggest piece of glass and the one that you have to sit behind and stare through every time you are in the car. It should have the most protection.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
If you live in Texas where we have 90 days straight with temps over 100 degrees, having a high IR rejection window film not only keeps it tolerable inside the vehicle but also protects the interior leathers and plastics from fading and drying out. Not to mention be reduced glare through the windshield, privacy, cosmetic enhancement, and the safety benefits of the film when applied to a windshield and $500 is MORE than worth it. I will never own a vehicle in a hot climate without a full layer of tint on all the windows.

agreed!!!!

Honestly if you live in a sunny state then having good tint will greatly benefit you. If your state is usually overcast and not too hot, then you really don't need the IR (infrared) protection. (IR rays are the ones responsible for heating your car up). At my work place i have to park outdoors for 9 hours at a time under direct sunlight. I have black leather interior and a black leather steering wheel. In the summer months, without tint, the steering wheel gets scalding hot and painful to touch. Same with the leather seats.

Also, when you're driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and you're in a non-tinted car, you can REALLY feel the heat of the sun through your front windshield. Initially, i regretted spending so much money on tint because i bought my car in october and immediately tinted it a week later. I had almost half a year to wait until it would start to actually get hot in california. However, once the summer months hit, i was so glad my windows were tinted. When i drove my dad's untinted SUV, the heat was almost unbearable and made me sweat even though the a/c was on. The sun's rays were reallly strong and still heating me up.

Also, nicer tints like 3m Colorstable and Crystalline are carbon based so they don't decrease the amount of light allowed into the car by too much; meaning at night time, you can still see very very clearly even with limo tint darkness. With the $200 tints that i've experienced, if you have limo tint darkness in the rear, it is difficult to see out of at night time because the less expensive tints are dye based as opposed to carbon based. Dyes can fade over time. The 3m crystalline and color stable will not fade and should be warrantied for lifetime.

So to help your decision, I suggest you assess your needs and what you want your tint to do.
If you live in a sunny state or you park under direct sun a lot or drive long distance a lot, GET EXPENSIVE TINT.

If you live in an overcast state, you don't drive a lot, and drive short distances, get whatever tint is cheaper for you and will not fade.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Also, if no windshield is included, those prices are HIGH. Crystaline should run $400 for a GTI, $550 with a windshield. $250 is about what our competitors (3m dealer) charge for Color Stable.

A GTI is a very tricky vehicle to tint correctly. Prices should be slightly above what a typical 2 or 4 door car should cost, but the prices you are getting around about $100 over what we charge in Texas.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Pricing: I agree with what Audience says.

3m Crystalline: Usually costs $250 for windshield alone. I say it is VERY worth getting your windshield tinted (the lightest color possible) during/ right before the hot summer months.

3M Colorstable: Usual cost is around $300 for all windows not including windshield.

Your shop should cut you a deal, ask for discounts, say you're a poor student, and check to see if there are multiple car discounts like if you had a friend that brought in a car for tint as well, could the shop give you better pricing? (they should be able to because most tint shops are privately owned)

This should be how your pricing negotiation goes (it is important to follow the order):
01) Ask for pricing for desired tint set ups.
02) Ask for a discount from the price they just gave you because you're a poor student.
03) Ask if they can discount the price even more if you brought in an extra car to get tinted (good if you have a friend that needs tint too. use FaceBook to see if any friends need tint).
04) After they give you the final price, ask if tax will be charged. If tax will be charged, ask if you can get a discount (like no tax or 10% off) for paying in cash.

Make sure you ask about warranties for the tint and get the warranty in writing. Also, make sure the tint shop that is warrantying the job has been around for a couple of years and is reputable. There are many tint shops that open and close every year, and you don't want to go to one of those in case your tint gets messed up you want a shop you can go back to.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Well I feel like the 3m film that I bought does all of what you said...I paid 220 for 3m, don't know which line of 3m but I am sure it wasn't the top tier one.

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
I say crystalline if you plan on keeping the car for at least 2 years (to help balance the price).
I have it and it's definitely noticeable. Even during 100 degree weather, I can't feel the sun on my arm while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Well I feel like the 3m film that I bought does all of what you said...I paid 220 for 3m, don't know which line of 3m but I am sure it wasn't the top tier one.

The biggest difference between the lower tier 3m tint and the 2 higher end (color stable and crystalline) is:

-% of heat rejection/ IR Rays Rejection
-colorfastness/ high end tint will not fade nor turn purple
-lifetime warranty

You can argue that for the price of Crystalline, you could tint 2 cars with the lower end tints. However, they will never block as much heat as crystalline.

How much heat rejection is offered depends on how dark your tint is as well as the material. Typically, with the same material of tint, the darker the tint is, the more heat rejection is offered. However, with the crystalline line of tint, even though there are very very light colored, they still offer as much heat rejection as some of the 3m color stable dark tints.

3M Color stable in 5% Limo Darkness (5% darkness means 5% of actual light is allowed in) and it blocks about 47% of incoming heat.
3m Color stable in 50% darkness blocks 20% of incoming heat
3M Crystalline 70 (allows 70% of actual light into the car) blocks about 38% of heat.

Here's a chart that compares the different 3m tints.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...EVs6E666666--&fn=Auto WF Performance Data.pdf

CR is crystalline
CS is colorstable

My priority was quality, pricing was a close second.
I did Crystalline 70 for my windshield,
CR 60 for my front side windows,
and Color Stable 5% limo tint for my rear windows for privacy and good heat rejection.

How do y'all have discrete car sex in private if you don't have limo tint in the back??!?!

kennega

Ready to race!
If you live in a sunny state or you park under direct sun a lot or drive long distance a lot, GET EXPENSIVE TINT.

If you live in an overcast state, you don't drive a lot, and drive short distances, get whatever tint is cheaper for you and will not fade.

This. No one likes yelling over the air conditioning.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Also, i havent had to use a sunshade at all, even during the summer. My steering wheel gets very warm at most. On the flipside, you could just use one of those foil sun shades and keep it in your car.